Le Champlain denied entry in Puerto Morelos

garykool81

Just heard from my TA.

Ponant is still claiming that PM is the port. So, I have no choice but to pay final deposit. But, Iceland is on ice.

I had asked if I could cancel and transfer the deposit if the port is changed. The answer is no.

According to my TA...

"Ponant did say that guests will be given pick up points and transferred to any new port that will be announced in the event of a change."

• Like 1

Got my e-docs today.  My TA also talked with Ponant and Puerto Morelos has been the home port since the original incident according to Ponant.  I had other questions, decided to go directly over the transom and spoke with a customer service rep.  She confirmed PM as the start port.  The transfer offer in the event of a port change is acceptable to me and IMO the least Ponant can do.  Though Mexican intransigence and possibly greed is not Ponant's fault, the responsibility to do right by their passengers is theirs.

Hi Gary - my husband and I were also on the Boston-Puerto Morelos (Cozumel) Ocean Voyage and I agree with your assessment that Ponant did a great job getting us off the ship in Cozumel and to our destination on the mainland. It was remarkable what they were able to pull off with such short notice. We were not inconvenienced at all and sort of enjoyed the extra "drama" of it all. You had the German telling the older gentleman from DC to STFU, I had an English chap doing the same!

This was our third Ocean Voyage (first was Fort de France to Lisbon on Le Boreal and second was last April on Le Champlain Cayenne to Lisbon) and we also thought that things were a bit off. On our other Ocean Voyages, service and food were top notch. Now, on our the first one we had 83 passengers and on our second there were only 43 of us, so that might have played into the better service. You are spot on regarding the food - some hits, some misses and some WTFs, but it didn't make our voyage any less enjoyable. Like you we enjoy the lazy sea days. Give that we had two referrals ($600 each) and $500 ship board credit, it almost seemed cheaper than staying at home! You get free laundry with your second cruise, so book soon!

We're booked on Ponant again in March 2020 - Montevideo to Praia, Cape Verde. Should be an interesting voyage.

Perry

• Like 2

Here's a cc from my TA. ..

"From: Olga Sebestova <osebestova@cruisestrategies.com>

Sent: November 25, 2019 12:27 PM
Subject: RE: Ponant Le Champlain and Puerto Morelos

Hi Patrick,

I have been advised by our New York office that the ship is still scheduled to dock at Puerto Morelos in January. They advised that as soon as they hear otherwise, they would be in touch with you. They had to change for a couple of November departures but other than that, have not had any other further changes.

They are reaching out to the head office in France to make sure there is nothing else in the works. Will let you know if I hear anything else.

Olga"

Would appreciate it if the December passengers can confirm this.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, mediaprohi said:

Check out my post from earlier today.  It gives both the response from my TA and Ponant when I called them direct.

Thank you I saw it.

We are booked on the 12/21 sailing on Le Champlain and our T.A. has provided mediocre service/response so we appreciate all the information you are willing to post.

Since you received your documents 15 hours ago, or so, this means we should get ours next Monday or soon thereafter. Our notifications our turned on should you post anything else here. Thanks again 

Edited by Fighterone

19 hours ago, PBfromDC said:

Hi Gary - my husband and I were also on the Boston-Puerto Morelos (Cozumel) Ocean Voyage and I agree with your assessment that Ponant did a great job getting us off the ship in Cozumel and to our destination on the mainland. It was remarkable what they were able to pull off with such short notice. We were not inconvenienced at all and sort of enjoyed the extra "drama" of it all. You had the German telling the older gentleman from DC to STFU, I had an English chap doing the same!

This was our third Ocean Voyage (first was Fort de France to Lisbon on Le Boreal and second was last April on Le Champlain Cayenne to Lisbon) and we also thought that things were a bit off. On our other Ocean Voyages, service and food were top notch. Now, on our the first one we had 83 passengers and on our second there were only 43 of us, so that might have played into the better service. You are spot on regarding the food - some hits, some misses and some WTFs, but it didn't make our voyage any less enjoyable. Like you we enjoy the lazy sea days. Give that we had two referrals ($600 each) and $500 ship board credit, it almost seemed cheaper than staying at home! You get free laundry with your second cruise, so book soon!

We're booked on Ponant again in March 2020 - Montevideo to Praia, Cape Verde. Should be an interesting voyage.

Perry

Perry -- 

Glad you enjoyed the ocean voyage, too! We'll definitely consider doing another one in the future. Our next trip with Ponant will be in late August next year when we do a 7-night circumnavigation of Iceland. Really looking forward to that! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 3:32 PM, CabinForOne said:

Thank you Gary!  I appreciate your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.  The price of these ocean voyages is really a bargain which makes trying Ponant such a good deal before committing to a longer and more expensive cruise.  You confirmed what I suspected about some reductions in service and, perhaps, food quality.  Still, an all-inclusive cruise on a small ship with a balcony cabin and those relaxing sea days sounds wonderful.  I'm trying Ponant, Oceania and Crystal over the next couple years.  It will be fun to compare.  Enjoy the Iceland cruise!

I have decided to book a long voyage on Ponant (76 days) and have never sailed with them. I feel totally confident with all the research that I have done. Like the information on this thread, Ponant seems to have amazing customer service. I had a bump in the reservation progress and they took care of it immediately. They even reached out to a customer to change their stateroom so I could have the same stateroom for entire the sailing. Oceania was my first cruise after years on NCL. I do not like the size of the new mega ships. Oceania was a little too many people even, but I did love the food and had one of the best concierges (Ray) I have ever encountered.  Enjoy those sea days!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone...

wow! Thank goodness we have this rum to post. Ponant home office in France has not addressed any concerns with docking issues in Puerto Morelos. Called USA office in NYC and they are so rude and just one rude. No questions answered! Does anyone know  any information about the cruise leaving 21 December 2019 rom Puerto Morelos. How are the cruises on the le Champlain. Is there seafood? Look forward to hearing from everyone...Mickey 

On 11/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, HappyInVan said:

Just heard from my TA.

Ponant is still claiming that PM is the port. So, I have no choice but to pay final deposit. But, Iceland is on ice.

I had asked if I could cancel and transfer the deposit if the port is changed. The answer is no.

According to my TA...

"Ponant did say that guests will be given pick up points and transferred to any new port that will be announced in the event of a change."

Hello...has anyone heard from Ponant..we have not 

Thank you for taking time to post.

mickey

37 minutes ago, Travelingmickeys said:

Hello...has anyone heard from Ponant..we have not 

Thank you for taking time to post.

mickey

It's Dec 17th in North America. They should have issued embarkation instructions to you.

I suggest calling Ponant directly and ask for specific embarkation address (pier, harbor). If they do not have an answer before you fly to Mexico, make some arrangement with them to send instructions to you (forward from a relative/friend/travel agent).

In the last resort, email directly to their agent in Cozumel who is responsible for booking the berth, and providing local transport/facilities. See post #11 here...

I think that Fighterone are on the same cruise as you are. I'm am also going to start a December 21st Roll Call on this forum. You guys can get together and introduce yourselves. And, strength in numbers.

Hello everyone,

I just returned on December 14th after completing Le Champlain's Mayan Wonders itinerary.  I will try to cover the important highlights and provide as much information as possible.

Firstly the December 7 cruise departed from Cozumel and returned to Cozumel.  The Captain indicated upon departure that Cozumel will continue to be used until further notice, however, the reservation offices around the world may still be telling people that PM is being used.  I will not get into why this change is occurring but suffice it to say there is a bit of corruption at play at various levels of government.  In my case I was notified by Ponant on Wednesday December 4 about the new embarkation process.  Quite simply I had to make my own way to the Grand Hyatt in Playa del Carmen by 4pm on Saturday December 7.  I used a local taxi from my hotel in Puerto Morelos the journey took about 40 minutes at a price of $45usd.  Upon arrival at the Grand Hyatt I met the Cruise Director who was brilliant and went above and beyond in handling this unexpected change to the itinerary.  From the Hyatt we boarded a bus for a 3 minute ride to the ferry terminal where we walked down a pier to board a chartered Ultramar ferry.  With respect to luggage handling, once I arrived at the Grand Hyatt I did not have to touch mu luggage until I opened it up in my cabin.  Baggage handling was looked after by Ponant.  The ferry crossing over to Cozumel took about 45 minutes.  The ferry docked next to le Champlain so it was an easy stroll to board the ship.

I won't get into the details of my cruise but it was exceptional, the cuisine was excellent, the ship felt elegant and chic at the same time as well as being spotless.  The crew were professional and friendly.  Basically the ship and the excursions were amazing.

The dis embarkation process worked in reverse.  For those passengers who needed to be taken to the airport in Cancun, Ponant looked after the entire process seamlessly and there was no charge to the guest.  Basically it worked like this.  Ship docked in Cozumel at 6am and cleared customs.  At 7am passengers bound for Cancun airport disembarked, claimed luggage which put on trucks then transported to the ferry terminal whilst passengers boarded a bus for a short trip to the ferry terminal.  By 8am we were seated on the regularly scheduled Ultramar ferry along with our luggage.  The crossing took about 45 minutes.  Upon arrival in Playa del Carmen we were met by a local agent who kept us together while our luggage was taken by porters.  We made our way by foot to a local bus station where we were re-united with our luggage which we re-claimed.  We also had to let our handlers know  which terminal number we required at the Cancun airport so that our luggage was put in the correct baggage compartment on the bus.  By 9:15 we were on the highway to Cancun and we arrived as scheduled at the airport at 10:15.  A number of guests had flight leaving between 11:30 and 12 noon and there was no problem in making those flights .  All along the way there were reps who asked our name and cabin number to ensure that everyone was accounted for.  I was impressed with how Ponant handled the entire process.  We were not stressed and just went with the flow.  A sense of humor helps.

BTW I am booking another Ponant cruise next month.  This was my first but not my last.

• Like 2