Maiden Voyage of Cunard's New Ship

Jack E Dawson

Besides the obvious, of just waiting for the 2022 schedule to be posted by Cunard, can anyone suggest how best to secure a booking on the maiden voyage of the new ship (Queen Anne???). We are relatively new to cruising (2017), so we weren't around when the QM2, QE and QV were put into service. Would be very interested in hearing any first hand accounts of securing a booking and/or sailing on the maiden voyage on one of the present Queens. Does Cunard hold back a lot of cabins for VIP's and in-house use? Is the maiden voyage usually restricted to travel agents and industry reporters? Is there ever a lottery? I know there has been a lot of criticism of the new ship on the CC Cunard Board and I am sure that there are some real downsides to sailing on a maiden voyage, glitches and probably some final touches needed (and yes, I've heard of the Titanic) but we still think it would be very exciting to be on the maiden voyage of a new Cunard ship. 

Thanks,

Jack

• Haha 1

I had a booking on QM2’s Maiden TA-I changed it (drat!!!!) and sailed on her with a friend from Piraeus after the 2004 Olympics.

Maiden Season BUT not that glorious stormy Atlantic crossing, I did the Maiden TAs on QE and QV-Winter crossings-stormy and wonderful. Mind you the Maiden of QM2 was a cruise to the West Indies.  There are always ‘glitches’ - do it anyway. 😁 

According to the joint press release from Cunard and Fincantieri bookings for the new ship are to begin in 2020.  Cunard has announced very few details so far and they will need a deck plan before they can sell any accommodations.  There will probably be a one-day pre-sale for  World Club members before booking is open to the general public. 

There were plenty of service glitches on QM2 when she came out of a major refit in 2016, so imagine the entire crew being new to a ship.  Problems aside, many would love to have bragging rights of being on a maiden voyage. 

Edited by BlueRiband

We booked QM2’s maiden voyage way back in ‘99. When they announced that it would be going to Ft Lauderdale we swapped to the maiden transatlantic. Still very happy with that decision.

We booked QV’s maiden voyage in ‘02. Then that ship got cancelled (moved to P&O) and we had to wait a further two years until Dec of ‘07. We thought if it’s December they must be going somewhere warm, The Canaries, Casablanca, maybe into the Med. But no. Why not The Baltic? In December?

If you’re the sort of person who has to have everything absolutely perfect then a maiden voyage is probably not for you. Just like moving house, it takes a few days to find things.   Day 2 they found the trays for the Lido. Day 3 the napkins. Another couple of days and they had tracked down the teaspoons. Then the plumbing started to fail. By the end of the cruise most of the ship was without flushing toilets. We had no problems with the food but large numbers of people were complaining of cold and lukewarm meals. When we got back to Southampton one of the huge ovens was removed and replaced.

By the time QE came around Cunard had stopped taking bookings so far in advance, and I expect it to be the same this time. Like BlueRiband says, there will probably be a one, maybe two, day pre-sale for WC members.

Regards, Colin.

• Like 1

If anyone suffers from severe insomnia this may be the cure.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Transatlantic can be watched, starting here.  Part 2,  3,  4 & 5

Queen Victoria Naming ceremony and Maiden Voyage is here. (Maiden Voyage starts at 3:50)

These are old videos so the picture quality isn't great.

Regards, Colin.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Besides the obvious, of just waiting for the 2022 schedule to be posted by Cunard, can anyone suggest how best to secure a booking on the maiden voyage of the new ship (Queen Anne???). We are relatively new to cruising (2017), so we weren't around when the QM2, QE and QV were put into service. Would be very interested in hearing any first hand accounts of securing a booking and/or sailing on the maiden voyage on one of the present Queens. Does Cunard hold back a lot of cabins for VIP's and in-house use? Is the maiden voyage usually restricted to travel agents and industry reporters? Is there ever a lottery? I know there has been a lot of criticism of the new ship on the CC Cunard Board and I am sure that there are some real downsides to sailing on a maiden voyage, glitches and probably some final touches needed (and yes, I've heard of the Titanic) but we still think it would be very exciting to be on the maiden voyage of a new Cunard ship. 

Thanks,

Jack

The "Opening Cruise" could be considered the maiden voyage.  

It is alleged the "opening crew" were selected about a year ago.  Most of the opening crew are currently on the QE, allegedly.   A few practice guests were invited by discreet invitation, allegedly.

But then again this could be total fantasy, allegedly.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

Colin - thanks great videos- and nice set off for QM2 - 15 years back.

I would not dream of booking the maiden voyage on board a ship I have no idea how it looks. If  our worst fears are realized and they got rid of their trademark prommenade deck- I will stick to the other 3 Queens!