Traditional dining questions

BballinQT24

On our past Princess cruises we've always done anytime dining as we prefer the flexibility, but decided to try traditional on our upcoming Regal cruise since we'll have our young kids with us and wait times can vary with the anytime. We requested early seating and the cruise personalizer lists it as confirmed. I have a few questions about how traditional dining works though.

I've read on here that requesting a table size is just that, and doesn't always have the number of people you request. Is there a way to know what table we will be at before dinner the first night so we can confirm it really is a table for 4? Not to sound anti-social, but I think the meals will go more smoothly for the kids if it's just us at the table. If we see it isn't the correct size could we talk to somebody about switching to a different one or even anytime dining at that point?

We also received a free specialty dinner promo when we booked the cruise. I was thinking we would tell our waiters the night before so they know not to expect us, is that the norm? What if the free dinner is assigned the first night, do we just not show up to the traditional dining or should we let somebody know? 

I know I'm probably overthinking this, so thanks for any replies!

When you board the ship, your cruise card will show your dining table allocation. I suggest you go to the dining room and see if you can check out what size table the Maitre d' has allocated to your family. If you are not happy with it, you can see the Maitre d' to request a change. The Princess Patter usually shows the time he will be available - usually 2pm either outside or just inside one of the dining rooms. There will probably be a queue of people to see him, so I suggest you arrive a bit ahead of time.

We have always dined traditional, and asked for table for 4. Once, with a large family group we asked for a table for 11. We have always got what we asked for. We tried river cruising once and voweled never again because be spent the whole 12 days telling strangers the same thing over and over again. You can ask the maitre,d to change your table if you are not happy with it. We have done that maybe 5 times, usually because of the location. We like having the waiters know us and our preferences, especially on longer cruises. To each their own

2 hours ago, BballinQT24 said:

We also received a free specialty dinner promo when we booked the cruise. I was thinking we would tell our waiters the night before so they know not to expect us, is that the norm? What if the free dinner is assigned the first night, do we just not show up to the traditional dining or should we let somebody know? 

Yes, it's definitely a courtesy to let your waiters know you'll be absent the next night.  I don't think the promo is likely to be the first night, but if so, you can pop by the main dining room and let the headwaiter at the door know your table number and that you will be dining in a specialty that night. 

FYI, you can also ask for the day/time of the specialty reservation to be changed, should it be not to your liking (with kids, you may prefer an earlier time than they give you, for example, or prefer one restaurant over the other).  You can accomplish this  by taking the reservation card to the restaurant you prefer and the host at the door will make the switch for you.  Some say to call the Dining line on your cabin phone, but I don't have the patience to sit on hold, not when there's a live person right at the door of each restaurant whose job it is to handle reservations. 

5 hours ago, BballinQT24 said:

On our past Princess cruises we've always done anytime dining as we prefer the flexibility, but decided to try traditional on our upcoming Regal cruise since we'll have our young kids with us and wait times can vary with the anytime. We requested early seating and the cruise personalizer lists it as confirmed. I have a few questions about how traditional dining works though.

I've read on here that requesting a table size is just that, and doesn't always have the number of people you request. Is there a way to know what table we will be at before dinner the first night so we can confirm it really is a table for 4? Not to sound anti-social, but I think the meals will go more smoothly for the kids if it's just us at the table. If we see it isn't the correct size could we talk to somebody about switching to a different one or even anytime dining at that point? If you are on a Medallion cruise, a card in your cabin will indicate your dining room name, time and table number. If not a Medallion cruise, your cruise card will have that information on it. However, that does not tell you what the table size is. The first day's Patter (in your cabin when you embark) will list a time and a location where you can check your dining assignment and ask for a change if necessary. At that time you can find out your table size and request a change if you need to.

We also received a free specialty dinner promo when we booked the cruise. I was thinking we would tell our waiters the night before so they know not to expect us, is that the norm? What if the free dinner is assigned the first night, do we just not show up to the traditional dining or should we let somebody know?  Anytime you know you will not be showing up for traditional dining you should let your waitstaff know so they will not be expecting you. If your specialty restaurant dining assignment is not for a day you would want it or the restaurant you want, contact (or visit) the specialty restaurant to ask for a change to what you want.

see above in red