Venice Hotel Recs needed!

Drose716

Help! I literally know nothing about Venice currently! We will be ending our cruise in Venice this coming August. We're staying 1 night post cruise. The catch is that we have a 7am flight home 😳 We should be off the ship early so we'll have a full day to explore. I think given the super early flight the next morning it makes sense to be convenient to the airport to reduce the ugly hour we have to head out.

Any hotel recommendations? I've seen on here that ability to handle luggage is a factor. We're all young & able to manage our luggage & foot travel.

47 minutes ago, Drose716 said:

Help! I literally know nothing about Venice currently! We will be ending our cruise in Venice this coming August. We're staying 1 night post cruise. The catch is that we have a 7am flight home 😳 We should be off the ship early so we'll have a full day to explore. I think given the super early flight the next morning it makes sense to be convenient to the airport to reduce the ugly hour we have to head out.

Any hotel recommendations? I've seen on here that ability to handle luggage is a factor. We're all young & able to manage our luggage & foot travel.

I would google hotels that are right by the People Mover. Then you don’t have to drag bags over bridges and you can catch a bus or a taxi early before your flight.  Or, get a hotel by the airport, and just take a bus into Venice, sight see and head back to the hotel by the airport knowing you’re right there and sleep sound! 

You have basically two options.

One, stay at a hotel at/very near Piazzale Roma so it's easy to get to from the ship and easy to get from there to the airport (bus or taxi).  The first bus to the airport departs at 4:20 AM (arrives just before 5 AM) so that would work for you:  https://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35_dal_27.10.19_al_28.03.2020.pdf

Two, check your bags at the left luggage office in Piazzale Roma after leaving the ship, spend the day in Venice, then bus or taxi to an airport hotel.  You'd have to check and see if any of the hotels near the airport offer a shuttle service, that's not common in Italy as it is in the States.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

The airport is only a 20 minute drive from Piazzale Roma, via taxi or bus.

Hotels near Piazzale Roma:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-piazzale-roma.htm

Hotels nr the airport:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-airport-hotels.htm

If you need an economical option ..... stay in Mestre by the train station.  Mestre hotels are cheaper because it's not Venice, but it's only 10 minutes away by bus/train and less than 2E pp.    You could take a cab from the pier to Mestre, check your bags at the hotel, then take the bus or train back to Venice to sightsee.  The ATVO express bus that eurocruiser posted of, is also available from Mestre.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels.htm

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, Drose716 said:

If you don't mind a non-hotel recommendation, I'm going to butt in here. Actually, I guess I'm doing it whether or not you mind, but you're welcome to stop reading at any time.

Last time we were in Venice, we had a similar situation, just one day. We dropped off luggage and met a guide we found on AirBnB Experiences for a foodie walking tour. We met near an open air market where we started, then walked around, well away from most tourists, stopping at three different osterias, enjoying cicchetti (think: Italian tapas) and a small cup of wine at each one. Fosca also showed us some of her favorite little hideaways and viewpoints, then we went to the rooftop of a several hundred year-old building that is now a mall (you'd never know from the outside) and had a great view. Fosca was an amazing guide, and we learned so much from her! That was "lunch."

Then, we walked back to the hotel for a nap. 

We did a similar thing for "dinner," stopping at four completely different small, out of the way places loved by locals, and trying different foods and drinks at each one. Our guide this time was adequate, but his friend/assistant was wonderful! 

We had plenty of food and wine for less than we spent on restaurant meals last time, and truly enjoyed walking around with locals who are in love with their home. We would do it again in a heartbeat!

With this being your first visit, you'll likely want to hit some of the big attractions. I imagine you can certainly talk a guide into that, if you're the only ones in the group as we were. You could always hit them on your own. It's easy to get around Venice.

By the way, I agree with hotel ideas above. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

• Like 1

Or..... stay right in magical Venice and take a water taxi to the airport.   This is the most expensive option but our memories of leaving Venice at dawn in a private boat are priceless.  

We like the Best Western Hotel Ala, two old palazzos,  roof top views,  Murano chandeliers and right on a canal.  Easy access by vaporetto as well.  

Edited by bennybear

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, Drose716 said:

On 11/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, Drose716 said:

Hotel Rialto!

We leave from Venice and are staying at M Gallery Hotel Papadopoli pre cruise.  It is  right near Piazza Roma.  We have not stayed there yet, but if you decide to stay in that area you have another hotel to check out!  Good luck:)

We have NOT been to Venice yet, but ...

Our TA recommended the Conrad on the Grand, right across the canal from the train station.  A bridge is close, and it appears to be a reasonable walk from P Roma after you get off the People Mover.  I remember seeing that there is a train to the airport as well.

I will recommend that you take the hotel names and search for them on Google Earth.  It makes the decision making a little less stressful.

I loved my last stay at the Bauer Hotel a few steps from St. Marks square but you only have one night. Look at the Garden Hotel Olimpia...https://www.hotel-olimpia.com/ close to the cruise port you can drop off your luggage in the morning and off you go. The hotel is walking distance to all the sites,  plus on the water so you can take a water taxi anywhere. Forget the people mover and the bus to the airport you can arrange for a private car with porter service for your bags for about 100 euros round trip. They meet you at the ship to take you to the hotel, porter service for 5 euro a bag over the bridge to the front desk, then from the hotel to the airport. Think about all the bags you are going to have to carry let them do it. Contact Irene for car service... coneglianolimoservice <coneglianolimoservice@gmail.com.

Edited by southernbreezes