Let's Talk About.... Beer

LadyMac72

September 2020 cruise

Juneau

Skagway

ISP

Ketchikan

Taking my boyfriend on his first cruise.  He turns 40 in February 2020 so I am going to give it to him then.  Gotta admit - BF really likes his beer; he's a fan of the IPA. Any beers/microbreweries/beer tours we should check out?

Well -- I am not a beer fan, but am married to a beer drinker who also does home brewing.  But here goes:

Juneau: Home of the Alaskan Brewing Company.  The actual brewing operation is out of downtown Juneau, but, at least in the past, they have run shuttles from their downtown retail operation to the brewery where they offer samples.  Check their website for up to date information.

Skagway:  Home of the Skagway Brewing Company.  They have a restaurant and bar in downtown Skagway.  

Icy Strait Point:  Icy Strait  Brewing is not located in the tourist compound but in Hoonah.  We were not in ISP this summer, but, unless it has moved, as you walk into Hoonah from ISP it is on the right (ocean) side of the road.  

Ketchikan:  I believe there is at least one micro brewery, but have never visited it.  Hopefully others are more informed than I am.

There are a number of microbreweries throughout the state.  Where we live, in Fairbanks, we have Hoo Doo and Silver Gulch.  Silver Gulch is available in other parts of the state.  Several of the Anchorage microbreweries also are large enough that their beers are also available outside of the immediate Anchorage area.  

• Like 1

Take a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breweries_in_Alaska 

Plenty of good suds here for your boyfriend.

I hope he realizes what a gem he has for a girlfriend. 

Also, if the ship you're on makes frequent runs in the Pacific NW, it's quite likely they will have Alaskan brewed beer on board. But you may have to hunt it down. Some bars may stock it, others will insist that it doesn't exist on the ship. He may be surprised at what he can track down.  When he finds something he likes, that's in short supply, ask the barman to set aside a few bottles for you. Then give him the tip he rightly deserves. If you can track down the beverages manager, he can be a revelation.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:01 PM, LadyMac72 said:

September 2020 cruise

Juneau

Skagway

ISP

Ketchikan

Taking my boyfriend on his first cruise.  He turns 40 in February 2020 so I am going to give it to him then.  Gotta admit - BF really likes his beer; he's a fan of the IPA. Any beers/microbreweries/beer tours we should check out?

Love, love, love Alaska Amber and Alaska White beer!

Our cruise also had a few Alaska Brewing Company beers on board, and as a craft beer connoisseur and a history buff I also really loved the Spruce Tip Ale from Skagway Brewing Company. This beer provides a hefty dose of Vitamin C and was used to prevent sailors from getting scurvy in Alaska since citrus doesn't grow well there! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

LOVE the Spruce Tip Beer in Skagway.... my family picked a cruise this year that doesn't included Skagway... saying I am disappointed not to get there just for this beer is an understatement LOL!  I have been told here are now 4 different craft breweries in Juneau.

1 hour ago, KristyMisty14 said:

LOVE the Spruce Tip Beer in Skagway.... my family picked a cruise this year that doesn't included Skagway... saying I am disappointed not to get there just for this beer is an understatement LOL!  I have been told here are now 4 different craft breweries in Juneau.

Tofino, Phillips, Dead Frog, and Postmark all brew Spruce beers down this way - even R&B occasionally produce one in their 'Chef series' so keep your eyes peeled in BC liquor stores. Personally I do love spruce and other old european pre-hop flavoured ales, and the Spruce Tip is my favourite of the Skagway Brewing products - Phillips Evergreen is a better brew for me though (pale ale base, and Sprucier!) but Tofino's is a closer match to Skagway's (light golden ale base). Both are readily found in Vancouver.

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Tofino, Phillips, Dead Frog, and Postmark all brew Spruce beers down this way - even R&B occasionally produce one in their 'Chef series' so keep your eyes peeled in BC liquor stores. Personally I do love spruce and other old european pre-hop flavoured ales, and the Spruce Tip is my favourite of the Skagway Brewing products - Phillips Evergreen is a better brew for me though (pale ale base, and Sprucier!) but Tofino's is a closer match to Skagway's (light golden ale base). Both are readily found in Vancouver.

Maybe it’s something about drinking it in Alaska versus here that makes it taste better lol

5 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Maybe it’s something about drinking it in Alaska versus here that makes it taste better lol

You'll just have to take the local brews with you next time you cruise to Skagway. Have someone else pour the beers so you don't know which is which for a true blind taste test 😉