VO Thanksgiving Day Dinner

MSEm

When we sailed over Thanksgiving three years ago their effort to provide a Thanksgiving dinner wasn't great.  There was turkey, but most of the traditional sides were not available.  The dessert offerings were no different then the other days.  Many people complained and pumpkin pie was offered several days later (but no pecan).

I wouldn't expect Viking to provide Thanksgiving dinner ... they are best off not even trying.  I have learned the hard way that in a group of twenty people there will twenty different versions of a "typical" Thanksgiving dinner.  I tried once to put together a "Thanksgiving Feast" for my school (Principal tries to do something nice!) and it was a nightmare!  Some want stuffing, others prefer it outside of the bird ... and don't even get me started on deep frying the turkey!  Some loved the idea of pumpkin pie but others insisted that it wasn't "Thanksgiving with out sweet potato pie.  "What!  No potato salad?!?"  Needless to say, "typical" tends to be based on family traditions and are best  left to the family.  I ultimately defied tradition and order pizzas for everyone the week after Thanksgiving when everyone was sick of turkey!

• Like 4

We will be on a VO cruise thisT-Day.

I was just wondering about VO menus.  Some cruise line try to put on the "full American" T_day meal.

I remember our first T-day meal when stationed in Greece with the US Air Force. We were invited for T-Day and every guest was requested to bring their favorite Mexican dish to share.

My great niece has already stated," Thanksgiving is gonna S---------!. Aunt Em will not be here to cook the ham."

• 2 months later...

Update > We completed our November 2019 Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise.

Yes there was Roast Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce an mashed "pumpkin" as a vegetable.  NO Sweet Potatoes.

available in Cafe and main dining room.

Note you will be docked  1 1/2 to 2 hours away from the major cities.  If you are take the extension in Bangkok, the included tour is covered on your trip from the ship to the hotel. Viking did run shuttles to the cities.

Really enjoyed the canal tour in Bangkok, but getting off the speed boat was difficult.

41 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Whose Thanksgiving are you asking about as Thanksgiving is celebrated in various countries on different dates?

Here is a link that will give information on various countries and their Thanksgiving dates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving#Canada

Do you really think the OP from Georgia was asking about any other Thanksgiving than that celebrated in the USA?

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:00 AM, friendlyfifer said:

Do you really think the OP from Georgia was asking about any other Thanksgiving than that celebrated in the USA?

No, she probably was.

I was just pointing out the failing of so many of my fellow US citizens to realize that the world is not centered on the USA and its traditions.

• Like 2