Jersey City to New York sites timing question

cruisekap

Hi all,

I am sailing on Anthem on March 29th and flying into EWR on March 28.  We arrive around 10 am and have booked the Residence Inn by Marriott in Jersey City.  I would like to book tickets to see both the 9/11 Memorial/Museum and the Empire State building.  Considering the PATH closure etc. I need help with deciding the best time to book these tickets with a reasonable amount of time for transportation etc.  I have never been to NYC and would welcome suggestions.  I am hoping to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and leave our luggage at the front desk before heading out.

Thanks all. 

Kathy

3 hours ago, cruisekap said:

I would like to book tickets to see both the 9/11 Memorial/Museum and the Empire State building.

I would book tickets for 9/11 Museum and not book tickets for the Empire State Building. The only tickets that are date and time specific are the 9/11 Museum-- you can just purchase ESB tickets when you get there. I would also visit 9/11 earlier in the day and migrate towards midtown later in the day when there is more going on up there. The Empire State Building I believe is open very late-- 2am I thought I saw last time we were there-- so you have a ton of flexibility. Going late around 10pm you will miss a lot of the crowds and get a great nighttime view of the city. 

I would just take an Uber uptown to the ESB unless you want to navigate the subway. 

5 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I would book tickets for 9/11 Museum and not book tickets for the Empire State Building. The only tickets that are date and time specific are the 9/11 Museum-- you can just purchase ESB tickets when you get there. I would also visit 9/11 earlier in the day and migrate towards midtown later in the day when there is more going on up there. The Empire State Building I believe is open very late-- 2am I thought I saw last time we were there-- so you have a ton of flexibility. Going late around 10pm you will miss a lot of the crowds and get a great nighttime view of the city. 

I would just take an Uber uptown to the ESB unless you want to navigate the subway. 

Thanks so much. Great advise.  I will book the 9/11 museum.  I will definitely uber to midtown.  Do you suggest taking the PATH and ferry on the weekend or uber from the hotel to the 9/11 museum too...

6 minutes ago, cruisekap said:

Do you suggest taking the PATH and ferry on the weekend or uber from the hotel to the 9/11 museum too...

Normally I would say PATH is a no brainer but it will be closed weekends for the foreseeable future. Uber will be easy, but also one of the more expensive options. Given you are from out of town the ferry might be a fun and scenic way to get over with a nice view of lower Manhattan and then Uber back at the end of the day when you are tired and just want to get back to the hotel from Midtown. 

3 hours ago, cruisekap said:

Do you suggest taking the PATH and ferry on the weekend or uber from the hotel to the 9/11 museum too...

PATH has scheduled track work on weekends that impact service to the World Trade Center station. PATH is not closed on weekends, that specific station is. You can still take PATH from Grove Street station to NYC stations as far as 33rd street NYC, you may have to travel via Hoboken.