what cruise line or ship would be better caribbean princess vs zuiderdam

mets

We've been on both ships:  16-day EB TA on Zuiderdam and 59 days on Caribbean Princess (CB) over 4 cruises (did both an EB and a WB TA for a total of 38 days).  The two cruise lines are different in various ways:  Princess ships are larger, have more day and night time activities, etc.  I did enjoy the Zuiderdam even tho it was "quieter" so to speak.  Both ships offer lectures related to the Panama Canal when that's on the itinerary.  Zuiderdam carries a max of 2,300 pax while the CB carries a max of 3,600 pax (with 2 to a cabin it's about 3,000).  Zuiderdam has an indoor pool with jets in the spa area, which I enjoyed every day.  CB doesn't have such a pool.

There are many similarities between C Princess and Zuiderdam but IMHO only one significant difference between them - Zuiderdam has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, Zuiderdam would be our hands-down choice.

We have done the 10- and 11-day Panama Canal partial transit cruises on Zuiderdam three times and have enjoyed every one of them.  Probably not much difference between them insofar as food quality, cabin size, service and general ambience, but Zuiderdam's smaller size would be a "plus" for us, with C Princess probably having an edge in entertainment.  On balance, it'd be Zuiderdam for us, even if C Princess also had a priest on board.

Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise!

Edited by avian777

No contest, Zuiderdam. 

We are Elite with Princess but our last cruise on Caribbean Princess left a bad taste in our mouths, literally, the worst food we've had on Cruise in 10 years when we sailed on the Carnival Freedom. Not only was the food bad but the ship was a mess, propulsion problems, old and soiled furniture plus the carpeting around the ship was the original, in our room it was filthy. We sailed on her 8 times from when she was brand new and now would have to think twice if they offered us an incredible deal.

We have sailed the Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam, and we had booked on the Caribbean Princess (also Panama Canal) but ultimately cancelled due to changes to the itinerary caused by the ship’s then propulsion problems. I would assume that is fixed by now, but for me, the biggest difference is - do you want to see the old locks or the new ones? Caribbean Princess transits the new locks to Gatun Lake (she can’t fit through the old locks). Zuiderdam transits the old locks as far as I know, and to me would be the more interesting cruise. If you can, get one of the aft wrap balconies on deck 5 for a great up close view. It was one of our favourite cruises. We’ve had good food on both lines.

good luck choosing!

Edited by sp2
  • Like 1

I debated between the 2 for our April 2020 Panama cruise and went with Zuiderdam as we liked the itinerary better.

And it will go through the old locks and is having a light refurbishment this month.

We cruised on her to Alaska a few years back.

Edited by jlocole
Added input

Just wanted to point out that, unless you are planning to be in a mini-suite or higher on Caribbean Princess, you will only have one chair in your cabin, a desk chair. Princess decided a few months ago to remove all of the heavier, upholstered chairs (I think they are called barrel chairs) from cabins lower than mini-suite level, and there is no other indoor seating other than an upright, armless desk chair.

• Thanks 1

I haven't been on Princess, but I just returned from the Zuiderdam.  It was a wonderful cruise.  I know food is subjective, but the food and service in the dining room was excellent.  The only meal I had that I didn't care for was in the Pinnnacle Grill.  Perhaps it was an off night because we have always had excellent food in this venue in the past on other ships.  We travel to relax since my husband works very hard.  A quiet ship with a private cabana on top of the ship is heaven to us.

I have cruised both ships and in no way am I a cheerleader for either one of these lines. 

That said, I recommend Zuiderdam.  I did not like Caribbean because it felt very crowded to me.  Plus, as mentioned, standard rooms (rooms below mini suite) do not have couches so there is no sitting area. 

I'd rate food the same.  However, Zuiderdam's dining room is much more comfortable.  The tables are way too close to one another on Caribbean. 

However, I disagree with the last post that said everything was better.  The entertainment and activities on Caribbean (and Princess in general) blows away Zuiderdam (and HAL in general).  But entertainment alone, although much better, is not enough for me to recommend Caribbean over Zuiderdam. 

Edited by Aquahound

We were on the Emerald Princess in a suite, and got into their club class dining room.  Much better service, than what we've had in the MDR.  You can get it in a Mini-Suite, but that's more expensive than the regular mini-suites.  Club Class Mini-suites are also prime real estate, mid-ship.  I think the regular mini-suites are either aft or forward.  We'd gotten a mini-suite right across from the laundrette, hoping to just run across the hall for a quick laundry, but the washers were all broken down for the entire 14 days.  So, we had to make the trek to another laundrette, and they kept changing.