When do cruise docs arrive?

GeezerCouple

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

GeezerCouple - I have been using tags like this - they have a zip lock to keep out rain and are reusable:

Thanks.  These look interesting.

We've always had tags that were more substantial than paper, and even then we were always surprised that they did, indeed, show up still on our bags when they arrived outside our door.
But we always had more permanent tags also (plus ID inside), so worst case, it might have taken longer to get to us.

Given how luggage is handled, it's a real surprise that the paper ones survive.

We'll probably get something like what you linked to, so  thanks again, very much!

GC

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

We just print out the boarding pass, and I always print two copies.  One goes in the passport, and one in our general paperwork.  For luggage tags, we use plastic tag holders w/ ziploc to keep them safe and insert them w/ a long thin spatula.  That way, I'm not worried about getting them in the rain.

Enjoy your trip!

21 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

And we didn't know yet that we would not be receiving anything by snail mail.  (This is the first cruise line where this is the case.

Really, there are other cruise lines that actually still 'snail mail' cruise documents to customers these days?

I thought that practice pretty much disappeared years ago, and I did not realize that some were still doing it.

46 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Really, there are other cruise lines that actually still 'snail mail' cruise documents to customers these days?

I thought that practice pretty much disappeared years ago, and I did not realize that some were still doing it.

Yes there are.  And actually HAL does it if you book a Grand or World cruise, still.

the practice lives but not for most mass market lines and shorter cruises 😉 

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Hi KroozNut. Yes, Crystal still sends a very nice document folder with the boarding pass and fairly sturdy luggage tags.  People can opt out if they don't want the folder.  

But you don't actually need any of the cruise docs. I went to the trouble of printing them all out, and all I needed was my passport anyway! Next time, I'm going to make sure I can present them electronically on my phone if asked, but I'm not wasting the ink and paper to print them. I got a cabin upgrade at the last minute, and didn't even have the proper luggage tags. No problem, they just made me new ones at the pier. 

2 hours ago, lisakoivu said:

But you don't actually need any of the cruise docs. I went to the trouble of printing them all out, and all I needed was my passport anyway! Next time, I'm going to make sure I can present them electronically on my phone if asked, but I'm not wasting the ink and paper to print them. I got a cabin upgrade at the last minute, and didn't even have the proper luggage tags. No problem, they just made me new ones at the pier. 

I agree.  I can’t remember the last time I actually showed my printed docs.  I do print the first 2-3 pages just in case but it’s also in my phone if I need it.   We love the luggage tags we bought from the cruise critic store.  No need for tape anymore. 

4 hours ago, lisakoivu said:

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

I agree.  I can’t remember the last time I actually showed my printed docs.  I do print the first 2-3 pages just in case but it’s also in my phone if I need it.   We love the luggage tags we bought from the cruise critic store.  No need for tape anymore. 

You’re smart to have it on your phones.

I’ve had to show my boarding pass numerous times - even to enter the gate at one port.

I always take it and highly recommend that everyone either print it out or have it quickly available on your phone/iPad to show if asked for.   Security requirements are constantly changing (usually getting tighter) - It can get very awkward if it is needed an you don’t have it 😉 

• Like 2

We are always asked for our boarding passes to even get inside the terminals. We use strong clear tape for the luggage tags and works fine. I remember when we used to get our documents and luggage tags in a nice blue padded carrying case mailed from Holland America about 2 weeks before sailing. I still have a couple of those nice cases and use them to put boarding passes, passports, etc. in so everything is in one place and in my purse.

We have our boarding passes printed but are awaiting our GTY room assignment so we can print out the luggage tags.  I would like to leave knowing the cabin number and have tags that match accordingly.

I know it should work if we find out at the pier, but this just messes with the mojo of my planning.