Medallion

balmain4ver

Hi

Just a question for cruisers who have been on a ship just before it becomes "medallion" what is it like.

Are there any trials for "certain tier cruisers"?  I am asking because our cruise in January on Ruby is the last before it changes over and was wondering if it will impact on anything because I am sure a lot has to change for this to happen and Princess won't make the change in one morning.

Just curious as I am most sure that we are going to have a wonderful cruise.

3 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

You should notice that your internet is faster.  We were on the CB where it was in place, but not active yet.  I think they had 100 or so people testing it out.   My internet from my internet package was much faster than normal ship internet.

The MedallionNet internet system and the Medallion pax-tracking system are two entirely separate systems that are being currently rolled out to the Princess fleet.  MedallionNet takes a lot less installation work so will often show up on a ship well before the Medallions.

But... there are still not any O3b-like satellites in polar orbit, so north of about Seattle / Southampton and south of the Falklands, a ship with MedallionNet is still stuck with legacy satellites and their limited bandwidth.

We were on the Regal when they were testing medallions--some cabins had it and others did not. We were in one of the cabins without it. The cabins were in groups based on location, not based on passengers' status or even type of cabin. The ones where they were testing included suites, balcony cabins, and inside cabins.

We enjoyed it because they gave us unlimited internet to make up for not having the medallions ready for the whole ship and onboard credit for some of us who complained. (The cruise had been advertised as a medallion cruise.) But since then, they've had better success at rolling out medallions on subsequent ships. I haven't heard of any free unlimited internet lately in lieu of the free minutes for being Platinum or above.

6 hours ago, geoherb said:

We were on the Regal when they were testing medallions--some cabins had it and others did not. We were in one of the cabins without it. The cabins were in groups based on location, not based on passengers' status or even type of cabin. The ones where they were testing included suites, balcony cabins, and inside cabins.

We enjoyed it because they gave us unlimited internet to make up for not having the medallions ready for the whole ship and onboard credit for some of us who complained. (The cruise had been advertised as a medallion cruise.) But since then, they've had better success at rolling out medallions on subsequent ships. I haven't heard of any free unlimited internet lately in lieu of the free minutes for being Platinum or above.

I did read that they had open internet at Princess Cays for some reason.

It might have been during a testing phase.