What internet plan do I need for music streaming?

AmR87

Hi All!

I am cruising on Thursday (YAY!) and I have the 100 free minutes.  I want to upgrade to unlimited wifi in order check on my 2 year old more often and to stream music while I am sitting by the pool drinking my drinks. 🙂  

Do I need to pay for the 30 dollar unlimited wifi or the 60 dollar premium wifi plan?  Streaming music isn't listed on either option.  I wasn't sure if I had to go to the premium plan in order to stream music.  I don't really need it to stream netflix/videos, so if I can save the 30 bucks that would be nice!

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by AmR87

Ditto - that alone is worth all the money of the monthly subscription price! I make so many playlists (premade and my own) available offline and listen (quietly!) on my balcony or when getting ready for dinner. 

Totally recommend this approach instead of paying for the (outrageously priced) internet on the ship. 

If you don't have Spotify premium, usually they'll give you a free month trial. Maybe just sign up for the one month, and cancel if you don't like the services after the monthly trial (or even just pay the $9.99 for the one month - still ends up cheaper than the cruise internet!).

44 minutes ago, NikkiDee-Canada said:

If you subscribe to Spotify, you can download your playlists before you leave on your trip. This is what we do, so we can play music (quietly) in our room. 🙂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

You better be wearing headphones. It is the height of rudeness to make the unilateral decision that people around you have to listen to YOUR music. 

Really? "You better be wearing headphones." Where in the original post did it say they were going to be playing their music out of their device? Why the need to scold them before knowing the facts? You might as well tell everyone to use sign language because its the height of rudeness to make the unilateral decision that people around you have to listen to other cruisers conversation...

• Like 7

I’ll add another voice to those who have suggested saving your money and to download enough to get you through.  I have typically found the internet to be frustrating slow to load webpages, sports scores, etc.  Any kind of streaming I suspect would be a huge frustration more than a pleasure, especially if that was your main reason to pay for the upgraded internet plan.

A suggestion if you do want to go ahead is to try it using your 100 mins first, then purchase only if it works. 

I took the free wifi perk on my trip last month.  I downloaded some playlists prior to the trip, but decided I also wanted a white noise/rain sound.  I attempted to download it while on wifi, but it would not work.  Most of my apps worked (slow but functional) on ship wifi.  But Amazon Music was quite adamant that I was not connected to the internet and would not even permit a search.  I would not assume that your streaming service will work.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, n8botting said:

Really? "You better be wearing headphones." Where in the original post did it say they were going to be playing their music out of their device? Why the need to scold them before knowing the facts? You might as well tell everyone to use sign language because its the height of rudeness to make the unilateral decision that people around you have to listen to other cruisers conversation...

Yes, really. 

And keeping your voice down in public spaces is a good idea. 

Edited by PortFees45

Yikes!  

Thanks to those of you who were kind and helpful in your responses.  

Yes, I wear headphones and no, I never once insinuated I was playing music for others?  I simply asked if the 'cheaper' wifi would allow me to stream music. 

Thanks for everyone's time.  I appreciate it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, n8botting said:

I appreciate your support towards my original post.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AmR87 said:

Yikes!  

Thanks to those of you who were kind and helpful in your responses.  

Yes, I wear headphones and no, I never once insinuated I was playing music for others?  I simply asked if the 'cheaper' wifi would allow me to stream music. 

Thanks for everyone's time.  I appreciate it. 

Thank you for wearing your headphones. 

To specifically answer your question, you would need the Premium Unlimited plan to stream. However, it allows you to access streaming services. Since you are sharing an internet connection with 2000 of your new Friends, crew, and ship’s operations, you may get a lot of buffering and a spurt of music ever few seconds. 

On 11/5/2019 at 8:45 PM, sweetgregoryps said:

I could possibly offend someone,,,, if I start to sing with headphones on,, feel free to give me a smack on the head 😂😂😂😂🤔🤔🤔

Oh, lordy.  I was at a customer site once listening to Rod Stewart with headphones and burst out singing one of his songs.  I was horribly embarassed.