Princess Platinum Protection Package

WhereIBelong

I searched through these boards (although I admit that I'm not very good at that) and haven't seen this question raised.  My wife and I are scheduled on a Princess Cruise and we both purchased the protection package because I have had a number of health issues in the past couple years.  My elderly mother has fallen and is in rehab.  It looks like we're going to have to place her in assisted living.  I am her primary caregiver.  Would the protection package cover something like this?  Has anyone ever been in this situation before?  We aren't necessarily looking for a refund.  We'd be just as happy with a credit on a future cruise.  

Thanks in advance for your assist. 

11 minutes ago, WhereIBelong said:

I searched through these boards (although I admit that I'm not very good at that) and haven't seen this question raised.  My wife and I are scheduled on a Princess Cruise and we both purchased the protection package because I have had a number of health issues in the past couple years.  My elderly mother has fallen and is in rehab.  It looks like we're going to have to place her in assisted living.  I am her primary caregiver.  Would the protection package cover something like this?  Has anyone ever been in this situation before?  We aren't necessarily looking for a refund.  We'd be just as happy with a credit on a future cruise.  

I book the Princess Protection plan just for that reason. The last few years we traveled with my mother as my wife and I were her primary caregivers. The Platinum plan allows you to cancel for any reason and you receive cruise credits instead of a cash refund. Mom has passed, but I still book the same insurance as we now have my MIL and grandkids to worry about.

32 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

I book the Princess Protection plan just for that reason. The last few years we traveled with my mother as my wife and I were her primary caregivers. The Platinum plan allows you to cancel for any reason and you receive cruise credits instead of a cash refund. Mom has passed, but I still book the same insurance as we now have my MIL and grandkids to worry about.

Exactly right, the CFAR clause is great and is AFAIK, the only one in the business (cruise line or third party) that gives 100% credit. Pretty much everyone else is 75% which can mean a lot of money for a longer cruise. One small detail to keep in mind is that the 100% credit, I believe, is time-limited, so if you do cancel for any reason, you can't use the credit years from now. We haven't been able to buy the CFAR insurance for our last few trips as it's no longer available to us, but I think the time limit is 2 years(?)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, voljeep said:

wait ... what ? - why not ??? is that a Canada thing ?

No, it's not a Canada thing, it's specific to the Democratic People's Republic of Quebec. AFAIK it's still available in all other provinces but stopped being available here about 2 years ago (we'd ALWAYS bought for each trip before that). This province has some very restrictive rules re insurance of all kinds, and many policies available to the US and the rest of Canada, such as the Princess package,  cannot be sold here. The only option we currently have are third party products offering the usual 75% credit. We'll be moving back to Canada next year, and from that point on, Princess's CFAR insurance will once again be part of every trip we take. With a 94 year old father in frail health, it's great peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure of all of the coverage in the Princess insurance, but several years ago I read that it does not cover many important items. I get cruise insurance through a reputable national company with additional coverage for things like:

·        Accident & Medical Expenses

·        Accidental Death/Dismemberment

·        Baggage

·        Cancel for Business reasons

·        Emergency evacuation and Repatriation of remains

·        Trip Cancellation

·        Trip Delay

·        Flight Guard insurance

These are only some of the most important coverages but there are many more.

It is rare but if you are gravely injured and you need to be transported home expect sky high prices.

9 hours ago, WhereIBelong said:

As long as you have the platinum protection it will be %100 covered less the cost of the insurance.  You will have to make a claim with AON who will then say yes for a full refund For a covered event or no you have to get a cruise credit directly from Princess.  If a cruise credit you have, I think, 2 years to book another cruise.

My friend canceled recently because of a non covered reason and got the credit pretty quickly.  Their TA took care of the paperwork for them as well.

Check out Allianz

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/planning/how-travel-insurance-works.htm

" If you’re planning several trips in the next 12 months, consider annual travel insurance — like the AllTrips Prime Plan. It gives you affordable protection for a full year of travel, including benefits for trip cancellation and interruption; emergency medical care; lost/stolen or delayed baggage; and the Rental Car Damage Protector (available to residents of most states).  "

Check it out

Howard