Quality of internet reception on Rotterdam PC cruise FLL to San Diego

seattleslew

If there is an absolute need to be able to connect and have the internet available on a cruise, one needs to decide if a loss of speed or internet is a no go for cruising.

In spite of what has been posted about satellites, there is apparently areas where the signal strength will be weak or not available.  In that case, the ship's systems (navigation, communications, etc) will take priority.

One example is a partial transit of the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam a few years ago. Port calls also included the ABC islands and Costa Rica.

The weather was not cooperating with port calls and there was problems with internet service.

Of course there were the usual on board passenger experts who knew that new port of calls could be arranged at the drop a hat and how to fix the connectivity problems.

The Captain actually gave a lecture in the theater after Costa Rica was dropped because of high winds.  He very pointedly mentioned the presence of passenger experts and proceeded, with charts, maps to explain exactly the weather conditions and decisions that needed to be made to avoid rough weather on the way back to the home port.

He also included some very technical information on satellites,  internet connections and the priority of the ship's systems. Don't ask me to repeat; it was definitely beyond my technical skill of lateral and vertical readjustment of a hard drive. 

In any case, the on board experts were no longer shooting their mouths off.

Thanks Homassa. The technicalities of why internet on ships isn't reliable is definitely beyond my limited understanding. I just know that from experience I can't expect the same dependability or speed that I am accustomed to at home. And at home, I know that there's always a possibility in bad weather our internet service will be disrupted -- usually just at the time I really really think I need to use it!