Silver Muse - Sydney cruise Terminal December 5&6, 2019

SSCAF001

I have seen that Silver Muse should be docked at White Bay cruise terminal and not at Circular Quay. I am a little bit disappointed. 

1/ do you think it is 100% sure or changes are still possible knowing there are still 50 days to go?

2/ if it is confirmed at White Bay do you know whether Silversea will provide a shuttle to go to Circular Quay, Harbour bridge and the Opera house?

Thanks. 

The Overseas Passenger Terminal (Circular Quay) is now reserved for ships that cannot sail under the Harbor Bridge and also for those disembarking/embarking.  The Port Authority website (https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/) shows the Ruby Princess at OPT on the 5th and the Carnival Spirit on the 6th.  The Muse is scheduled to be at White Bay 4 on the 5th and at the White Bay Cruise Terminal on the 6th.  White Bay 4 is merely a dock with no facilities.  Last year on the WC, Silversea provided a water taxi that left from the dock and dropped you off very near the OPT.   In prior years, SS ran a shuttle to the Aquarium at Darling Harbour.

You will also have  Pacific Explorer sharing White Bay with you on the 5th and Oceania Regatta on the 6th.

When I spoke with SS they said yes to a shuttle on the 5th but most likely not on the 6th as there is a significant turnaround so not enough demand for a shuttle.   It was quite a while ago.  Maybe that has changed?  If so, I hope they will let us use it to get to the ship to embark!

it would be lovely if they ran a shuttle to WB on embarkation, debark days... White Bay is a horror to get to, espcecillay when multiple ships are docked.

We did a Sydney-Auckland cruise last year on the Muse; we used the White's Bay terminal and had an overnight in Sydney.

1. You port location will not change; only large ships (and there are more and more of them) use the Circular Quay facilities.

2. SIlversea did run a shuttle service (not on the embarkation day but on the second day in port); however, the Shuttle ran to Darling Harbour and not to Circular Quay.  We did not use it.

3. Captain Cook Ferry's (the big ferry and tourist boat operator in Sydney) may run a shuttle from the White's Bay Terminal to Circular Quay; that there are other ships at the Terminal (as mentioned by someone above) is a plus....the ferry service does not operate when only a Silversea (or other smaller ship) is in port due to the small number of passengers.  Why not send an email to the Captain Cook office in Sydney to enquire?

4. We, too, were disappointed with the White's Bay location; its "so close, yet so far" from the highlights of Sydney....its really only a few miles but due to logistics and a lack of transportation you really feel stuck in the middle of nowhere.  We did not see many taxis at the Terminal, and there is nothing to do in and around the White's Bay Terminal area.

5.  OUR SOLUTION:  We had pre-booked a wonderful private tour with a local operator for our day at White's Bay: we were picked up in the morning, did a great day of touring, and retuned late in the afternoon just time for a snack, a rest and then the sail out.  We used Real Sydney Tours and did their Jewish Tour but there are many, many alternatives.  With this program, the White's Bay location was no issue at all for us. 

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise!  

Many thanks for your inputs. I would have thought that a luxury cruise line would make sure to dock downtown Sydney but I understand that the dock assignment is linked to the size of the ship. Pity anyway. SS should convince the Sydney port authority to dock at Circular Quay even if they have to pay more for that. 

Lots of ships can't fit under the bridge hence smaller ones being relegated to White Bay.  Even if they would pay more it can't be swapped.

The issue really is the secondary terminal was supposed to be near Botanic Gardens but it got dumped for a number of reasons.  White Bay is not popular with anyone

Edited by MrsWaldo

It seems highly likely that the site eventually chosen for a new cruise terminal will be on Botany Bay not far from the airport.  That is at least several years away. Even this location is causing local interests to object before a final decision is made.  Most people do not seem to want 6000+ berth ships in their backyard, so to speak, despite the economic advantages.   At least it will have the advantage of a better transport infrastructure than White Bay. Taking the main cruise terminal in Australia out of Sydney Harbour will be a big disappointment.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, MrsWaldo said:

OMG  You did Sydney Jewish Museum?  Hidden gem

I wish Sydney would pick up its act

Not a SS issue

The Sydney Jewish Museum was a great surprise - the Jewish Tour was a surprisingly interesting day.  I highly recommend it.

And, as far as the port location, I agree, not a Silversea issue - the cruise line gets what it is assigned by the Port Authority.

19 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

Many thanks for your inputs. I would have thought that a luxury cruise line would make sure to dock downtown Sydney but I understand that the dock assignment is linked to the size of the ship. Pity anyway. SS should convince the Sydney port authority to dock at Circular Quay even if they have to pay more for that. 

Silversea cannot "Buy its way" into Circular Quay, nor can any other line; it really does not work like that.  Cruise terminal assignments in Sydney are all about the ability of a ship to sail under the Harbour Bridge; not whether the ship is a luxury vessel or not.  This is not a case of "privilege".  Ruby Princess is in Sydney on the same day as Silver Muse: Ruby Princess cannot get under the Harbour Bridge and it carries 5 to 6 times the passengers that Silver Muse can accommodate....thus, Ruby Princess gets the berth at Circular Quay, so simple is it.

White's Bay is not ideal but their are easy solutions: simply arrange a private tour or a car service to take care of transportation needs while at White's Bay.

14 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

It seems highly likely that the site eventually chosen for a new cruise terminal will be on Botany Bay not far from the airport.  At least it will have the advantage of a better transport infrastructure than White Bay. 

There is zero public transport to Yarra Bay.   The bus to La Perouse from the city takes 50 minutes..... and then you need to walk down. 

Time to the airport by car is line ball.   

It won’t replace white bay. It’s to add a 3rd docking slot and for use by the big ships so SS would still go to white Bay 

Edited by MrsWaldo

First SS cruise onboard The Muse....We embark on Dec 6 In Sydney.  We are not familiar with any of the terminals, but we will have spent 4 days in Sydney, so no issue just taking a car service from hotel to White Bay in the afternoon. I would imagine sailing under the bridge might be very cool....those in the know, feel free to chime in.  I also imagine a downtown berth would be lovely.... so understand the disappointment.