Jewel: Haven 2-BDRM vs. Deluxe Owners Suite (DOS)

sr71_1

Currently have a Haven 2-BDRM booked on Jewel (Alaska)... 2 x parents + 2 adult children (girls).    I'm having second thoughts.. thinking the DOS might be a better choice for 4 of us.   Looking for comparative opinions!! 

Questions:

DOS: 

- Does anyone have a layout of the Jewel DOS ?  (I cannot find one anywhere)

- Is there a closet for the guests sleeping in the living room?

- How big is the living room bed?

- I assume the staff does a turn down service each evening?     

2-BDRM

- Is there a closet in the 2nd bedroo 

- It appears that there are two beds (one high & one low) in bedroom?

Thanks 

We had the DOS on the Jade back in February. The main closet is enormous, it's a separate walk in closet off the master bathroom. Plenty of room for everyone to share that and room to store luggage as well.

I believe our layout was different from what is on the other ships, but we had a huge bed facing one of the balconies, which was back-to-back with the couch in the living room, which faced out at the second balcony. Living room was huge, but there would be zero privacy if sharing the one big room with 4 people.

We're booked for a 2br suite on the Epic in January, so can't help you with that until next year.

I think it will really depend on the age of your girls and if they would want a little privacy, or if they'll be headed to bed before the parents. With the DOS, you can't watch tv or stay up and chat as you'll be in the same room with the other guests. The 2br gives them a place to go watch tv on their own or head to bed, while you still enjoy the evening a bit longer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sr71_1 said:

Currently have a Haven 2-BDRM booked on Jewel (Alaska)... 2 x parents + 2 adult children (girls).    I'm having second thoughts.. thinking the DOS might be a better choice for 4 of us.   Looking for comparative opinions!! 

Questions:

DOS: 

- Does anyone have a layout of the Jewel DOS ?  (I cannot find one anywhere)

- Is there a closet for the guests sleeping in the living room?

- How big is the living room bed?

2-BDRM

- Is there a closet in the 2nd bedroo 

- It appears that there are two beds (one high & one low) in bedroom?

Thanks 

To get a better idea of the Haven DOS deck 15 stairway access ONLY use this LINK:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=11858

The NCL provided floorplan is not even close to actual the layout !

There is a closet for the 3-4 guests near the entry door

There is a half-bath (shower commode sink) next to entry door closet

Yes the cabin attendant will make the bedding arrangement whatever you want

The main cabin bedroom is really suitable for one guest

IMO - This cabin is not the best arrangement for your family of 4

Regarding the Haven 2BR you no doubt have reviewed these since you have booked one

but if you want to go back and look again use this LINK and click on deck 14 -

lots of YouTube videos and camera images:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Jewel

Remember to click on deck 14

The 2nd BR has a small closet across from the half-bath (shower commode sink)

Consider using one of the guests suitcases placed under a bed for additional

storage - the Master bedroom does have a large closet but in using it would

interrupt bathroom or bedroom activity for the master bedroom guests.

There is a couch that coverts to one bed and a pull down Pullman type bed ---

In the main cabin there is a couch that converts to a single bed - this maybe your

best arrangement for creature comfort.

For your family I would go for the 2BR cabin and would book a port side cabin.

Was on the last cruise of this season Seward-Vancouver DOS 15500 and loved it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Found some photos of our DOS when we were on the Jade, to give you an idea of how close you would be to each other with 4 people sharing the room.

12.jpg

11.jpg

???

Were these photos of the OS deck 9 or 10 ?

There is only one DOS deck 15 on the JADE unless dry-dock renovation has changed that.

• Like 1

The 2br suites are actually three rooms - a Living Room, a Master Bedroom/Bathroom and the second Bedroom/ bathroom. There are TVs everywhere even in the master bathroom. The master suite is huge with lots of closet storage - two sinks, shower, and spa tub that overlooks the sea and the balcony (it also has shades). The second bedroom is about the size of an inside cabin and has a sofa that makes into a bed as well as a bunk that pulls down from the wall. The living room sofa also converts to a bed. So depending on how close your adult girls are one can sleep in the living room and the other in the 2nd bedroom. There are doors that separate the master bedroom from the living room that make it semi private there is also a door between the 2nd bedroom and the living room. We were three adults in one of these suites for 14 days and had a wonderful time. There was lots of space for all of us to either gather or be apart. The large table was great for eating meals and playing games. If I remember correctly, the DOS on deck 15 of the Jewel were added during the last drydock IMHO these suites are the ultimate for two people but no more - esp with adults.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

???

Were these photos of the OS deck 9 or 10 ?

There is only one DOS deck 15 on the JADE unless dry-dock renovation has changed that.

This was the deluxe owners suite on the Jade. Deck 15, but you enter from deck 14 and have to walk up a flight of stairs to reach it. Some additional photos of the staircase, view from the left balcony, and view of the dining room/bar/front door.

It was a fun room if you wanted to feel like you were in the middle of all the pool activity, without actually being there. But you felt the movement of the ship A LOT. The only trip I've felt sea sick on from all the swaying. Plus the wind is really bad up there at times too.

14.jpg

13.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the thoughts .....going to stick with the Haven 2 Bdrm for this cruise.   

Not being a regular cruiser I find it rather amazing that NCL does not show the room layout for one of their most expensive suites - Haven DOS.   Rather lazy on their part.      

After watching a few customer video's yesterday, I have feeling that their website "footprint " estimates for Haven DOs are for perhaps another ship  - the balcony for instance is noted as "roughly" 567 sq. ft.   My best guess is that the balcony is 200 sq. ft... (I plan to send a note to NCL)....

Thanks again  

The room layout for ours was completely wrong too. I think the image they had was actually for the Pearl, which is different from the Jade. Jade has the bed and couch back to back, with 2 separate balconies. The Pearl I believe has a more open floor plan with the bed against the wall, but only a single balcony which is larger and has a private jacuzzi. We asked specifically about that because I didn't see it in actual videos/photos fro people who stayed there, and was told 'yes' the DOS on the Jade has the jacuzzi (it did not).

• Like 1

So it would appear that all four JEWEL class ships have a different floor deck plan from what is shown.

I was in 15500 on the JEWEL recently and this video LINK:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=11858

is exactly what I experienced ! (Not the people in the video) LOL !

From looking back at the previous posts plans charts illustrations and so on and so forth the deck 15

area was designed to be a Concierge Lounge for Haven guests to meet the Concierge have a snack and

drink while overlooking the Pool Deck 3 decks below and a prime private sheltered viewing area for viewing

glaciers and other sites.

BUT seriously who wants to climb 18 steps to do all that and NCL found that they can derive more revenue by the

conversion to deluxe cabins (DOS) and that is exactly what NCL did.

The motion is not so much a problem as the WIND - this cabin is at the top of the ship and right in the

eye of the very windy tiger. The deck furniture does a dance with every breeze - and beware opening any door

to the deck the drapes and curtains want to set sail on their own. You don't need any white noise machine

at night the wind will have its own noise making ability whistling with any open crevice.

Another detraction is the (hot) water has to come from some 12 decks below you - so you have to run the water

a few minutes to get up a head of steam to take a shower or using the vanity sink.

Traditionally the GV DOS and OS were provided with binoculars - sadly NCL has discontinued that and made it

on a request basis which I did. A laptop computer was one of the other items that used to be provided - no more.

• Like 1