LGA in NYC

Jim B

Friend who has a relative working at LGA said starting November 1st there

will be big changes in the way you drop someone off and pick them up at the airport.

Has anyone else know about this or have more information?

Guess it is going to slow things down a bunch.

Well, you could always just go to the LaGuardia airport website, where they talk about how taxi services will utilize a remote location, and how ride-shares are in the garage and more.

I think that's called getting it from the horse's mouth??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Halfmoonfan said:

LGA is a total mess, try to use JFK or EWR if you can.  Check out the local news reports of people exiting their cabs to walk the last half mile, etc.

+ 1

With this reply I will be taking a slight detour from the topic because I will be commenting on the changes effecting LAX, (Las Angeles International Airport).  It is my understanding that similar changes are being made At LGA.  Here goes!  Starting Oct. 29, 2019, Anyone using Uber, Lyft or a taxi will have to board a shuttle bus to go to an off airport sight, east of Terminal One to use any of these transportation services.  It is my understanding that at this sight there will be 39 parking spaces for all Uber, Lyft and taxis.  Passengers getting off the shuttles will need to get in line and wait their turn.  Also, a second feature of this new genius plan to, supposedly, alleviate the traffic congestion, will make the lane closest to the right curb, a Bus lane only.  This essentially eliminates any chance of someone dropping you off or picking you up at the curb.  Not sure what the alternative for this situation is.  The only glimmer of hope for avoiding this shuttle bus/parking lot fiasco is the fact that private rides, such as limos, are excluded from the new rules. So. if you take a private car service you can avoid the new system. Still not sure how the private rides will deal with the bus only lane.  My husband and I always use a private car for drops at LAX, but usually take a cab home.  We will be using the service both ways from now on.  My husband took our usual service to LAX a few days ago and asked the driver what he knew about the soon to be implemented chaos about to be unleashed.  He did confirm that private car services did not need to use the new system.  I heard the details of this change on Talk Radio 790AM. The talk hosts were not at all supportive of this new system and seemed convinced that CHAOS will, in fact, ensue.  Seriously, can you picture hundreds of passengers landing at Lax to discover they will have to drag their baggage to a shuttle area, travel to a parking lot, and wait in line while a maximum of 39 cars funnel thru 39 spaces to pick up customers??  Hope LGA has abetter plan.  LAX fliers don't really have an alternative airport choice.

1 hour ago, BettyDol said:

LAX fliers don't really have an alternative airport choice.

Completely depends on your destination and airline.  I somehow seem to remember that in addition to LAX, there is also Long Beach, Orange County, Ontario and Burbank.  With plenty of flights to mainline hubs which will serve the world.

And if it's really that bad, lots of service from SAN.

In fact, both SNA and LGB are closer to you in Huntington Beach than the drive up to LAX.

Hmmm.....

Of course we could fly out of those airports if only there were good flights available.  The routes and destinations that we normally fly are available from LAX.  The thread was a question about transportation to and from the airport, not which airports are closest to Huntington Beach.  We are not particularly interested in connecting Hubs.

2 hours ago, ROLLTIDE2 said:

We disembarked Navigator Tuesday morning last week in NYC.  We took an Uber (real one, not one of the guys trying to talk you into their car) and easily made a 12:25 flight.  We may have been lucky, but we had no problem at all.

That is reassuring but I guess that was before the coming shuttle bus situation to remote car location.  Also, I’m wondering if it is raining if it will be hard to Uber or get a taxi.  We have been in nyc when raining and had difficult time getting a cab. 

rcandkc -- I believe, but may be wrong, that the new shuttle bus system is for getting an Uber from the airport, not being dropped off at the terminal by Uber.  Also, there is a covered taxi stand directly across the street from where you exit the cruise terminal.  That's where we were picked up by our Uber driver.  Except for all the people trying to talk us into getting into their car, which I found annoying, the process was simple and not at all unpleasant.  I tend to be a worrier, and wasted time worrying about making the 12:25 flight, but it was all fine.  Enjoy your cruise!

53 minutes ago, ROLLTIDE2 said:

Also, there is a covered taxi stand directly across the street from where you exit the cruise terminal.  That's where we were picked up by our Uber driver.

Anticipate that that "covered stand" will not be able to accommodate all the people AND their luggage that will be disembarking and wanting a ride.  Twas the case last time I arrived in NYC, and there were at least 30 people waiting there.