Anthem of the Seas Review with Pics 9-night New England Cruise Oct 2019

CupKayke

14 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Well, Brookhaven is the largest of NY's 932 towns and the only town on Long Island that stretches from the North Shore to South Shore. Maybe that makes it map-worthy?

My perhaps incorrect assumption was that the NAV map was referring to the hamlet of Brookhaven, not the overall area/town, which is made up of a lot more noteworthy villages/hamlets

Sea Day continued…

We walked around some more…

DSCF6094_zpsa0y1r7mz.jpg

We found the Deck 5 smoking area – starboard side, mid-ship (closer to the aft area).  It was much more windy and cool on the starboard side of the ship today.  Deck 5 smoking area is in an odd area it seems.  It is definitely hidden and I'm not sure there is a bar nearby?  It is all glassed-in but yet it felt much colder than Deck 14’s smoking area.  The furniture is much more comfortable here, however.

DSCF6101_zpsbgkafcvh.jpg

“We” took a nap in the late afternoon.   My husband snored while I sat-up in bed and emailed my parents.  We had the balcony door open.  It was 59 degrees, a slight wind, and sunset was upon us.  It was glorious.

We decided to see the 9pm movie poolside – Yesterday.  It was such a sweet and feel-good movie!!  We loved it!!  My husband walked over to the area where you get towels for the pool and they were offering warm blankets.  Oh it was lovely!!  I bundled-up and enjoyed every moment of the movie.  Hubby walked over to Johnny Rockets and got some hot cheese fries during the movie which made it even better.  They had popcorn at the movie last night but not tonight. 

DSCF6116_zpsmq4a7uko.jpg

All bundled-up… (notice the guy behind me wore shorts the entire time HA!)

DSCF6118_zpssmagldhv.jpg

Eventually, the deck was full of those enjoying the movie

DSCF6117_zpsx0isv8zz.jpg

Today was a good day at sea

Edited by CupKayke

Saturday, October 26 - Boston

The ship docked in Boston just after 5am this morning while it was still dark outside. Our TV said 52 degrees with 94% humidity. It was so foggy we could barely see the lights of Boston directly in front of us.  However, by the time we were ready to go exploring, which was around 9am, it was a clear and sunny autumn Saturday in Boston.  

Note:  we had NO pre-booked shore excursions for this cruise with RC.  My husband doesn’t like being “stuck” on a bus or somewhere for 3 or 4 or more hours and I figured we could find things to book at each port.  For the record, with this cruise, I was a bit wrong. 

We walked off and Boston is very welcoming.  The police – the actual Boston police – that were on duty helping with this ship’s debarkation (not the rude Alliance Security) were incredibly nice.   There is a desk setup outside the exit which says “Shuttle to Quincy Market”  for $12 one way or $20 roundtrip.  An Uber (for 2) showed $13 so we thought we’d Uber.  I couldn’t get a signal.  It was like there was something in the port area blocking all the signals.  So, we walked over to the shuttle desk and the non-RC shuttle rep says she isn’t for sure where the shuttle drops you off but it’s “about 5 minutes walk” from Quincy Market.  Ummm…. Okay??  We asked if she had a map and she directed us to go back into the terminal we had just left and ask for a map and that’s when we ran into the Boston Police officer who nicely told us there was someone from the shuttle sending everyone back into the terminal for Boston maps but once you leave that terminal, you are not allowed back in that way without going through a completely different security point.  He got us a map, apologized profusely, and sent us on our way.  I noticed he had to do the same thing to the young man behind us.   So, the shuttle people didn’t know what they were doing and I had no phone signal.  What a mess. 

DSCF6121_zpsfh4hcw2v.jpg

We walked to the end of the terminal/port area and crossed the street and I finally got a signal.  I ordered an Uber and this time the fee was $16.  We got a crappy driver that charged us an additional $1.46 due to the congestion in the area which I’m not sure how they can do that because frankly, at this point, there was no congestion.   I did not tip.  We got to Quincy Market quickly.  

DSCF6122_zpsmwktyigb.jpg

Lesson #1 about Boston – have something pre-arranged to do for the day

Lesson #2 about Boston – if you aren’t going to do something pre-arranged then take the stupid shuttle because the lady was wrong about the 5-minute “unknown” walk to Quincy Market.  There were 3 ships in town today and they were dropping off hoards of passengers directly in front of the market all day long.  There is a special stop just for buses to load and unload. 

Lesson #3 about Boston – don’t eat breakfast.  Let me say that again.  Don’t eat breakfast.  Quincy Market is 90% aromas and food and we regretted eating breakfast because this meant we did not try the Boston Chowda or the lobsters people were eating or any of the yumminess going on around us inside the market.  We walked all through the Quincy Market on the inside and then through the shops on the outside.  Inside the market are so many eateries and great places I can’t even begin to list them.  There is also a Hard Rock Café, Sephora store, Dunkin’ Donuts, Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Store, a Boston Christmas store, etc all next to the Quincy Market (outside).  We walked up to 28th street.  We sat on the park and watched the other strollers.  It was such a beautiful day.   At one point, I’m not kidding you, you could have filmed a scene from You’ve Got Mail right here and it would have fit in (I realize it’s the wrong city).  There were yellow leaves slowly winding their way off the trees and onto the brick streets.  It was a sight to see.

DSCF6125_zps9x0m0one.jpg
We found the Cheers bar.  He had an IPA and I had a fall Sangria.  It was strong.  I probably should have went with the Carmel Apple Cider but I saw it too late.

DSCF6127_zpsrd657pvf.jpg

There was a pet costume parade at noon.  Owners dressed-up to match or compliment their dogs.  There were over 60 dogs, 3 cats, and even a guinea pig.  It was so cute and so much fun.  We lined the outside of the restaurants and shops and watch them parade through.  This is a “corn dog” LOL

DSCF6149_zpsyijlonmn.jpg

Our Uber ride back to the port was somehow quicker, we didn’t go through a tunnel, and we were not overcharged.   It was $9.81.  I tipped, as usual. 

When we were coming back through security to get on the ship, Alliance Security, the company apparently the port or RC hires to check you before you are allowed back on - two female employees were yelling - loudly - at some older passengers.  When they first did it, we all jump and we were startled because it was so loud and sharp... and then they just kept yelling.  It was terrible.  I did complain about this on my mid-ship questionnaire.  I felt terrible for the people they were yelling at directly at first but I felt mad as they just kept yelling and eventually they were yelling at all of us coming back on the boat.  They were screaming "FORM ANOTHER LINE! FORM ANOTHER LINE!" instead of nicely saying something like...  "Hey, we have another security scanner opener down here you can use."  One really tall girl kinda laughed a little when one of the older ladies got startled.  It was harassment. 

Edited by CupKayke

Boston Day continued..

We came back to the ship and set out on Deck 14 enjoying the warm sun while talking for about an hour.   I found a nice lounger in the covered pool area (where it is warmer) and watched the planes landing at Boston Logan Airport.  I may have dozed off a minute or two in that warm sun and comfy lounger. 

DSCF6155_zps0z79zzv1.jpg

We decided to checkout Bumper Cars tonight.  Today was the first day we noticed them listed in the Cruise Compass and they were only available from 5:30pm to 7:30pm and you had to dig through all pages of your Cruise Compass to find out what time they would specifically be available.  It was listed in small print on the back page of 6 pages (the Cruise Compass badly needs reworked).  Bumper Cars are FANTASTIC!!  They should be available sooooooooo much more often than RC has them on the schedule!!!!  Are you paying attention RC?! PEOPLE LOVE THE BUMPER CARS!!!   We had about a 15 minute wait to ride this afternoon and then we got back in line (it was very short) and we only had about a 10 minute wait to ride so we rode twice and it was wonderful! 

DSCF6173_zpsdwrbnnjb.jpg

My husband loved the Bumper Cars too…

DSCF6177_zpskwe5qtx1.jpg

We walked around the ship tonight as we were in Boston until late tonight (past 8pm).  Note:  this is what I wore to dinner.  I was fine.  On this cruise you did see more dressy attire by some patrons but jeans every night were fine.  So were sandals I noticed (which I did not do but I don't care what you wear as long as you are clean).  This cruise was odd also because you may be freezing or you may be sweaty, it depends on where on the ship you are or what you are doing.  The weather was between 40s to almost 70 one day so it was definitely an autumn cruise.  

DSCF6179_zpsq79smk6w.jpg

Better pic of the lights of Boston…

DSCF6184_zps5k5o9wts.jpg

We headed to the dining room around 7:15pm tonight and the line was shorter for anytime dining tonight.  Yes, we had a reservation because I had made reservations every night on the RC app once we got on the ship but reservations on this cruise for anything after 7pm were not needed.  The dinner was long but okay and the menu was surprisingly almost the same as prior.

DSCF6188_zpsuoozrdxw.jpg

Food was better tonight than prior and service was a teeny bit faster but still too slow.  You don’t need 45 minutes to digest a salad before your steak arrives.  Hubby loved the escargot.  We think RC needs to add some more variety to their dining room menus because HAL and CCL are killing them when it comes to main dining room menus.  Same mains, same appetizers, same desserts every night with maybe one change each was surprising to see. 

DSCF6189_zpswkv3sxow.jpg

We sat out on the deck for a long while after dinner because it was so nice outside. 

Today was a good day.  Tomorrow… Portland, Maine.

Edited by CupKayke

We were also on this cruise as well as the one just before to Bermuda.   A beautiful ship. As for lunch boarding day try Cafe 270.  Kummelwack sandwich!  Solarium bistro should also have been open.  In Windjammer did you head all the way back?  Just before heading outside there is the Gluten free section with great crepes (don't need gluten free but crepes are fantastic).

21 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

As for lunch boarding day try Cafe 270.  Kummelwack sandwich!  Solarium bistro should also have been open.

Ok I was going to ask about this. I definitely don’t want to wait 40 minutes to eat at the buffet, I was planning on heading straight for the solarium. Are Sorrento’s and Cafe Promenade also open for embarkation lunch?

• Like 1

Just now, tomservo said:

Ok I was going to ask about this. I definitely don’t want to wait 40 minutes to eat at the buffet, I was planning on heading straight for the solarium. Are Sorrento’s and Cafe Promenade also open for embarkation lunch?

Yes to Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade.  Dh says I was wrong about Solarium Bistro.  I'll check Cruise Compasses when I find them and get back to you.  Got home today so not much unpacked. 

• Thanks 1

Before I post about Portland, I want to take a moment and recognize some really great RC staffers…

-       Sang, our room steward.  He is from Indonesia.   He was always pleasant.  We liked him so much.  He would sneak in our room at the oddest times and make the bed or clean, even when we figured he was done for the day.  I have never posted this on CC before because I don’t know if they are supposed to report it to the cruiselines or not but we have always quietly handed our room stewards $100 cash.  Sang was nowhere to be found on the last evening or the last morning.  We finally left our room and walked off the ship and I feel bad that we didn’t give him a little extra like we normally do our room stewards.

-       All the Windjammer dining room attendants.  Would you like orange juice at breakfast?  Can I get you something to drink? They brought around glasses of beverages and slices of cake sometimes.  They were plentiful and they were nice and it was great.  I felt like I was waited on when I was at the Windjammer and I’ve never felt that way at a buffet before.  If I asked for iced tea, even at breakfast, they found a way to make it for me.  Some people need coffee to feel alive and I require unsweet iced tea every morning.  I usually drink a full glass before 6:30am every morning.  On this cruise, I found if I asked nicely, they never said no.  I greatly appreciated this small gesture.   Also, the bartender in the Windjammer (a smiley black guy, I do not know his name) was always willing to hand me a bottled water anytime I asked.  (I had the beverage package)

-       Iketut in the dining room.  This young man worked tirelessly and was always trying to do his very best to make a good impression on everyone.  He dropped something one night and he was trying to hide it but you could tell he was upset with himself.  RC… if this employee is new, please be patient with him.  He will come around in quick time.  Alfredo, by the way, was the dining room manager in our area of the American Icon dining room and he was nice, he kept everyone on their toes, and he floated around the tables asking if we needed anything or if he could help in any way.

-       The washy-washy girl from the Philippines who stood outside the Windjammer every day.  Loved her.  She is sweet.  She has the perfect demeanor to tell people to wash their hands before they eat.  She also likes cooler weather like myself.  She was engaging with guests and I really think you couldn’t have a better person working in this area.

-       The young man from Peru who works in the RC gift shop.  He is nice, polite, and does a great job.  He dealt with a difficult customer with a smile and acted like nothing happened.  He was engaging.  We briefly discussed Peru.  He was backed-up with people waiting to checkout and he just flew through each person one by one and never blinked an eye or stopped smiling.

In general, all over the ship, I would say 98% of the Royal Caribbean employees were nice and helpful and pleasant to be around.  The bartenders did not short us or grimace because we had beverage packages.  I had the regular beverage package and never got my “money’s worth” of soda or bottled water because I like unsweet iced tea but I enjoyed having a smoothie now and then or getting a Dr Pepper from the cool machines (Dr Pepper is only available in those machines through the beverage package – there is no other Dr Pepper available anywhere on the ship, FYI).  I got my package for $20/day.  My husband had the unlimited premium alcohol package (~$48/day I think?) and he got more than his money’s worth.  He never had a bartender tell him no when he requested Tito’s vodka nor did he get any clapback if he was getting a drink every half hour which I’m sure he did some nights.  The only time he ran into anything was day one when one of the bartenders told him he wouldn’t give him a double because I was there too and I didn’t have the alcohol package so I might want some of his alcohol?  That was super strange and never happened again.  I am not saying I don’t drink.  I didn’t drink a drop of alcohol on the ship and haven’t really drank regularly (like a couple of glasses of wine a week) in years… maybe some wine or champagne or a single drink here or there is all I ever drink these days so I am glad RC offers us to purchase two separate packages.  Frankly, I didn’t even want the beverage package at all but they did require that I have a basic beverage package if he was getting the premium alcohol package. 

Anyway, long story short, the service by RC was top notch and for me, that creates an overall excellent feel on the cruise and makes me a little more willing to spend the extra few dollars for an RC cruise in the future. This is the one area where RC is light years ahead of Carnival.  It was the same way 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

We were also on this cruise as well as the one just before to Bermuda.   A beautiful ship. As for lunch boarding day try Cafe 270.  Kummelwack sandwich!  Solarium bistro should also have been open.  In Windjammer did you head all the way back?  Just before heading outside there is the Gluten free section with great crepes (don't need gluten free but crepes are fantastic).

We were directed to the Windjammer by the RC staff and this ship was new to us so we didn't know about Café 270.  We walked in the left side and all the way back around and did not find two empty seats until we hit the right side past the back beverage area!  It was packed.  We grabbed a table as two people were getting up which is the only way we could find a table.

The lady in line in front of us actually left her husband and walked all the way back to the Solarium to see if it was open and came back and said it was not.  During this time, we moved from behind the elevators to the middle of one of the elevators.  It was a giant mess on day one.

Sorry for your experience.   Since we were doing a b2b we had lunch that day in the dining room.  When we boarded for the Bermuda cruise we went to Cafe 270.  Had sailed Anthem in 2018 and Quantum in 2015 so did have an idea where to go.

My Cruise Compass from Day 1 says...

Windjammer

Café two70

Solarium

Coastal Kitchen

….were all open at 11am.   I assure you the lady in front of me said the Solarium was closed so I don't know??

Chops Grille is open at 11:30am on Day 1 per the Cruise Compass ($$)

Café Promenade is open 24/7 (I was never a fan of their offerings)

Brass & Bock is open at 10am ($)

Sorrentos opens at 11am

Johnny Rockets opens at 11am ($)

Seaplex Doghouse opens at 11am

Had I known what the Windjammer would be like and had read a review like mine previously, I would have picked one of the alternative options for our first day lunch -  probably Seaplex or Johnny Rockets.... especially since I just saw that my Cruise Compass from Day 1 shows Bumper Cars were available from 11:30am to 2:30pm that day and they are located in the Seaplex.  They were only available 3 days of our 9 day cruise.   

Edited by CupKayke

7 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Sorry for your experience.   Since we were doing a b2b we had lunch that day in the dining room.  When we boarded for the Bermuda cruise we went to Cafe 270.  Had sailed Anthem in 2018 and Quantum in 2015 so did have an idea where to go.

If we sail on a larger ship again (I want to do Oasis of the Seas) then I will definitely do something different on day one.  We were in the dark for this cruise.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by CupKayke

Oct 27 – Portland, Maine

DSCF6193_zpsndjnlagl.jpg

Welcome to beautiful Maine!

DSCF6191_zpshyuuox5s.jpg

The Maine coastline is perfect this time of year. It was also 41 degrees and the forecast was calling for rain all day and it was already sprinkling.

We were off the boat by 9:30am because we had a little fun planned today. I found a private company called Lucky Catch Cruises that offers you the chance to ride in a small lobstering boat out to the Casco Bay and help pull the lobster traps.  It’s only $30 per person and they only allow 14 people max on the boat (including the crew).  It’s mainly a small tourist attraction however, this family-run business does pull their traps every day and they sell their lobsters to the Portland Lobster Company, a local lobster restaurant on the wharf.  They also offer seal-watching tours, etc.  The reservation said rain or shine so off we went… in what was now rain… but we had brought ponchos and our umbrellas for this cruise which we quickly donned. We walked about a half mile in the rain and did not let the weather dampen our spirits. Finally, we found the area where Lucky Catch Cruises office was located and about that time I turned-on my cell phone only to have a voicemail saying due to a weather advisory, they were forced to cancel our excursion and we would be refunded.  Soon, all the boats in the bay were stopped and the cruises you can buy to take out and see this or that were all cancelled. The rain was getting a bit stronger and so was the wind on the water.  Oh Well.  Safety First.

DSCF6198_zpsjk8slpvv.jpg

We easily found the boat we would have taken.. you simply walk off the boat and walk to your left.  There is nothing to your right so everyone walks to the left.  Walk past the big brick parking garage and you are now looking at several lobster restaurants, shops, a Hilton, a bar, DeMillo’s on the water (look it up if you don’t know), Portland Lobster Company, Starbucks, etc.  There are some quaint shops that offer some adorable souvenirs and novelty items for decent prices.  We purchased some blueberry honey, some Moose Smooch lip balms (blueberry and coconut) made in Maine, saltwater taffy, lots of souvenirs & gifts, etc.

We walked around this area and shopped until about 10:30am when we got in line for the Portland Lobster Company.  They open at 11am and had a line waiting for them before they open if that tells you anything.  I had read about them on Trip Advisor but there was a frequent RC cruiser (I believe she said this was her 32nd cruise with RC) in line who told us she only comes to this lobster restaurant in Portland.  They were closing for the season the next day so we got lucky getting to eat here.

DSCF6208_zpsaudaotgq.jpg

We ordered a market price 1 1/8 lobster meal (it was $19.99 today), a market price scallop meal ($19.99 today), a blueberry draft beer (it was fantastic), a cup of clam chowder (it was good but a bit milky/thin – but still soooooo good!), and a slice of blueberry pie (eat the blueberries not the crust).   I also bought my dad a Portland Lobster Company hat. 

You get a lobster that lights-up when your food is ready to eat and the tables around us were cheering when their lobsters lit-up.  Ha

DSCF6205_zpsicag9re0.jpg

Inside seating is limited to maybe ten people max?  They have an outdoor bar and a heated, outdoor rain tent which kept us completely dry and we were happy with that.  

We loved the food.  We stuffed ourselves and even dipped the fries into the clam chowder even though we couldn’t finish the scallops, the fries, or the chowder.  Neither of us even touched our coleslaw.  I heard someone exclaim even the corn was good.  The only thing I didn’t like is the scallops were fried in a batter! What in the world??  I scraped it off and then popped the scallop in my mouth.

DSCF6206_zpsdmqsbuuk.jpg

My husband’s (joking) look after eating…

DSCF6209_zpsiryfud3e.jpg

Edited by CupKayke

1 hour ago, CupKayke said:

I enjoyed having a smoothie now and then

Great review! I’ll be on in a few weeks. I have the refreshment package as well. What did you like best about it? Any drinks you would recommend? Also where did you get smoothies? Thanks!

• Like 1

Portland, Maine continued…

We shopped some more after our big meal and slowly meandered our way back to the ship.  It was absolutely pouring rain at this point and we were soaked from our shoes to our knees.  And now I will back-up a bit and complain (I told you I wasn’t going to gloss anything over).  This is what the port looks like…  you walk off the ship and you walk over a covered bridge down to the blue-grey building and then you walk down a long semi-covered walkway to the white tent-looking building… this area is the end of the port/terminal.  From here, you walk out the gates.   Can you see from this pic?

DSCF6214_zpsakypzchr.jpg

So, we did not need our IDs to get back on the ship in Boston.  We simply needed our SeaPass cards.  For Portland, we had our SeaPass cards in our pockets and as we were trudging to get back to the boat when at the white tent, the lone Alias or Alliance Security (whatever they are called) guy stops us and tells us he must see our IDs.  He was in the ONE area of this entire walking trip to get back to the ship that had NO COVERAGE so we were standing – along with many other people – in the pouring rain – and he demanded ID.  We had to walk back to the white terminal building, open our bags, get out our IDs and then go back to Mr Arshole standing at the entrance and show him ID that matched our SeaPass. He was flat-out rude about the entire situation.  When we got back on the ship, I stopped a ship security guide and told him.  He said “yeah” and I replied “We didn’t have to show ID in Boston” and he says “Well, it is up to him” and then I pointed-out that it was pouring rain where this guy was standing and he was holding-up people in the pouring rain.  The RC security guy could have cared less.  He said nothing in response.  For the record, I’m fully aware we have almost always had to have ID to get back on a ship but we didn’t have to show it in Boston and it’s not like these ports are in Turkey or Greece.  Geez Louise.

It continued to rain the rest of the day as we were leaving Portland and then I saw a lobster jump out of the water while I was on our balcony..

DSCF6220_zpseduqit1r.jpg

If you believe that, you are a sucker.. just like the lobster…

DSCF6217_zps0wd53mmf.jpg

I can only imagine how beautiful Portland would have been had the rain stopped.

DSCF6228_zpsmdnpu5zc.jpg

Btw, my husband wants me to point-out that the TVs in the rooms are fantastic.  We watched the entire World Series from our room and we were very thankful RC offered this to us.  It was on ESPN live which has good, non-biased announcers and it was great to be able to keep-up every night as I love baseball.

DSCF6237_zpsgyrd8piw.jpg

Tomorrow, we are in my favorite port… the surprise gem… Bar Harbor, Maine

I think I may quit writing tonight.  I have an appointment out of town tomorrow.  I am trying to get this finished by tomorrow night (in between laundry and paying bills and making dinner) because I am probably going back to 60-65 hour weeks next week and my 13+ hour days may start again on Thursday so I won’t have time to finish this if I don’t do it now.  I do hope my review is helpful and somewhat entertaining if nothing else.  

Edited by CupKayke
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Great review! I’ll be on in a few weeks. I have the refreshment package as well. What did you like best about it? Any drinks you would recommend? Also where did you get smoothies? Thanks!

Thank you!  I liked the refreshment package and would do it again.  I liked the cup where you could get your own drinks anytime you wanted them at four different locations - two red machines inside Sorrento's Pizza and one machine on each side of the Windjammer (silver machines).  I got Dr Pepper from this machine.  I tried the cream soda (it was terrible).  I did Coke one time just because they were completely out of Dr Pepper in the Windjammer.   They have a lot of options.... lemonade, Coke, Sprite, etc. 

Our cups:

DSCF6696_zpsnkjpqhb1.jpg

The machines:

DSCF6080_zpsnfobszai.jpg

I liked the free bottled water at any time - getting off the ship (when they were selling it to others), at dinner, from any bar, etc.  They would even write down my room number when I was leaving the ship... but in the end,  I was never charged because all bottled water is included.  It was a good perk.  

I loved the mango smoothies.   You can get them at any bar.  I got one at the bar by the hamster wheel (I think it's the Sky Bar?) and the Pool bar and I got one (although begrudgingly at first) from the Two70 bar.  At the Two70 bar, the guy next to me ordered a Strawberry Daquiri with Mango and two shots of rum so I ordered a Strawberry Daquiri with Mango no rum.  We both loved our drinks even though the waitress/bar attendant was rude to us at first, she even came back later and gave me a second one.  You can apparently get "smoothies" anywhere - they are just the fruity drinks without alcohol.  They are delicious.  The mango smoothie is my favorite because it's not sweet at all.  It is frozen mango blended-up.  

• Thanks 1

I too wonder what Portland looks like when its not POURING rain. We've been there three times, and all times the same. its a BEAUTIFUL city...I just wish we could see it in the sun for a change. Great review!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CupKayke said:

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone  🙂

I'm going to try to see if I can finish this review his tonight???  

This is a really good review. Enjoying the pictures. I was on this sailing. There is also a drink machine in the Doghouse at the back of the Seaplex. 

• Like 1

Beautiful Bar Harbor – October 28

Bar Harbor was a surprise gem of this trip.  Pre-trip I had read “you can’t miss Acadia National Park” blah blah.  I was not interested in going to see a park.  Well, I don’t mind that we missed Acadia National Park necessarily, but I am SO glad we did not miss this port.  It was breathtaking views from the minute our ship anchored (this was a tender port).   One of the tender boats…

DSCF6251_zpssy4z41po.jpg

Where we were anchored... we were hidden from the shore, we were sort of around a cove.  I took this from the tender boat upon return. 

DSCF6329_zpsjjotfctt.jpg

At the beginning of the day, it was beautiful but there was a very thick fog still fairly low. Later in the day, the fog lifted to the top of the mountains.  Which reminds me... the only Royal Caribbean excursion I was interested in this trip was the Cadillac Mountain excursion. I believe it’s a 45 min drive to the top, beautiful views of all of Bar Harbor and a nice place to get out and take photos, then a 45 min drive to the bottom.  I tried to talk my husband into this excursion a couple of times but he was resistant.  I should have just booked it.  We talked to two separate men who took this excursion and told us it was amazing.  They got to the top of Cadillac Mountain and it was too foggy to see everything so they went down a little further and got fantastic views.  

DSCF6260_zpsxhptchat.jpg

So just a little bit about the situation in Bar Harbor today on RC’s part.  They came over the announcement speakers and said the ocean was okay where we anchored but as you got into the harbor more, it was much more rough closer to the shore so they had to anchor farther away than normal.   Having said that, they said it was taking longer to get the tender boats back and forth so there would be a wait to get on a tender and get off the ship today.  They announced this but we still got off the boat fairly quickly because not even 30 min later they announced they had tender boats ready to load and for everyone to proceed to the gangway.   It was a quick ride.  Returning is an entirely different story but we'll save that for another post.  

DSCF6262_zpsppfdam7m.jpg

The Bar Harbor Inn.  In front of this Inn is a beautiful path you can walk from the dock all the way in front of the Inn and continue on around and walk in front of some beautiful mega mansions.  The scenery and the path is what this cruise was all about.  There are benches and places to sit along the way.   Do be careful as even with the high wall, the waves were crashing and we both got sprayed or nearly got sprayed several times while walking this path.   One of the hotels we walked by had this steaming hot pool as we walked by…  I wanted to go jump in! It looked fantastic.  I seriously think we will go back to Bar Harbor next year and stay here on a land trip.

DSCF6285_zpsk32uus8f.jpg

I will continue with the next post…  

DSCF6287_zps5pedl3pr.jpg

• Like 1