HOTELS IN LONDON

It appears that you are sailing on the 23rd from Southampton.  If that is the case are you truly looking for a hotel in London or are you actually looking for something in Southampton.  No hotels in either place would offer shuttle services from Heathrow. Unless you are arriving very early on the 22nd and have your heart set on seeing London, even for a single day, you would be much better off traveling from Heathrow to Southampton and overnighting there.

If you book a Princess hotel - they will shuttle you to their hotel and then also shuttle you to the ship. It is not cheap but considering shuttles are included.......

If you have time, I would suggest booking a few days in London - great city! Great museums.

The distance into London and then to Southampton are sort of far away.

Edited by Coral

We also are sailing out of Southampton on the 23rd on the Island Princess. We are taking the National Express bus from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. Have used them previously. Suggest you try Trivago.com and pick a hotel near Victoria Station. 

To get from Heathrow to Victoria Station is easy.  Take the Picadilly Line underground, change at Hammersmith (no need for stairs as you merely cross the platform.) to the Piccadilly Line.

If staying in Southampton suggest Premier Inn West Quay which is walkable from the bus station in Southampton.

Hi Azgrandmax3 - I'm actually in the same boat! (Well. The same situation. Different cruises.)

We've never seen London before, so we're flying in 4 or 5 days ahead of time and we're staying at one of the Point A Hotels (https://www.pointahotels.com/). They seemed reasonable. Also, in case you didn't know, Princess offers a shuttle from London to Southampton the day of the cruise. It's something like $70 though.

Just now, love to cruz said:

We also are sailing out of Southampton on the 23rd on the Island Princess. We are taking the National Express bus from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. Have used them previously. Suggest you try Trivago.com and pick a hotel near Victoria Station. 

To get from Heathrow to Victoria Station is easy.  Take the Picadilly Line underground, change at Hammersmith (no need for stairs as you merely cross the platform.) to the Piccadilly Line.

If staying in Southampton suggest Premier Inn West Quay which is walkable from the bus station in Southampton.

Princess also has shuttles from Victoria Station. It must be booked in advance.

You basically have 3 choices.  Stay near Heathrow airport, travel into central London for a single night, make the trip down to Southampton upon arrival and stay there the night before your cruise.  I've done 1 & 3, here are my thoughts & suggestions.

Staying near Heathrow airport.  There is a multitude of standard hotels near Heathrow, most of which are accessed using a bus service called Hotel Hoppa.  Busses run a few times each hour, each bus serves 3 or 4 hotels.  Cost is a few GBP per person one way which can be paid to the diver in cash or tickets purchased at the airport using a credit card.  There are hotels in every price range.  A good value is the Doubletree Heathrow which frequently has rooms in the range of GBP 100 - 125 (US$125 - 150).  It's a few miles from the airport but has a passable restaurant.  It's fairly no frills and rooms are small but it's nice enough for one night.  

There are a few hotels which can be accessed walking from the terminals, A Hilton at Terminal 4, a Sofitel at Terminal 5 - both of these are eye watering expensive most days - worth a look though.  A much better value is the newly built Premier Inn at Terminal 4, Premier Inn is a low frills chain in the UK which can vary widely by location, this property though is newly built and nice enough, rates typically run around GBP70 (US$90) if booked in advance, be aware that Premier Inns operate on an ala carte system everything is extra (wifi, breakfast, etc) it's wise to buy the extras you want at booking since they generally cost about x2 if booked on arrival.  You can move between terminals at Heathrow using a free train service with stations at T2/3, T4 & T5.  Trains between terminals are free, service is usually good though delays sometimes happen.

I highly recommend Smiths for Airports car service for getting from Heathrow or surrounding hotels to Southampton.  If you have 2 or more in your party a private car from Smiths will be cheaper than a Princess transfer.

If on a budget there is a very good bus service from Heathrow to Southampton bus station.  Busses are modern, timely and generally completely okay.  The bus makes only 1 or 2 stops en route to Southampton.  Last time I used it fares were in the GBP13 range per person.  

Hotels in Southampton.  There are a number of hotels, mostly older in Southampton, most are low frills.  We've stayed at the Novotel which is serviceable but forgettable.  The old part of Southampton is near the cruise docks and is a pleasant enough place to take a stroll the night before boarding.

Hope this helps a bit.  

If you do decide to stay in central London for the night, I would recommend the Mercure Bloomsbury, as a good solid 3 star choice. It's 15 min walk from Covent Garden, 5 mins walk from Holburn or Russell Square tube stations. Also walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Embankment, Regents Park. It's in a nice area, with cafes and shops around, if you want breakfast or snacks. I've stayed there twice recently. 
Quickest way into London would be the Heathrow Express train into Paddington, then the tube (or taxi from Paddington if you have a lot of baggage) 

There are many  options in London. Premier Inn has a hotel near Waterloo Stsuion and Westminster on the Southbank.  Please see the link below.  I would not stay near Heathrow but go into the city, even from one Night. Due to traffic restrictions around Heathrow many have said it is easier to go into London than an airport  hotel.  I  believe there is a central hotel pick up location you must first get to and wait for a hotel shuttle.  The shuttles are not allowed to circle the airport terminals. And the process can take a while. Not fun after an overnight flight. 

Heathrow  Express is a great option just about anytime due to traffic issues.  Tickets purchased  in advanced are much cheaper.  The Piccadilly  line also runs from Heathrow  but it will take much longer.  Just Airports or Smiths are great options for  a private Car Service.   We have used both.  It is great to have someone meet you  post customs and a long flight.  

There are many little local experts on the the British Isle Boards who offer excellent advice.  I would ask your questions there as well.  

Enjoy London, a great city.  

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-waterloo-westminster-bridge.html?cid=GLBC_LONWAT

If this is one-night, pre-cruise before leaving from Southampton, it's best to understand the geography.  Heathrow is west of London,  Southampton is Southwest of London.  If you head into London to stay the night, you're not only back-tracking, you're spending a lot of money on big-city hotels.

I'd probably head straight to Southampton, or pehaps stay in between in a nice small town like Winchester.