Comprehensive Reviews Please

Floridastorm

1 hour ago, AviationInScale said:

YC has no Ocean View cabins... only Balcony or Interior cabins. 🙂

If you read my entire sentence, you'll see I said "Ocean view cabins in the Yacht Club start with a Deluxe Suite and up."  That indicates that the lowest cabin with an ocean view is a Deluxe Suite.  Sorry you misunderstood what I wrote.

You know, there are so many really bad reviews about MSC no matter what ship it is in their fleet. Dozens and dozens of MSC cruisers who have posted these reviews on numerous different forums including Cruise Critic. It's really difficult to discount these reviews. I have no idea how MSC got so many of these terrible reviews. And it's not just one or two things. It's a full compliment of things that are disliked. Mainly the reviews state that their ships are horribly disorganized and that the line doesn't address problems. People are rude and many just don't care. Among a host of other complaints it seems that this cruise line is not run very well. Yes, there are a few good reports among the numerous very bad reports. Most people say that the ships are beautiful and are works of art. And that the ports of call are unique and more worthwhile than what most itineraries offer. But, that is were the compliments seem to end. I really wish that I could capture some of these reviews and attach them here. But, there are just too many. I just don't see how some people seem to be satisfied with MSC while so many others vow they will never travel on MSC ever again.  I'm afraid that we just can't chance cruising with MSC given all of the negativity and especially on a transatlantic with 21 days on the ship.

Edited by Floridastorm

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

You know, there are so many really bad reviews about MSC no matter what ship it is in their fleet. Dozens and dozens of MSC cruisers who have posted these reviews on numerous different forums including Cruise Critic. It's really difficult to discount these reviews. I have no idea how MSC got so many of these terrible reviews. And it's not just one or two things. It's a full compliment of things that are disliked. Mainly the reviews state that their ships are horribly disorganized and that the line doesn't address problems. People are rude and many just don't care. Among a host of other complaints it seems that this cruise line is not run very well. Yes, there are a few good reports among the numerous very bad reports. Most people say that the ships are beautiful and are works of art. And that the ports of call are unique and more worthwhile than what most itineraries offer. But, that is were the compliments seem to end. I really wish that I could capture some of these reviews and attach them here. But, there are just too many. I just don't see how some people seem to be satisfied with MSC while so many others vow they will never travel on MSC ever again.  I'm afraid that we just can't chance cruising with MSC given all of the negativity and especially on a transatlantic with 21 days on the ship.

Our interest in MSC was peaked when fellow passengers in a suite on our January HAL sailing recommended that we try the line in YC.  They had been on the Divina in YC, six months prior to the HAL cruise, and raved about the private pool, dining, lounge and their butler.  Many passengers on our HAL sailing complained about the crowded conditions in the dining room, the pool area and the lack of seating in the entertainment venues.  We decided to take the leap over to MSC on an 11-night cruise in YC.  We do not expect to receive the same level of service that we have received on Regent as they provided us with our best overall cruise experiences.  We were excited to try Seabourn two years ago on a 14-day Caribbean sailing.  We  were underwhelmed at the quality of the food as well as the service.  Our MSC sailing will be our 53th cruise.  We always enjoy our cruise experiences and try not to be overly critical during the sailing.  I'll be sure to post a report of our MSC adventure when we return in early February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Our interest in MSC was peaked when fellow passengers in a suite on our January HAL sailing recommended that we try the line in YC.  They had been on the Divina in YC, six months prior to the HAL cruise, and raved about the private pool, dining, lounge and their butler.  Many passengers on our HAL sailing complained about the crowded conditions in the dining room, the pool area and the lack of seating in the entertainment venues.  We decided to take the leap over to MSC on an 11-night cruise in YC.  We do not expect to receive the same level of service that we have received on Regent as they provided us with our best overall cruise experiences.  We were excited to try Seabourn two years ago on a 14-day Caribbean sailing.  We  were underwhelmed at the quality of the food as well as the service.  Our MSC sailing will be our 53th cruise.  We always enjoy our cruise experiences and try not to be overly critical during the sailing.  I'll be sure to post a report of our MSC adventure when we return in early February.

I do wish that I could cruise in the YC status. However, being retired and not wealthy I have to watch my budget. Not saying that I could not afford a YC cabin. Just saying that that the YC experience is not something that I am ready to break the budget for. In some of the reviews that I've read a YC cabin is the only way to go on MSC ships. Most of these people would never travel on MSC any other way as they have tried the other way and it did not meet with their approval in any way.

34 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Floridastorm,

"How to read cruise reviews" - this problem deserves a serious article that is based on a good research. I wish I had time for that work.

Just a few random things that may help you in your search.

1. You are right, we cannot discount critical reviews (critical reviews are more helpful). However there are reviews and reviews. A first step to sort out the bulk of reviews is to skip those that do not mention ships names. Referring to a cruise line instead of a specific ship may be a sign of incompetence thus incomplete or misleading info.

2. A well equipped cruise reviews adventurer would realize how cruise ships are rated.

You are ready for your quest if the fact that a "mass market ship" may have a higher rating than a "luxury ship" does not surprise you.

3. A cruise on a 3* ship may be very enjoyable. Remember that Cruise = Ship + Itinerary + Price. At list two items out of three must be good.

4. MSC product spans from 3*- to about 3*+ (between 3* and 3.5*). 

5. Every major cruise ship deserves its own article on how to cruise on XXX ship. That's why I recommended you to try MSC Seaside, not anything else.

6. Then we need to realize that cruise ships design may or may not fit certain itineraries. A longer itinerary would require a better ship. You want a great 21 days cruise on MSC ships? They are not intended for long cruises. IMO only one MSC ship is suitable for longer cruises - the Magnifica. The long cruises are relaxing by nature. MSC product is not for relaxation.

MSC Seaside is a good option for a budget cruise keeping in mind great 7 day itineraries for 2020. So is the Seaview in the Mediterranean (6 ports in a 7 day cruise).

7. I can have a great cruise on almost any ship. Knowing "how to cruise on..." I will enjoy most of the ships except a few that I wouldn't touch.

8. Unless it's a 5* ship (none of the "luxury" ships are close to 5* except Viking and the new Saga 🙂 ) and a great itinerary, I wouldn't stay on the same ship for 21 days.

9. There are better cruise ships for the TA. OK, if you want 21 days on MSC Divina, go for it. Cruising is a pleasure anyways.

BUT you'll need to know what you will be doing on the cruise before you book it.

Just to add:

10. The first thing to skip are the YC reviews that have nothing to do with the real MSC (unless you want to try MSC YC 🙂)

An example of a "comprehensive" cruise ship review.

Happy cruising!

Thank you for the comprehensive overview. Most of the things you mention I am already aware of and have considered. Almost all of the reviews mentioned the exact ship and what they liked and did not like about a particular ship or ships. They all seem to be just regular travelers from all over the planet. Many were dumbfounded by some of the things that transpired on MSC ships. Some of them lost money due to incompetence and just lack of caring on the part of the staff. There are just too many negative reviews to dismiss them as people with a grudge or just chronic complainers.  I may still try one of the MSC ships. Have to think about it and read some more.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:04 AM, cruisingnewtoit said:

Why Feb & April for 12 days or longer cruises? Lol I'm nervous because I'm booked on my 1st MSC cruise on the Merg in Feb leaving out of Miami.

Because school holidays are one week.  If you book 10 or more days you're less likely to get the Spring Break holiday crowd and lower amount of kids overall.  

• Thanks 1

I have only been on 2 cruises, HAL & X. I loved my HAL cruise. X was good but I wasn't blown away. 

My DH and I are booked again on X next month and again next June. I want to get back on HAL for their newest ship. Hesitant because some co-workers said the entertainment has declined.

My DH picked MSC, he wanted a big ship. I am worried about the service. I don't tolerate rudeness & disrespect well. I don't give it & don't accept it. 

We decided to stay in the YC to help with the crowds (for me DH loves them).

I am looking forward to the entertainment on MSC. We like Opera so we were sad that MSC nixed it from their line up. 

Content Creators  on some of the YT channels I follow, liked their MSC cruises. They weren't sponsored.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:44 PM, Floridastorm said:

I did a mock transatlantic booking for an Ocean View Cabin for the Divina. I notice if you pick "Bella" then MSC chooses the cabin. If you pick "Fantastica" then you can choose the cabin at a higher price. Is this pretty standard with the line? Other cruise lines ask you if you want them to choose or do you want to choose yourself. There is no specific category either way.

We had a Bella "guarantee" cabin on the Seaview last month. Our cabin was not assigned until a week before departure. However we were assigned an Aurea level cabin a=with an extended balcony. We were delighted!

• 5 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, Floridastorm said:

Most people tend to complain then to commend, so I would take the bad reviews with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, the only waty to judge is to try it out for yourself.

YC is not bad for a family of 4 as they "were" not charging for 3rd and 4th passengers -- so for us, the small upgrade cost from NCL or RCCL, was worth it.  Now they are charging for the 3rd and 4th, so I have to budget better for my cruises in the YC. Side note, if you don't mind an inside cabin, and can do last minute cruises, sometimes you can find a good deal for YC there.

We did the Seaside twice in the YC, the 1st time was okay, 2nd was better. I have the Divina booked in August 2021in YC as it was cheaper than NCL and RCCL regular cabins no perks.

Try it -- what do you have to lose?