first cruise- TA vs NCL

JjC81

We are booking our first cruise, and it is a big one- alaska! We have never cruised before.

I've been on phone with NCL and other cruise lines. Someone recommended a local travel consultant. I spoke with them.and they did a few quotes for us and answered a lot of questions. 

I was ready to book and spoke to a personal consultant with NCL and they cautioned against using a TA. They said that by using an agent if we had any questions NCL wouldnt be able to help us. The TA said that not true. It's just reservation they cant change. 

So what do we do? I'm clueless on cruise. I've also never used a travel agent. We do have questions about cruise, esp re dining due to multi allergies in group. 

Both have same perks and travel agent is $200 cheaper than NCL. 

So do we book with TA (free) or do we book with NCL? TA has been helpful so I feel bad but I dont understand what is meant by NCL cant help us since we used an agent. 

Help please 🙂

Find a good travel agent like a certified NCL agent they will guide you through the process they can handle assisting you with all your needs with a good TA you should get better deal than with NCL like ( cheaper or better room for same price or extra perks like covering gratuity)

We've used the same TA for our 22 NCL cruises.  On our first (Alaska),  she picked the room and assisted us with what benefits were available.  I had already settled on a ship based on what a friend had told me.   Also, she has always given us some OBC with every cruise.  After our first, I understood enough to be able to pick everything for myself.  I would then just give her the info and she would do all the booking for us.  Now, she is just like family.  In fact she says that I make it so easy for her, she should be giving me all of her commission.   If you use a TA, be sure to find out if they have any fees of their own like a cancellation fee if something comes up before final payment time.   Also, I get my travel insurance through her agency.  It is competitively priced.   However, just going direct with NCL isn't wrong either.  I just like having my own TA always readily available.   

A $200 difference is probably worth it. Just make sure your TA is very responsive. If they don't return calls within 24 hours, I would not use them. NCL is correct that if you see a price drop, you will need for your agent to change it. I had four price drops on my current cruise and NCL dropped the price with efficiency and a pleasant attitude. I book less expensive cabins and the perks from a TA aren't compelling.

I am sold on TAs.  I had no idea cruises could be discounted - every cruise my TA has worked with me on has had a substantial discount, paid to me as a discount off the total cruise price, somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 or 8%.  What I do is book directly with NCL online, make sure I really want it and didn't just get carried away :>, make any cabin changes I want up front (for example, on a December TA I had booked an aft balcony then switched into haven to make hubby happier), and then I transfer it to the TA.  You have 30 days, as long as you haven't paid in full, to do the transfer.  Not sure how it would work if you booked after final payment, you might have to do the actual booking through the TA.

Yes, my TA could have done all the above, but I wanted to get the basics out of the way first!

Before picking/transferring to a TA, ask them (in writing) how much of a discount or other benefit they will give you if you transfer your cruise to them - send them your confirmation so they know the details.

A good TA will look after you for years to come.  The one we use is in Alberta and we live in Ontario.  She was recommended by family.  Find one that is specifically a cruise consultant.  Ours works for the Cruise Ship Centre part of that big web-based travel site, so she has access to special bonuses.  She cruises a lot, and has very good input regarding different cruise lines.  She will even send us a gift in the mail to use on the ship and order us strawberries for the room.  Always prompt response times, too.  I don't have to wait on hold.