Chef's Table Dinner

USCcruisecrazy

4 hours ago, memoak said:

I can buy any of those wines for under $10 in my grocery store.  Cheap cheap cheap. 

😮  say what !  is that on Safeway super senior  Saturday sale ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, c-boy said:

😮  say what !  is that on Safeway super senior  Saturday sale ?

I live in So Cal and can buy Clois du Bois or Decoy or Mondavi chardonnays any day of the week at Ralph's (Krogers) for $8.99.  All of which are served on Princess ship, maybe not the Clois du Bois anymore, did not see that on my last cruise.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:12 AM, memoak said:

Too much food and mediocre wines. Not worth the bother or expense

I'm just curious what your motivation was for this post.  Did you expect the OP to respond, "Gosh, thanks, anonymous internet poster.  We'll immediately cease planning to sample this special event we were previously excited about."?   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, memoak said:

I can buy any of those wines for under $10 in my grocery store.  Cheap cheap cheap. 

5 hours ago, polmcs said:

Does your Oregon grocery store ship? Nicolas Feuillatte at under $10 a bottle is a bargain 😉  Even after paying to ship it, it would still be cheaper than buying it at my local store. 

4 hours ago, memoak said:

cheap champagne gives me a headache

I call bull on the under $10 for any of those I looked them up and the cheapest locally is about $13 some were $25 or more and the champagne was about $35. Sounds like @memoak believes that the more expensive the wine, the better it is which is a common error made by wine snobs. There are some very highly reviewed wines under $25.

• Like 1

I'd like to add to my prior post.  To get the under $10 price per bottle, the wine has to be on sale, which they always are and if your buy 6 bottles, which I do, you get an additional 30% off.  And I do drink those wines, they are fine for me. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:54 PM, trbarton said:

I can speak of my experience with a group. I hand a group from CC & I wanted to try & get a chef’s dinner for us. When I arrived on the ship I had a list with everyone’s name & stateroom number which I turned it in at the customer service desk as soon as I arrived. How long is your cruise as that could make a difference?

Everyone in our group was contacted & a date & time was mentioned. 

Everyone needs to be flexible as you don’t if they will plan one. 

Let us know the details of your cruise & good luck. 

Tom😎

I really appreciate the advice.  It's only a 7 night, but it's the first cruise after the Inaugural 4 day on the Sky, so I'm hoping not many B2B signups!  I'll get all the names and cabins together.  If it does work out, it will be a real treat!  🙂  I'll let everyone know how it works out.

I go for the food & the experience. The wine for me is secondary as you get food that I would pay a lot for in a high end restaurant here in San Francisco plus paying extra for wine. 

I have experienced the Chef’s dinner a number of times & If anyone is expecting high end wines than the chef’s dinner is not for you. 

Tom

• Like 1

I only posted to advise readers if they are expecting a high end “tasting” dinner with great wines they might be disappointed. Having done several of these it seems that the emphasis was on quantity of food not quality.  And yes we can buy great wines in our grocery store for $8 or less

22 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

I'm just curious what your motivation was for this post.  Did you expect the OP to respond, "Gosh, thanks, anonymous internet poster.  We'll immediately cease planning to sample this special event we were previously excited about."?   

No matter what their motivation may have been...we aren't trying to plan it because we want $100 worth of wine for  $115 meal cost...we want to experience the entire evening, the food, the wine, the Chef describing the food, the ambience, etc...  Appreciate you questioning them, but rest assured, I never get swayed by Negative Nellies when deciding on an experience!!  🙂

19 minutes ago, memoak said:

I only posted to advise readers if they are expecting a high end “tasting” dinner with great wines they might be disappointed. Having done several of these it seems that the emphasis was on quantity of food not quality.  And yes we can buy great wines in our grocery store for $8 or less

For the record, I have an abundance of high end wines in my collection...6 of which will accompany my wife and I on this cruise...not doing it for the wine...could care less as long as it's not swill...thanks for the concern though!!