Transatlantic in March

Jammy Bun

We did this TA this spring, and also did San Juan to Barcelona last spring. We loved the sea days and will do this cruise again.

The weather was lovely and we had warm weather (shorts and short sleeve shirts) the first week and then cooler weather (long pants and long sleeve shirts) the second week.  We ate breakfast and lunch outside virtually every day. People were hanging out around the aft pool/hot tub sunbathing and swimming. 

As far as sea conditions, I am probably not the best judge as these are the only 2 cruises I have done. There was some motion on some days. At night we felt some motion when in bed but it did not bother me. I do not have any motion sickness tendencies though.

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Seriously thinking about booking a transatlantic next year (Miami to Barcelona), but slightly concerned about the weather and sea conditions.  Anyone done this, so early in the year, and have any comments?

thanks

Janet

Really impossible to comment on potential weather, as the Atlantic weather can change quickly. Completed many crossings in most months of the year. The ports of call can also impact the route.

Basically, plan for the worst weather & seas and be pleasantly surprised if it is smooth sailing. Enjoy the cruise

Thanks both for the replies.  We've crossed once before, from NY to Southampton, but that was on QM2 which hardly moved at all, even though the conditions were far from calm!  We don't usually suffer from sea-sickness and absolutely love sea days (there are only 2 ports of call - St Martin and Madeira) so it sounds like it may be a good one for us to try.

We crossed, Lisbon to Miami in Dec.  last year.  There were a few days of rocking early in the cruise, but IMO nothing substantial.  However, as what I have learned on here is that just because one cruise can have smooth sailings, not all will on that same route.

Neither DH nor I get seasick.  I got a good test earlier this year on a much smaller dive boat in Belize.  My advice is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  

7 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Thanks both for the replies.  We've crossed once before, from NY to Southampton, but that was on QM2 which hardly moved at all, even though the conditions were far from calm!  We don't usually suffer from sea-sickness and absolutely love sea days (there are only 2 ports of call - St Martin and Madeira) so it sounds like it may be a good one for us to try.

With those 2 ports you shouldn't get too far North, so always a better chance of nicer weather.

The QM2 is a classic liner that glides through the seas, similar to the SS Oriana, which was built in the NW. Unfortunately, these new ships don't handle seas quite so well.

On our March 2018 TA, San Juan to Barcelona and had loooong rolling seas parallel to our forward motion for almost the entire trip.  It did not seem to make anyone sick but we did have to hold on a good bit and most were happy when it stopped after we got to Cadiz.  

This past March, we only had rough seas one night.  It caused some folks some issues, for us the only issue was one large reportedly “rogue” wave the next night (2am) that woke up a number of us (including the Captain according to his daily announcement the next day) as it seemed to stop forward motion of the ship for a second or three.  I laid awake awhile to be sure that we hadn’t hit something!

FWIW, our seas in the East China Sea between China and Japan last month were much worse (for a day or two) than any we experienced during our TAs. 

14 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

... prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  

Sounds like good advice!  Thanks Mich3554.

Thanks also Heidi13 - We did enjoy parts of the QM2 crossing, but not the constant dressing up (and some snobbery).  Would do it again maybe, as it's a relaxing way to get back home after a US vacation.  No jet Lag!  

And Clay - thanks for your input too.  I was hoping you'd pop up, as I've very much enjoyed reading your blogs.  No chance that you'll be on this March 2020 crossing?  🙂

9 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

And Clay - thanks for your input too.  I was hoping you'd pop up, as I've very much enjoyed reading your blogs.  No chance that you'll be on this March 2020 crossing?  🙂

Thanks for following along!  It doesn’t appear we will. We are about 75%sure we are going to be extra frugal this year and take a Royal Caribbean TA.  While we know it won’t  be as fabulous as Viking, the cost for both of us is $1000 less than the cost for one of us on Viking!  Hopefully we won’t regret that decision. I know we didn’t regret our Transpacific on X which was equally well priced. 

We looked seriously at Vikings Buenos Aires to Barcelona cruise and if theybend up throwing in air and any other promos I think that might be the only way we will be on a Viking TA this year.  

But hopefully we get to cruise them again sometime soon!  

• Like 1