La Reserve on Marina - feedback?

KikiKruiser

We like LaReserve - more for the food than for the wine (Admitted victims of NorCal "house palate") 

You mention "2-3 glasses." Remember that this is, in part, a wine pairing experience. So, the initial pour of each wine selection can (and should be) a small serving. Of course, you can have more. But, most people do pace themselves in keeping with the concept.

That said, there's usually at least one unfamiliar one that I might search for once we're home.

I agree with the Flyer. It’s by far the best food on the ship and the menus change as the wines do. The wines are typically solid but nothing overly WOW. Often some interesting pairings that gets one out of their small boxes. A great evening and lots of fun. 

One gets about 3 ounce pours of about 5 wines . So that’s 15 ounces, if one drinks all of each. Depending upon establishment a regular glass of wine is 4-5 ounces. So total is around 3-4 glasses. They will pour more of any wine you like after the initial pour.

Lots of wonderful food. Don’t touch the breads! They’re great but will quickly fill you by course #3 with 3 courses to go yet. Eat the bread elsewhere!

Let me reiterate one point.

Unlike the Specialties, the food and wine changes on a regular basis. So if you do a certain dinner now, it will be a completely different menu, of the same quality,  with different wines in 18 months or so. New wines with new foods paired with them. Part of the pleasure! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I agree with the Flyer. It’s by far the best food on the ship and the menus change as the wines do. The wines are typically solid but nothing overly WOW. Often some interesting pairings that gets one out of their small boxes. A great evening and lots of fun. 

One gets about 3 ounce pours of about 5 wines . So that’s 15 ounces, if one drinks all of each. Depending upon establishment a regular glass of wine is 4-5 ounces. So total is around 3-4 glasses. They will pour more of any wine you like after the initial pour.

Lots of wonderful food. Don’t touch the breads! They’re great but will quickly fill you by course #3 with 3 courses to go yet. Eat the bread elsewhere!

And when you do eat the bread (anywhere on O), this is the one to never miss:

IMG_8570.JPG

• Like 4

Had a wonderful evening in La Reserve last week.The food was very french therefore very rich. Huge portions.All delicious.Staff were so experienced.There if you wanted them but discreetly tucked away if not.

Being a French menu obviously paired with french wines.

Wines are changing in France due to climate change (even champagne) and some weren’t so good.

But a fun evening and good time.Would recommend.

Ho9w does one define "huge" portions?  We've done La Reserve on Marina and Riviera, and I'd never say the portions were "huge".  Although by the time you've waded through multiple courses, you are still very full!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Ho9w does one define "huge" portions?  We've done La Reserve on Marina and Riviera, and I'd never say the portions were "huge".  Although by the time you've waded through multiple courses, you are still very full!

That's what I had thought.  More a "tasting menu."

Maybe you were lucky?  The ones I received I'd liken more to appetizer sizes than dinner portions (per course).

That's not a problem because if they picked an ingredient I don't care for, it's not so embarrassing to leave a nearly full plate ... I know more will be coming.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Hardly a tasting menu. Many portions are exactly what you'd get as a regular serving in many Michelin starred restaurants.

In any case, the overall meal and wine are plenty.

Thanks.  Then way too much food for us.  We have a chef friend who has let us share a tasting menu and pay for a second wine pairing.  Good info here.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Mura;

Sorry the word haven’t got deleted! I’ve never received a large portion, no less a huge portion.

NWIW, I’ve always left pleasantly stuffed!

I suspected that might be the case!!

Back to the original posting. My friend and I are both what you would call a glass of wine or no more than two at a setting. However we love the La Reserve dinners. We have gotten to taste wines we would not normally try and again as said the food is great. I would say go and enjoy and you can literally just taste the wines with each serving or have more if you really enjoy one or two. At our last La Reserve the woman across from me loved the 3rd wine so much that when they started with the next white she just asked if she could have more of that one instead of the next one and they gladly did just that for her. Enjoy. It is a wonderful evening of wine, food, and people visiting. Julia

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, KikiKruiser said:

For anyone who has experienced La Reserve on the Marina... if you're not totally into wines (i.e. 2-3 glasses is your limit), did you feel the extra cost was worth it?  (Note: not the Dom Perignon Experience).  TIA!

I'm not much of a drinker. So I ask them to go light on the wine. Similar to a wine tasting(without spitting it out LOL!) Two sips works for me. Otherwise it would fill me up. Some said avoid the bread rolls. Just do one & call it a day. The food, most especially in the "Le Bourgeoisie" was our fav.(Odyssey & Dom Perignon) are the other 2. We much preferred the Bourgeoisie over Odyssey. Haven't tried the "Dom", as I can't stand Champagne.

We've done La Reserve twice, and intend to do it on our next cruise, as well.  We found the food wonderful (and fairly small portions when we did it -- maybe it's changed) and the wine was as described above --- good, not wow. The group we were in the first time really made it for us -- they mixed us up and didn't seat us in couples, so there was much more mingling.  The second time, we were allowed to seat ourselves and the groups seemed to self-isolate.  The people we were with the first time just plain had fun and we dined with several of them later on the cruise. Hope this helps some.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Can one book La Reserve online.  I've tried searching to no avail.

Under "Manage Bookings" look for the "Dining" tab.  You should see La Reserve under that -- second one down on my screen.  One thing to know -- this is only on "O" class ships.  "R" class ships don't have La Reserve.

11 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

Under "Manage Bookings" look for the "Dining" tab.  You should see La Reserve under that -- second one down on my screen.  One thing to know -- this is only on "O" class ships.  "R" class ships don't have La Reserve.

Whew.  Thanks to you I found it.  Unfortunately La Reserve wasn't available but will check when we get there.

12 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

One thing to know -- this is only on "O" class ships.  "R" class ships don't have La Reserve.

+1

Also, the venue is not open every night of the Cruise.  They are trying to keep it "unique and Special", and so it is ....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StanandJim said:

+1

Also, the venue is not open every night of the Cruise.  They are trying to keep it "unique and Special", and so it is ....

Thanks for that also.  Not a deal breaker but the sample menus look awfully good.