South America

Beachvue

Looking at various tours on the Chile/Argentina cruise in Feb.  Have opportunity for penguin tours in Punta Arenas, Falkland Islands and Puerto Madryn.    Have seen many favorable comments on the Volunteer Pt excursion.  Wondering which place would be the best for seeing the penguins.  TIA.  

My wife and I took a penguin tour  at Puerto Madryn and the Falkland Islands (Volunteer Point).  Both were excellent, but different species of penguins at each.  Puerto Madryn (Punta Tombo) has mainly Magellan penguins, while the Falkland Islands (Volunteer Point) have King penguins.  Both are long rides from the port but we probably had more "penguin time" at Punta Tombo.  

Sometimes the Falkland Island stop is cancelled due to high winds, so I would definitely book the Punta Tombo tour.  On the other hand, you get to ride with a local in their 4x4 when going to Volunteer Point, which was really interesting because we got all the local flavor of the islands.  

One of our main goals of this trip was to see penguins, so we booked both and I'm glad we did.  

Wondering the same as we are traveling there in Jan-Feb so i asked the question of a cruiser who traveled 3 times around cape horn.  They said #1 Volunteer Point, #2 Punto Tombo and #3 Puerto Arenas.  Their opinion of course.  We booked Volunteer Point and opted for a private excursion to Penninsula Valdes & Estancia San Lorenzo for Puerto Madryn.  There are Magellan Penguins there as well as elephant seals, orcas, sea lions and a host of different land animals and birds to see.

I'm with Tom, book more than one!!!

BUT opt for a small independent tour. It will get you out there before the shorex buses arrive and the place crowds up. Also, timing is important and you will have to check online to learn approximate what time of year the penguins abandon the nesting grounds; the later in the season you travel, the greater the chance that they have fled.

Patrick Watts is the one to use in Falkland Islands. The guide we used for Puerto Madryn I believe is retired and no longer doing tours, so I have no suggestions here.

If it is the wildlife you are interested in, do a Beagle Channel cruise --birds and sea-lions, not to mention the scenery! Again, we went independent and booked our tickets with one of the many tour operators when we arrived in port. The ticketing shacks are all located in one place. We had a group of 20 or so from our roll call and a fluent Spanish speaker who negotiated a group discount for us.

Ushaia/Beagle Channel:

image.thumb.png.dcb0a8da7f2e6234bda4fe615d3a634c.png

image.thumb.png.b60c4ff412172dd8846ceb8a95740598.png

image.thumb.png.837480ed83c972a9f902dd9ba26472c4.png

• Like 1

Book penquins every chance you get,. Faulklands was incredible..not to be missed..we did private with estancia..

We also did Punto Tombo.. incredible..

So incredible we are not going to New Zealand to see more penquins 

13 minutes ago, Beachvue said:

Thanks to all for the wonderful comments and recommendations.   We were originally thinking of only one penguin tour but now we will do more! 

Good idea..your cruise may miss a port or two so best to book lots of penquins 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:24 AM, The Other Tom said:

My wife and I took a penguin tour  at Puerto Madryn and the Falkland Islands (Volunteer Point).  Both were excellent, but different species of penguins at each. 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, geffric said:

Book penquins every chance you get,. Faulklands was incredible..not to be missed..we did private with estancia..

We also did Punto Tombo.. incredible..

We don't travel till next year but I have already been in touch with Patrick Watts to arrange Volunteer Point tour. Does anyone have any suggestions for a private tour operator in Puerto Madryn ?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a private tour operator in Puerto Madryn ?

Check out the Ports of Call section of these boards for this question. Bigger audience, more chance of finding some suggestions. Also check out Trip Advisor.