Cruise Control shuttle Port Canaveral to MCO - very early, what to do at MCO

cravingthis

We're booking a one way shuttle from Port Canaveral to MCO with Cruise Control, and the rate is very reasonable and budget-friendly.  $14/pp

They only have two pick up times:  8:15 am or 10:35 am.  Our proposed flight will leave MCO at 12:30 pm (haven't booked yet).  I believe check-in is two hours prior.

How difficult will it be to navigate 2 suitcases and 2 carryons while shopping around or grabbing a bite to eat?  I bought luggage straps, so hopefully that will help.

I assume you're looking at the 8:15 and not the 10:35  - the 10:35 would be too late, as the littlest hiccup either on the road or at the airport would make you miss your flight.  

Your 2 suitcases - are you carrying them on along with your 2 "carryons"?   You could always check them.  As I've only gone out of the terminal that houses Delta, I can't tell you much about food/shopping anywhere.  I always headed straight for the Delta Sky Club.  There was a Mouseland shop and a NASA shop - nothing else much caught my eye.  The restaurants I walked by were all very crowded so I'm not sure how well you'd be able to maneuver around with a bunch of bags, 

22 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I assume you're looking at the 8:15 and not the 10:35  - the 10:35 would be too late, as the littlest hiccup either on the road or at the airport would make you miss your flight.  

Your 2 suitcases - are you carrying them on along with your 2 "carryons"?   You could always check them.  As I've only gone out of the terminal that houses Delta, I can't tell you much about food/shopping anywhere.  I always headed straight for the Delta Sky Club.  There was a Mouseland shop and a NASA shop - nothing else much caught my eye.  The restaurants I walked by were all very crowded so I'm not sure how well you'd be able to maneuver around with a bunch of bags, 

Yes, the 8:15 am pick up, thanks for your concern!

We will check the 2 suitcases in, and have our 2 carry ons with us.  I don't think the airlines allow earlier check ins though?  I don't know which airline we'll be on .. .perhaps I can call a few to ask.  The last time I tried to call Air Canada, I was on hold forever.  I know we're supposed to check in 2 hours prior, but we'll be at MCO around 9 am (for a possible 12:30 pm flight).

Everyone will be lugging carry-on luggage. And getting through security will take you a good 30-45 minutes, so you don't have as long as you think.

You can shop, eat, read a book, use the free wifi, nap . . .

• Thanks 1

I think you have some of your times a bit off

MCO now recommends you arrive to the airport THREE hours before departure (was TWO previously)

in general you can check bags and check in for flight FOUR hours before departure

these times are usually LONGER for international flights . . . . the 2 hour you are thinking of may be a MINIMUM for international flight!!   That's been my experience the last few years ... TWO hours b4 for international flight.

AND if you don't have TSA PRE ..... you'd better pay attention to the wait times for security (there's an app that let's you see current wait estimates)

SO

8:15 pickup gets you to MCO at 9:15 (approx)

inside the 4 hour check in window for a 12:30 flight .. check your bags and now you are free to get a bite, visit the gift shops (each of the major parks of Orlando has a gift shop in the main airport lobby .... Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Kennedy Space Center)

if you still are worried of a place to hang ..... ask nice and I'll tell you of the secret lounge .... quiet, couches ...... 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the same boat as you, 12:30 flight and don't want to take the 8:15 shuttle with nothing to do for 3 hours.  So I decided to go with cortrans.  It's $20 instead of 14, but they have more departure times from the port.  That way I can sit down for a last breakfast in the buffet and take my time getting off the ship

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Everyone will be lugging carry-on luggage. And getting through security will take you a good 30-45 minutes, so you don't have as long as you think.

You can shop, eat, read a book, use the free wifi, nap . . .

Thanks, this is our first time flying in/out of Orlando airport.  Appreciate the reminder about the security time line!

3 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

I think you have some of your times a bit off

MCO now recommends you arrive to the airport THREE hours before departure (was TWO previously)

in general you can check bags and check in for flight FOUR hours before departure

these times are usually LONGER for international flights . . . . the 2 hour you are thinking of may be a MINIMUM for international flight!!   That's been my experience the last few years ... TWO hours b4 for international flight.

AND if you don't have TSA PRE ..... you'd better pay attention to the wait times for security (there's an app that let's you see current wait estimates)

SO

8:15 pickup gets you to MCO at 9:15 (approx)

inside the 4 hour check in window for a 12:30 flight .. check your bags and now you are free to get a bite, visit the gift shops (each of the major parks of Orlando has a gift shop in the main airport lobby .... Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Kennedy Space Center)

if you still are worried of a place to hang ..... ask nice and I'll tell you of the secret lounge .... quiet, couches ...... 

It's been a long time since we flew and things have certainly changed!  If we can check our bags in 4 hours prior then we'll be able to move around more freely!  Thanks for the additional info!  I read about the lounges at the airport, and noticed there are charges, unless we have one of those premium credit cards 😥

54 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I'm in the same boat as you, 12:30 flight and don't want to take the 8:15 shuttle with nothing to do for 3 hours.  So I decided to go with cortrans.  It's $20 instead of 14, but they have more departure times from the port.  That way I can sit down for a last breakfast in the buffet and take my time getting off the ship

Hi there!  I noticed that too!  I wish this shuttle company had more departure times too.  I hate to think how early we'll have to get up just to get off the ship in time for our 8:15 am pick up.  I may re-think this so we can have one last breakfast before post-cruise depression sets in.  Are you flying Air Canada by chance?  

11 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Thanks, this is our first time flying in/out of Orlando airport.  Appreciate the reminder about the security time line!

It's been a long time since we flew and things have certainly changed!  If we can check our bags in 4 hours prior then we'll be able to move around more freely!  Thanks for the additional info!  I read about the lounges at the airport, and noticed there are charges, unless we have one of those premium credit cards 😥

Hi there!  I noticed that too!  I wish this shuttle company had more departure times too.  I hate to think how early we'll have to get up just to get off the ship in time for our 8:15 am pick up.  I may re-think this so we can have one last breakfast before post-cruise depression sets in.  Are you flying Air Canada by chance?  

No, I'm flying Southwest, back to DC

21 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Oh I see!  Just a fluke with same flight time ...lol

My interest piqued also as we have a 12:30 flight to Los Angeles.  We opted for the 8:15 shuttle.  We haven’t cruised DCL before, but other cruise ships said we had to be out of our room by 8am anyway.  There are 7 of us, including small children.  It just seemed easier to get up and go.  I’ve heard customs doesn’t take long if you have a passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoBaycruiser said:

My interest piqued also as we have a 12:30 flight to Los Angeles.  We opted for the 8:15 shuttle.  We haven’t cruised DCL before, but other cruise ships said we had to be out of our room by 8am anyway.  There are 7 of us, including small children.  It just seemed easier to get up and go.  I’ve heard customs doesn’t take long if you have a passport.

Oh wow, I've never heard of that before. 

Edited by red-dragon

12 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Oh wow, I've never heard of that before. 

yeah, you have to be out of your room around that time, but not necessarily off the ship.  I just rather not feel rushed getting off the ship only to have to sit around and wait at the airport.  So, I can leave my room at 8, go get something to eat (while letting the first rush of folks get off the ship), then get off in time for the 9:45 cortrans shuttle, which should get me to the airport around 10:30 or so.  I find that the lines are craziest at first, mostly waiting in lines for them to actually start letting people get off.  Once the process starts, it goes fast enough.  It's the same thing I do when we arrive at ports (assuming I don't have an early starting shore excursion).  I rather wait for an hour and let the madness die down, then I'm able to pretty much walk right off the ship.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:30 PM, Capt_BJ said:

Do share this information Capt_BJ. We are hanging in Cocoa a couple days after getting off ship, but on return day we have to check out of condo at 10AM and our flight home isn't until 0930PM. In order to get affordable transportation from cocoa to MCO we will probably arrive at MCO around 4-5 so would be great to have a comfy quiet place to relax for a few before heading to our gate. Not paying day rates at Hyatt either to pass the time.