Anyone been on the 9 day Baltic cruise from Copenhagen...

Rob32

which goes to Berlin, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki?

Anyone done this trip at the start of June?

just wondering how hot these places are at this time of year and whether it would be hot enough to spend some of the days by the pool on the ship?  We’ll have 2 kids with us who would want to be in the pool a lot!

Any other info about this cruise would be great! 

Thanks. 

13 minutes ago, Rob32 said:

just wondering how hot these places are at this time of year and whether it would be hot enough to spend some of the days by the pool on the ship?  We’ll have 2 kids with us who would want to be in the pool a lot!

Thanks. 

I did it in 2017 at the end of May, beginning of June.  Other than Warnemunde and Tallinn, the days were no where near warm enough for the pools. SPB and Helsinki were cold and rainy, Gothenburg was sunny but cold.  This is such a port intensive cruise that even if the weather was nice, everyone was off the ship on tours, especially in SPB.  We were so tired from seeing all the great cities on this itinerary that if we were lucky, we would have dinner, possibly watch a show and head to bed.  

The weather could vary from year to year so others may have had a different experience.  And depending on what temps you consider sufficient to use a pool, your situation could be different.  But it was a fabulous cruise from start to finish and it is one I would not hesitate to do again.

It’s an incredible trip for kids.  Please go to my review to see some of the options for children (we brought our 3.5 year old).   

If you can afford it, please hire a private guide for at Petersburg for just your family.  Because we were able to stop whenever my son got tired and feed him and give him a break, we saw all the major attractions in the 2 days we were in St. Petersburg.  

Also consider starting a private tour later on day on day one and earlier on day 2 to avoid massive lines at Russian immigration (the ship tours get priority disembarkation in St. Petersburg).  

In the hermitage, plan ahead what you want to see.  It’s too large to try to cover everything, especially with little ones in tow. 

An an amazing air/sea hands on museum in Tallinn you can visit after the beautiful old town.  

Make Ke note of whether you are docking in Stockholm directly - nynashamn is not close, and you miss the beautiful archipelago.  If possible, it’s best to sail on a ship that docks directly in Stockholm.  

Things i I didn’t know about ahead of time and aren’t in my review - best guides has a highly regarded children’s tour, there is a huge model train museum in St. Petersburg and you might be able to paint nesting dolls there as an excursion.  

The thing about Scandinavian summer weather (and that goes for most of northern Europe) is that you can never be sure about how warm it will be. Summer of 2018 was incredibly hot and most days from May-August would have been fine for the pool, while summer 2019 was pretty much the opposite. Temperatures can vary between I'd say 17 degrees C - 27 degrees C throughout summer, there is just no way to be sure. 

We did a baltic cruise in 2019 and it was pretty cold and rainy most days. But when the sun did come out it was fine to be in the pool, so our 3 kids had lots of fun in the splash park and water slides. They had a fantastic 9 days and I don't ever think we felt bored or disappointed by the weather. On the other hand we live in Scandinavia, so our other option had been to stay at home in the same weather...

• Like 1

We cruised on the Getaway departed on the 12th June 2017 and most days it wasn’t warm enough  for the pools although our tour in Stockholm was blessed with a warm sunshine. As others of said it will vary but in general June isn't pool weather in Northern Europe.

My husband and I did that cruise this past summer.  Here is the link to the review: 

The weather really varied from port to port.  It was chilly and overcast in Germany and Russia (it poured in Russia both days we were there) but hot and sunny in Helsinki and Sweden.  We went used the main pool a few times, on embarkation day to try and stay awake and later in the week when it was warmer, and spent a decent amount of time in Spice H20 relaxing on the loungers.  

Edited by Redsky5292

19 hours ago, Rob32 said:

Thanks. 

I think you need to be heading south.  Eastern Med perhaps.  I don’t think the Western Med gives you guaranteed pool weather at the start of June - but then I like my water warm.  

My parents and I did this cruise mid to late May 2018.  It was unseasonably warm everywhere we went, but I still didn't see many adults in the pools as there was still a chill in the air.  Some kids were though.   This is a wonderful cruise, and I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!

Edited by notes21