Is April 4 still considered Spring Break?

mafig

April 4 is the week before Easter in 2020.  We are considering a cruise on N. Epic, for either April 4 or 12 (which is Easter week).  

Which week would you "guess" would have less kids? 

BTW, we once went on a cruise during Easter week …. on Celebrity, though.  We figured there would be lots of kids, but it turned out there were less than 30 on board!  Can we count on being lucky twice?

April absolutely is considered Spring Break.    Especially the week before Easter and the week after Easter.     But even then, the entire state of Massachusetts is always on Spring Break the 3rd week of April.     New Hampshire, the entire state is on spring break the last week on April.    Its definitely spring break the whole month.    

The last week of April would be the least amount of kids though....obviously at the tail end of the Spring Break season.

Springbreak for us in Ontario is between March 15-21 and for the private schools its for 2 weeks.

Our friends in NY, their kid's break is from the March 15 to the 28.

I think it varies A LOT, so hard to escape the kids.

4 hours ago, mafig said:

April 4 is the week before Easter in 2020.  We are considering a cruise on N. Epic, for either April 4 or 12 (which is Easter week).  

Which week would you "guess" would have less kids? 

BTW, we once went on a cruise during Easter week …. on Celebrity, though.  We figured there would be lots of kids, but it turned out there were less than 30 on board!  Can we count on being lucky twice?

Both weeks will be full of K-12 age kids. That is too late for college spring breaks.

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Springbreak for us in Ontario is between March 15-21 and for the private schools its for 2 weeks.

Our friends in NY, their kid's break is from the March 15 to the 28.

I think it varies A LOT, so hard to escape the kids.

Agreed.  It definitely varies much more than decades ago.  It seems now spring break can occur anytime from mid-March to mid-late April.   And then you have the districts that also have mid-winter break that's generally mid-late February.  So it may be hard to find a week that's guaranteed kid free in late winter-early spring.  

In our public school district, there's holiday break (formerly known as Christmas break), mid-winter break and spring break (that's 3 1/2 weeks off in just over 3 calendar months), which explains in part why our district usually gets out in the 3rd week of June.  

I think it depends where you are.  Our spring break next year is early--the week that you are going away, and then a long weekend around Easter.  I think most schools outside of the northeast have spring break in March though... we are in school until June, so ours is later than the rest of the country that seems to get out in May.

Because Passover 2020 is 4/8 - 4/16, the chances of public schools having their break are high for both weeks you are looking at.  On NCL, you are almost certainly not going to encounter only 50 kids.  If I personally wanted to avoid a cruise with lots of kids on it, I would pick an entirely different week than the two you are considering.