Kids first Cruise! Help/Ideas

Hi everyone, I am a taking myself and my 17 & 19 year old boys on their first cruise, the week before X-MAS on Navigator of the Seas. I am soo excited!!  I have cruised before, but really want them to experience the fun as well!  My questions, Is purchasing "The Key" worth it for just a 4 night cruise? Voom package, my kids aren't much on calling friends or texting...they are huge SNAPCHAT boys. Is that something in just the standard package or do you need the streaming with it? One has iPhone and other Android.  Trying to give them a great experience , but not trying to spend more money on packages vs excursions.  Last thing... Nassau excursion ideas other than Atlantis?  

1 minute ago, Daisymae14 said:

Hi everyone, I am a taking myself and my 17 & 19 year old boys on their first cruise, the week before X-MAS on Navigator of the Seas. I am soo excited!!  I have cruised before, but really want them to experience the fun as well!  My questions, Is purchasing "The Key" worth it for just a 4 night cruise? Voom package, my kids aren't much on calling friends or texting...they are huge SNAPCHAT boys. Is that something in just the standard package or do you need the streaming with it? One has iPhone and other Android.  Trying to give them a great experience , but not trying to spend more money on packages vs excursions.  Last thing... Nassau excursion ideas other than Atlantis?  

Yes, I would recommend purchasing the key. Snapchat, being a social media platform, will operate solely on the VOOM package, so I am 99.9% sure you do not need the Surf and Stream package. Will you purchase them CoCoCay Thrill Waterpark passes?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daisymae14 said:

My questions, Is purchasing "The Key" worth it for just a 4 night cruise? Voom package, my kids aren't much on calling friends or texting...they are huge SNAPCHAT boys.

No. Get a one device Surf package and let them share it.

BTW, welcome to CC.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

@jbethel11Yes! I am definately doing the water park passes! Extras there too, they may want to do Jet Skis for an hour. So,  it's "cheaper" to do The Key Program, than just do standard Voom ? I have read perks on The Key, just wondering if its worth it? I haven't sailed yet using The Key Program myself. It will be new to me as well. 

Edited by Daisymae14

Whether or not the key is worth it is subjective. It is not personally worth it to me. Splitting the one device package is fine if it works for you. Otherwise, even  2 device package, which they can share would be cheaper than purchasing the key for everyone if you don't find the other benefits to be worth it for your family. 

@3monkeys4me, I know my boys would rather have buffet style food vs the Chops complimentary lunch and to wait to get off ship for shore excursions and coco cay I don't think is a big deal. Unless the process boarding and departing in Miami is a disaster and I need priority boarding,  I think they can be patient with everyone else. I will have to think about this.  Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Daisymae14 said:

@TheChefslc, I am debating that too.. not sure about that. Do they have to carry that cup around in order to get the refills? They wont want to do that.  I have never done that package, I just drink lemonade and water. How does that work?

from my prior cruise, you just show your card and get a drink from pretty much anywhere. There was no need to use the "souvenir" cup. However, I do believe they are required for the freestyle machines if your ship has them. 

Just FYI, if your 17-year-old is planning to use the teen club on board his brother cannot go with him. Teen club is 17 and under.  Your 19-year-old is considered an adult as far as the ship is concerned. Young adults can do anything on board that those over 21 do, except drink alcohol.  May find some events/clubs may have an age limit after a certain hour.  Technically they are not “boys” especially the 19-year-old.   Watch the shore excursions as far as drinking alcohol - they will be allowed - just a heads up! 

1 hour ago, Daisymae14 said:

Any Nassau excursion ideas? I saw Coco Cay has ones to swim with pigs and stingrays.  Worth it? Or Oasis Ocean 7 charters has 4hr excursion with pigs and turtles . Anyone done these? Or recommend for teenage boys? 

Lots of info here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/35-bahamas/

7 minutes ago, Daisymae14 said:

@Grandma Dazzles, They both can get served off ship? They don't check ID?  We plan on doing alot together on the ship,  want them to get as much of the "cruise" experience as possible. But thank you for heads up!! 

No - Caribbean is pretty loose.  I am not referring to RC private island where they can’t be served (Seapass Card) but other ports of call. 

17 hours ago, Daisymae14 said:

Yea, I guess I can do that!  I just want them to have a great time and not be on their phones, but they love to share where we go and what we do!  

When my boys were teens, I did not buy the internet package and they could only use their phones in a couple of ports.  They did amazingly well and no one complained even ONCE!!  I was actually very surprised.....without the internet, you can still take pictures so they can capture the experience all they want to! 

13 hours ago, Daisymae14 said:

@Grandma Dazzles, They both can get served off ship? They don't check ID?  We plan on doing alot together on the ship,  want them to get as much of the "cruise" experience as possible. But thank you for heads up!! 

yes.....and no they don't check!  They had boys, around 10 years old, selling beer out of coolers on one of the islands we visited- not sure which one??  My 17 year old was asked numerous times what he wanted to drink, while off the ship!  I don't believe I have ever seen anyone request ID before serving them, on any of the islands I have been on....just sayin'

@SuiteLady, I think I have decided not to do the Internet package for them. I think we will be occupied enough, by the time we get back to the room at night, hopefully they will just sleep. My 19 yr old pays his own phone bill, so I know if I don't get the package, unless he buys it..he wont use his phone, he wont want that bill later on!  I guess I am not shocked about the age of drinking off the boat, but wow. O.k.  I guess I will be watching out for this as well.  Thank you!

@Host Clarea, Thank you for the link! I have been reviewing so many excursion pages and prices , I just want to throw them all in a hat and say pick one and be done! Its a shame they have to be 21 to drive an ATV. My boys have been riding them since they were 4! They can get alcohol on an Island at their age but cant do an ATV tour and drive your own unless you are 21.  Crazy!

5 minutes ago, Daisymae14 said:

@SuiteLady, I think I have decided not to do the Internet package for them. I think we will be occupied enough, by the time we get back to the room at night, hopefully they will just sleep. My 19 yr old pays his own phone bill, so I know if I don't get the package, unless he buys it..he wont use his phone, he wont want that bill later on!  I guess I am not shocked about the age of drinking off the boat, but wow. O.k.  I guess I will be watching out for this as well.  Thank you!

make sure your phones are set on “airplane mode”.....otherwise you could rack up some big bills...even if you are not using the phone!!!

If they enjoy animals iyoumight do the pigs. I want to do that one myself but my bf doesnt want to lol

Theres also dolphin encounters or swim with them as excursions. 

Ive done a stingray type excursion before and it was really cool.

You can youtube some of the excursions and see what they are like. We youtubed our upcoming ports and figured out plans based on stuff we saw. 

Edited by Gelynia80
Spelling