Standing in line at Galveston embarkation

G-Heart

We are leaving in a couple of weeks on the Dream out of Galveston. We typically pay for FTTF, but this was a last minute cruise purchase, so we weren't able to get it this time around. We are traveling with 10 family members from age 18 months to 84 yrs old. I am wondering how long we might have to stand in line before getting to the seating area upstairs. Our arrival time is 11:30 to 12:00. We started getting FTTF because of the horrendously long lines to check in, but that was before they started staggered arrival. Surely it can't be as bad as it used to be -- at least that's what I keep telling the family! Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

Cruised from here on the Vista a few weeks ago, had the same boarding time. Got there about 20 minutes early and there was no line and the employees were telling and waving people to go in, dont stop, keeping moving. Took about 5 minutes to get to the seating area and only sat about 15 minutes before we were boarding. This was my third cruise out of Galveston in the last 2 years with similar results each time, no lines. 

It was great on Vista in February. I dropped my luggage off at 11:15 and was onboard at 11:35.

The long lines you’re talking about I experienced with Freedom in 2017. Breeze in 2018 was much better and now Vista this year even better.

The customs line after getting off the ship was a nightmare in 2017 and 2018 but there was no line this year.

Edited by Saint Greg

We were on Vista in June. Boarding time was 12:00. We got there at 12:05. Never stopped moving. The line for early/late was very long but we walked past all of that. We paused momentarily for passport check and to scan carry-ons. Other than that, we literally didn't stop until we were on board. 

11 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Cruised from here on the Vista a few weeks ago, had the same boarding time. Got there about 20 minutes early and there was no line and the employees were telling and waving people to go in, dont stop, keeping moving. Took about 5 minutes to get to the seating area and only sat about 15 minutes before we were boarding. This was my third cruise out of Galveston in the last 2 years with similar results each time, no lines. 

This is always our experience cruising out of Galveston!

2 hours ago, marci4tony said:

We are also fans of FTTF but we’re unable to get it for our Vista departure in 3 weeks. Our check in is 12:00 my MIL is 12:30 so we just won’t be in any hurry. We are on vacation anyways right?!

Just one word of warning- if you wait with your MIL to board at 12:30, they might make you go to the Early/Late Checkin line, since your time was noon... not guaranteed, but it could happen. We met a family onboard Vista our last cruise, and they all tried boarding together (3 different cabins), but were refused at noon, so they all went together at 12:30, only for those who had a noon boarding time to be shuffled to the Late Arrivals line! As it turns out, they were only a bit behind the rest of their group, but they weren't able to board together.

Another couple we were talking to had completely the opposite experience- their adult children had a later checkin time and they all waited together, and were all allowed to check in together, at the earlier time! So the lesson is, try it, see what happens, and just be prepared if it doesn't work in your favor!

• Like 1

It's true that if you are late for your appointment time they can send you to the early/late line.  That happened to me when I cruised out of Miami on the Vista.  By the time we dropped off our luggage, we were five minutes late for our appointment time.  We had to go to the early/late line.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, marci4tony said:

We are also fans of FTTF but we’re unable to get it for our Vista departure in 3 weeks. Our check in is 12:00 my MIL is 12:30 so we just won’t be in any hurry. We are on vacation anyways right?!

Timing is everything.  With your boarding time being 12:00-12:30, and MIL's is 12:30-1:00, you enter the "On Time" line at 12:29, then MIL enters the same line at 12:30.  That way, you'll both be fairly close to each other.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

Same for us in September. We never stopped moving once we got in line. From Uber to Red Frog Pub was about 25 minutes!

We just did a cruise on the Vista in Galveston. Usually get FTTF but wasn't able to snag this round. Honestly, it was probably not worth getting. Our check-in time was 12-1, but we got there at 11 (with my parents who are platinum) and we waited in almost no lines. WE got through the check-in/security at a bout 1120, and then went upstairs and waited for boarding which started around 1145? PLatinum and FTTF were on by 12, and we started boarding (Group A05) about 5-10 mins later. We were on-board, eating, by 1230. WE also had all our bags at our room when it was ready at 1:30. Easy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Is there a way to request the latest board time?  We wanted to spend us much time as possible exploring Galveston before getting on our cruise.

I appreciate your desire to explore Galveston before you board. Galveston was an extremely important seaport during the early days, from the late 1700's through WWII and beyond. There is so much history associated with Galveston, it would be a disservice to try to tour it in an hour. I mean you no insult, but Galveston is rich in early Texas history. I was born in Texas and have been to Galveston, many, many times, and I've yet to see all of the historic sites that she has to offer. It is a destination unto itself. If you want to discover Galveston, come down 2 or 3 days before sailing and get to know the island. You won't be disappointed.  

1 hour ago, bolt said:

Is there a way to request the latest board time?  We wanted to spend us much time as possible exploring Galveston before getting on our cruise.

When you do your online check-in, you have your choice of boarding time, if I'm not mistaken. We usually leave out of Los Angeles

Joe817 I hope to do that on another trip but non in the cards for this one. We will be flying in the night before and staying at Harbor House and on the return do not have to head back to airport until 3 so hoping to see little more of Galveston.

Wanna_cruise thanks for the info it has been a few years since I have cruised.

10 hours ago, bolt said:

Joe817 I hope to do that on another trip but non in the cards for this one. We will be flying in the night before and staying at Harbor House and on the return do not have to head back to airport until 3 so hoping to see little more of Galveston.

Wanna_cruise thanks for the info it has been a few years since I have cruised.

Harbor House. Good choice for wanting to spend a few hours sightseeing. You are right at the pier, within easy walking distance to the terminal, AND the historic Strand District. 

We are coming in a day early, staying a day extra.  Galveston is on our bucket list, and we are staying at Guidos.  I know hoping for a clear, non-foggy sunrise in November is pushing it, but what the heck right?  One can hope!  

See you soon, Galveston!

On 10/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, G-Heart said:

We are leaving in a couple of weeks on the Dream out of Galveston. We typically pay for FTTF, but this was a last minute cruise purchase, so we weren't able to get it this time around. We are traveling with 10 family members from age 18 months to 84 yrs old. I am wondering how long we might have to stand in line before getting to the seating area upstairs. Our arrival time is 11:30 to 12:00. We started getting FTTF because of the horrendously long lines to check in, but that was before they started staggered arrival. Surely it can't be as bad as it used to be -- at least that's what I keep telling the family! Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

I have found horrible waits with Royal Caribbean in Galveston, but not with Carnival. With the assigned time thing, we seem to breeze right through. However, as always, YMMV.

I'm also leaving out of Galveston in a little over 2 weeks or so and I've been wondering about the lines. Last time I was there it took us about an hour and a half to get through the line and onto the ship. I'm kind of excited to see how this staggered arrival changes things up. My SO and I have got a later time, which we hope will also mitigate the number of people trying to grab lunch so we can grab some quick food and then find our room.

28 minutes ago, Snicket said:

I'm also leaving out of Galveston in a little over 2 weeks or so and I've been wondering about the lines. Last time I was there it took us about an hour and a half to get through the line and onto the ship. I'm kind of excited to see how this staggered arrival changes things up. My SO and I have got a later time, which we hope will also mitigate the number of people trying to grab lunch so we can grab some quick food and then find our room.

We are on 11/16 too!  

Does anyone know if you are still required to fill out the health questionnaire prior to boarding still?