Cancel a cruise right before final payment, partly b/c of availability?

CP3o

I have a spring break cruise but not everyone is ready to commit to the final payment due this month. I see a lot of availablity (Escape) so I fell ok about canceling it even tho MAY end up on the cruise.  We just can't decide for sure by final payment date.  

Has anyone else decided to sort of chance it and had good or bad results deciding to book closer to sail date?  There seem to be a lot of ships available March 2020 so I think it's almost silly to keep the reservation (not married to cabin location).

Better safe than sorry - I would cancel now while it won't cost you anything.  Lately I have noticed that some cruises are far from sold at final payment - perhaps people have learned that prices tend to plummet the closer to sail time - your room choice may not be the best and sometimes the perks go away - but the savings may be worth it.

I book mostly last minute.  From a couple weeks prior to the night before sailing   You HAVE to be accepting of not going and the cruise price going up.     A bigger risk with only considering one ship and one date     There is no way to predict anything.      You would be more successful with a lot more flexibility.     

I split the difference on an October cruise I just booked - I suspect that it won't be full but with the 20% latitudes discount and other perks, I'm not sure it will be that much cheaper if I wait.  But I booked an OV cabin when I usually book a balcony, so I will have wiggle-room to upgrade if prices go down.