Epic Barcelona embarkation and disembarkation

eileeshb

I’ve a cruise booked on Epic out of Barcelona in May next year. I’ve a couple of friends who will be disembarking the day I will embark. We’re intending to meetup for a while before I get onto the ship.

however, I would like to know how early I can drop off baggage safely, or should I leave it stored at my hotel until I’m ready to actually check-in at the port. 

I’m assuming the setup at Barcelona port will be similar to Miami, where bags are dropped kerbside and you don’t bring them into the pier terminal with you for checkin. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I’ve a cruise booked on Epic out of Barcelona in May next year. I’ve a couple of friends who will be disembarking the day I will embark. We’re intending to meetup for a while before I get onto the ship.

however, I would like to know how early I can drop off baggage safely, or should I leave it stored at my hotel until I’m ready to actually check-in at the port. 

I’m assuming the setup at Barcelona port will be similar to Miami, where bags are dropped kerbside and you don’t bring them into the pier terminal with you for checkin. 

19 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Leave it at your hotel if it's hopefully in walking distance to the terminal. The Barcelona terminal, really just a dock, is kind of a mess.

You can't walk to the terminal. You can catch a bus into the terminal. 

Barcelona is like any other cruise ship terminal. We normally show up around 10:00 and the porters are collecting baggage. 

I think it depends on your 'meeting' plans. 

Are you just going to meet for a 10 minute chat  before they head to the airport?  or are you going to meet up then go someplace for a few hrs? 

We were among the last stragglers to disembark, 9am.  If you can't drop your bags until 10am, it will be rather uncomfortable for all of you to be standing around with all your luggage.

On one of my Barcelona cruises, we arrived around 9:30 directly from the airport.  They weren't prepared to take our bags yet at the drop-off location.  They told us to come back at 10:00 and they were taking them at that time. We just sat off to the side for that 30 minutes.  There was a LOT of action going on at that time as previous passengers were finding their transportation and new passengers were arriving to hopefully start their cruise.  It was a bit chaotic.  I suspect the exact time they will take your bags depends on the status of that particular day's chaos.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

wrong

You'd have to cross a long bridge though, with limited space for pedestrians (actually, I don't even recall a pavement). Car is definitely the easier way to do it. 

eileeshb - It might be better to all meet at the foot of las ramblas, near where the cruise bus picks up and drops off. Your friends could use the luggage delivery service to have theirs taken to the station, and you can leave yours at the hotel. That way you'd be unencumbered, and could enjoy a comfy cafe. There's not much comfort at the terminal. 

Luggage service - https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/luggage-storage-and-transfer-service.html 

Edited by Huntingdon1701

My friends haven’t finalized their travel plans as yet, I was looking for the info to help inform that planning. They’re traveling to/from the states whereas I’m coming from Ireland. I couldn’t book the same week as them due to work so the day they finish is our overlap. Given how early the ship docks we should be able to catch up for a half day. 

6 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

My friends haven’t finalized their travel plans as yet, I was looking for the info to help inform that planning. They’re traveling to/from the states whereas I’m coming from Ireland. I couldn’t book the same week as them due to work so the day they finish is our overlap. Given how early the ship docks we should be able to catch up for a half day. 

luggage storage is main issue but meeting up las Ramblas or Pl Catalunya area for catch up sounds like a plan if you don't want to organise a sightseeing tour

if its a catch up that wont be needed as you will be too busy talking if anything like our meet ups with USA friends

I'd look into hotels near above mentioned areas where you could do the equivalent of high tea whilst surrounded by your luggage before you get a taxi to port and check in for your cruise

Walking the bridge to the dock is possible but it's an extensive and usually hot walk. The blue T3 Port bus (3 Euro one way) is the way to go when you need transport from La Rambla to the port.

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/cruise-ship-terminals/shuttle-bus-barcelona-cruise-terminal.html

Screenshot (5).png

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 5:53 PM, onetimearoundtheworld said:

wrong

As others have said, you can walk - but it is not a very nice way to start a cruise.  

I have sat on my balcony numerous times in Barcelona and watched people walking with their luggage.  Looking at their body language I have only felt pity.  

I assume that you crossover day is Sunday.  My advice to meet up is to leave your bags in your hotel and plan to meet up with your friends somewhere (perhaps at their hotel so they can leave their suitcases).   They can self-disembark really early and get a taxi into town and you can eat breakfast together Somewhere nearby.  In normal circumstances you could be meeting up by 8 am.  

We usually leave our hotel at noon - and that is plenty of time to board.  As long as you have checked out, you have longer and could easily be Saying goodbye to your friends and getting into a taxi to take you to your hotel and pick up your bags at 1 pm. There is time to do a tour of Sagrada Familia together (buy your tickets ahead of time), there would be time to walk around the Gothic District or perhaps one of the Gaudi houses - or take a stroll up Montjuic.  Depends on where your hotel is.  

• Like 2