It was a pretty good river cruise season, wasn't it?

Bake apple

We cruised this year in late May/early June from Budapest to Amsterdam; we started off our trip in Prague. First time to Prague  and we found it to be stunningly beautiful, the beer cold and so inexpensive and the food really good. Shout out to the pig knuckle chefs! Magical Budapest, elegant Vienna, beautiful Cologne and fun loving Amsterdam. Vineyards, castles and churches oh my. We didn't have any issues with the river levels this year thank goodness (!)  and except for the crush of 1,000s of fellow tourists, we though it all went well.  How about you?

• Like 2

We got off the Rhine two weeks ago, and while it rained just about every day (but not all day, thank goodness), water levels were NOT a problem at all, and we had a fantastic time.  When the rivers cooperate, these river cruises are a great thing!

3 hours ago, Bake apple said:

We cruised this year in late May/early June from Budapest to Amsterdam; we started off our trip in Prague. First time to Prague  and we found it to be stunningly beautiful, the beer cold and so inexpensive and the food really good. Shout out to the pig knuckle chefs! Magical Budapest, elegant Vienna, beautiful Cologne and fun loving Amsterdam. Vineyards, castles and churches oh my. We didn't have any issues with the river levels this year thank goodness (!)  and except for the crush of 1,000s of fellow tourists, we though it all went well.  How about you?

We did the Rhine/Moselle in August.  Hot as the blazes every day.  One day we had a freak rain squall (blew the lounge chairs on the upper deck all over the place).

But, overall, very nice.

• Like 1

We got off of a Scenic Rhine cruise a week ago. We too had a little more rain than I'd like, but some sunny breaks too. 

No water level problem though so all good. And we are just finishing a week in Vienna where we have had the best weather imaginable. On to Budapest for five days tomorrow. 

Special thanks to notamermaid for all her help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to add to the conversation - our early April Danube cruise from Budapest to Bucharest encountered heavy winds lasting a few days that created problems, delays, schedule changes and nearly cancelled three days of cruising. So yes, water levels are definitely a thing, but wind events can be an issue as well. Who knew?

We had a fabulous time (Viking handled the last-minute changes exceptionally well I might add), but I never considered that a wind event could be so problematic. 

Jeff