Sailing from Galveston in January

aknguyen

That's a difficult question to answer. It could be 75+ degrees the day of sailing. It also could be below 40 degrees the day of sailing, with a north wind blowing for the entire duration of the cruise that keeps overall temperatures low. Weather the past few years has been very unpredictable. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and check the extended forecasts closer to sailing date.

• Like 1

It all depends on the weather forecast. That's such an intellectual comment, so let me redeem myself a little.

Galveston weather will range from highs in the 70's to lows in the 40's. Fifty years fishing the bays around here have taught me temps on the water feel about ten degrees cooler. It's windy and 56 degrees here now and it feels cold.
 We've sailed several times from Galveston during winter months and boarded in shorts and a sweatshirt. By the time sail away rolls around we were in jeans and jackets. When the ship makes the turn to starboard at the US Coast Guard station the wind will hit you!
 With a strong north wind the next day at sea is cooler than normal. Areas in the sun, especially those behind the wind screens forward one deck above the lido will be full of sun worshipers. Those in open areas will be a lot cooler. By mid afternoon it will be really nice.
 Coming back you will have a full sea day and expect cooler temps after lunch and the roughest day of your cruise. That has been the norm for us in the thirty plus sailings from here.
  If the weather in Galveston is warmer the two or three days before you return then your day at sea will be really warm. Come down now, the flounder are running.
 What I am saying is bring a sweatshirt and windbreaker. Many times my standard attire for that day is shorts, boat shoes and the sweatshirt. I'm the aging poorly cruiser with his iPad and headphones listening to downloaded podcasts at the tables along the slanted glass by the aft pool.

Have a great vacation. Come down here early and warm up with a bowl of gumbo at the Gumbo Bar on the Seawall. I'm headed over there for lunch!

IMG_1955.JPG

Edited by BallFour4

We had heavy fog in the middle of January.  Delayed our departure by about 8-9 hrs. due to the ship arriving into port late.  In late December, it was so freezing cold, it was sleeting on embarkation.  That was not fun.  I really think you have to plan for anything between 40 & 75 degrees.