How freestyle is the MDR?

DimSum

We are going on our cruise with about 30 days.  

DH is wondering how freestyle is the MDR on the Escape? 

Will khaki shorts be acceptable for men in the MDR?  After much reading, I see the specialty restaurants have a long pants policy.  But not confident about the dress policy for the MDR.

• Like 1

On Escape, shorts are allowed in all MDRs.

Only 2 specialty restaurants on Escape require long pants (Bayamo, Le Bistro). Shorts are allowed everywhere else including all meals in the Haven restaurant. 

When in doubt, always check the ship's dailies. Dress codes differ on different ships. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DimSum said:

We are going on our cruise with about 30 days.  DH is wondering how freestyle is the MDR on the Escape? Will khaki shorts be acceptable for men in the MDR?  After much reading, I see the specialty restaurants have a long pants policy.  But not confident about the dress policy for the MDR.

What you have been reading and asserting in your post is not correct. 

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Bayamo and Le Bistro. For Bayamo and Le Bistro, they kindly ask that gents wear long pants (jeans, dockers) and a collared shirt (polo shirt). 

That being said, you will see more long pants than shorts in the Manhattan Room. But it is not required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexxfield said:

On the Breakaway, we were politely denied entry to the Manhattan Room because we were wearing shorts.  The receptionist stated that shorts are allowed on the first and last nights on that ship.

Yes, shorts aren’t allowed in Manhattan on some ships.

However, the OP is discussing the Escape, which is one where shorts are allowed there.

Edited by KeithJenner

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What you have been reading and asserting in your post is not correct. 

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Bayamo and Le Bistro. For Bayamo and Le Bistro, they kindly ask that gents wear long pants (jeans, dockers) and a collared shirt (polo shirt). 

That being said, you will see more long pants than shorts in the Manhattan Room. But it is not required. 

Not on all ships.

I haven't been on the escape. But on the ships we have been on we have had no issues with my BF eating in the casual MDR and the no-extra-fee (on top of the "free" dining package) specialty restaurants (cagney's, teppanyaki, etc) wearing shorts. 

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

Not on all ships.

The OP is sailing on Escape. The info given is correct for Escape.

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

But on the ships we have been on we have had no issues with my BF eating in the casual MDR and the no-extra-fee (on top of the "free" dining package) specialty restaurants (cagney's, teppanyaki, etc) wearing shorts. 

Shorts are allowed in Cagney's and Teppanyaki across the fleet.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year on the EPIC sailing from PC in Dec was one of the most relaxed free style dressing ever experienced on NCL (crushing since 2005)

not much dressing for either men or women dinner time and shorts were accepted at LeBistro-we were a tad surprised, but since we weren’t dressing up either (not in shorts) it didn’t bother me but I did notice

Going on the Joy in December out of San Pedro and I suspect we will see much the same

16 hours ago, maksafety said:

On Breakaway last week shorts were not allowed in Manhattan Room, Ocean Blue, and Le Bistro. No idea if this was enforced though. 

This is odd, as I've never seen this on Getaway or Escape in the MDRs.  You'd think it'd be one policy fleetwide.  I'll be on Breakaway for the first time later this month... guess I better pack pants for the kids.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:29 AM, lexxfield said:

On the Breakaway, we were politely denied entry to the Manhattan Room because we were wearing shorts.  The receptionist stated that shorts are allowed on the first and last nights on that ship.

I was on the joy last month. That was my experience also

2 hours ago, kpjb said:

This is odd, as I've never seen this on Getaway or Escape in the MDRs.  You'd think it'd be one policy fleetwide.  I'll be on Breakaway for the first time later this month... guess I better pack pants for the kids.

As has been said above, it does differ from ship to ship. In my experience, the majority do not allow shorts in the aft MDR. In fact, the Getaway and Escape are the two ships I've been on which allow them. The other NCL ships that I've been on in the past few years (Breakaway, Epic, Jade, Pearl, Pride of America, Spirit and Star) don't allow shorts there.

I'm not sure of the rules on the ships newer than the Escape (Joy, Bliss and Encore). I've not been on them, but my guess would be that shorts are allowed.

To be clear, before I get loads of responses saying "I wore shorts in the MDR", I am talking about what the official dress code is. It isn't always followed by staff (ie the Epic experience noted above).

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I'm not sure of the rules on the ships newer than the Escape (Joy, Bliss and Encore). I've not been on them, but my guess would be that shorts are allowed.

Long pants required for newest ships....

Joy - Ocean Blue and Le Bistro

Bliss - Ocean Blue and Le Bistro

Encore - Ocean Blue and Le Bistro

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

To be clear, before I get loads of responses saying "I wore shorts in the MDR", I am talking about what the official dress code is. It isn't always followed by staff (ie the Epic experience noted above).

True.

When people ask for info, they should be given the correct info. If the staff looks the other way, so be it. 

1 hour ago, waitingtogo said:

some will stick their noses up at you,,,,, but i have never seen any turned away in the last couple of years.. its your cruise  enjoy.

You will have people who dress up in a gown and jackets at one table and folks in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops at the next table. I don't mind that a bit because I'm not concerned how other people look.