Mystical Chaaktun Cenote and Maya Spiritual Cleanse

paradise4me

Having done cenote tours, always had a wetsuit on. Water is cold. 

Little light, rocky pathways,  could have steep stairs or ladders to climb.

No clue on the mystical cleanse portion.  Probably a steam room with herbs or fragrances. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just did this tour through Royal last week. It was not strenuous for me but I am in my mid 30s. I would say it was more relaxing for a snorkel excursion. The water is cooler, 72 degrees, but being from Cleveland the water temperature is similar to the lakes around here. They offered wetsuits but no one in our group used one.

The stairs are not too steep. I will note  the last step to get into the water of the cenote was a little tricky as the rock you step on is slippery and you are required to go right into the waist to chest deep water right away. This actually helps force you to enjoy the "refreshing" water.

The temazcal was a really neat experience. Think of it as a sauna where they use a tea water to steam the hot rocks while inside. They play a drum and shaker ritual that has everyone involved with the chants. It lasts about 20 minutes and it does get pretty warm in there to get a sweat going. After we got all warm they then pour water over your head to cool you back down. This is part of the cleansing ceremony.

Juice and fruit is served as a snack, then a quick bathroom stop. Note: this bathroom stop is at a dry outhouse type of facility. The bathroom at the entrance you first change at is much nicer and what you would be more accustomed to. 

Next you go into another part of the cenote for another quick "refreshing" swim around. These stairs led you right into the water. Not steep at all.

That completes the main tour. You change at the 'nice' bathroom and get lunch. I recommend bringing a bag to put wet swim suits in to change out of. They had salad, fruit, tacos; chicken, pork, rice and beans, a local topping for the tacos (I cant remember all was in it but was good), an excellent chicken soup with a little spice to it. Bottled water and local sodas. I thought the food was pretty tasty, but after swimming and sweating and swimming, any food at this point would be good.

Last part is tequila tasting. This is the bonus. 

They take photos with your group in the beginning of the tour and you can purchase these. The tequila tasting is also a sales pitch to purchase their local tequila. 

There is time for shopping by the ferry before going back to the ship. Vendors are persistent, I will leave it at that. 

Final thoughts

I enjoyed it. It was a unique experience with both the cenote swim and temazcal. I really didn't use the snorkel mask all too much. Most of the scenery is above the water while you're swimming. The mask is good to use to look at the formation under the water but the formations above were more spectacular. They also had ropes in the water to help you in and out of the tighter spaces. A couple of places to watch your head swimming and walking (I'm 6 foot). I never hit my head but did have to crouch down and duck at times. The cenotes had areas to stand up in so you are not wading in water the entire time. Ferry picks you up next to the ship but drops you off by the shops near your ship for additional shopping opportunity. The ferry ride is about 30 minutes each way. The van ride is 20 minutes each way to Chaak Tun and is on a paved street the entire time. 

I hope this review helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...