Embarkation Using On Line Check In

High C's

We have never experienced on line check in before.  I have completed the on line check in, complete with photo and credit card info.  I have the app on my phone.  I have both electronic and hard copies of our boarding passes.  So my question is - what happens when we arrive at the port?  Do we still have to line up at the counters, or do we just head straight to the ship?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

• Thanks 2

We're just home from 12 days on Reflection. We had done everything you have done and yes we still had to lineup. Our passports were reviewed, we were told our photos were adequate and we got our cruise cards. The prices took only a minute or so. 

IMHO, online check-in just makes it easier/ faster for the pier staff (read that as hire less people). 

Always still have had to line up and show documents.  

Maybe some day the benefits of on-line check in will trickle-down to us too.

You don't say what ship and terminal.  On the revolutionized ships they do not scan your passport or credit card.  The electronic boarding pass shows them you have already entered that information.  My experience is only with the Equinox out of Terminal 25 in Port Everglades.  You have your face scanned via a recognition device, then the pier personnelle scan your electronic pass.  You then perhaps have to line up if boarding has not started or is going in batches.  You do not have to show anything again.   

We recently used the App to checkin at Civitavecchia and boarding was a breeze.  We are in a suite but looked like general boarding was much the same.    Initially we stood in front of a camera and it confirmed that our passports had already been scanned and we were recognized by facial recognition.   An attendant then scanned our boarding pass on our phone and we were then directed to security and then we walked directly onto the ship.    I am on Edge so may vary but we were told we would find our Sea Pass in the slot next to our door.    Total time from our car to room was less than 5 minutes and we never had to line up at a counter.    

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

You don't say what ship and terminal.  On the revolutionized ships they do not scan your passport or credit card.  The electronic boarding pass shows them you have already entered that information.  My experience is only with the Equinox out of Terminal 25 in Port Everglades.  You have your face scanned via a recognition device, then the pier personnelle scan your electronic pass.  You then perhaps have to line up if boarding has not started or is going in batches.  You do not have to show anything again.   

Just got back last week  from back to back cruises  on the Equinox. Embarkation was horrible. We did the online with facial recognition and arrived before boarding started. We were told we would get priority expedited boarding because of it . That line took 4x longer than the people just getting their bar code scanned. They even held our line, which was supposed to get priority boarding to let the hoard of people getting through all the other lines so quick just having the bar code scanned instead of facial scan. Facial scans were very slow in comparison.

I agree that the terminal people need a lot more training.  We’ve cruised Equinox four times since her revolution and the first two were fast and great with the Expedited Boarding...the last two were as you described...nothing expedited about it at all!!!  Hopefully it’s a learning curve... 

The answers really depend on the ship and embarkation port.   Our check-in last month for the "revolutionized" Summit in Cape Liberty could not have been easier or faster.  No line, just went up to an agent with a tablet.  We'd already uploaded our security photos; the agent scanned the bar codes on our Express Passes (we had them in the app, but also printed out also just in case).   The whole thing took seconds.