does the $14 per day for the 'free' drinks package apply to UK bookings

fragilek

I have just booked the Edge through a UK booking agent and afterwards read on here about the new $14 daily charge that will be added to on board account for having got info from here. https://onlycelebritycruisedeals.com/celebrity-drink-package-2019/.   I cannot see anything about this in the small print of my booking or on the site I used can anyone confirm if this applies to the UK passengers. 

6 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I cannot see anything about this in the small print of my booking or on the site I used can anyone confirm if this applies to the UK passengers. 

Yes-- applies to all passengers regardless of nationality and where it was booked. Was just back and forth with them the other day on it. 

6 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes-- applies to all passengers regardless of nationality and where it was booked. Was just back and forth with them the other day on it. 

how are they going to charge me, will they put it on my account on board.  Also this is not anywhere on any UK site including celebrity where they advertise a free drinks package - there is nothing in the terms and conditions anywhere about the additional $14 upfront or during the booking process. I only found out about it on here.

Edited by fragilek
sp

26 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm not sure this is correct. 

UK Consumer law does not allow compulsory hidden extras to be charged on stuff advertised as "free".  If you buy your cruise through a UK Travel Agent (including Celebrity's UK Operation) UK consumer law applies.

I believe this $14 fee might relate to certain perk packages not sold in the UK

Edited by DYKWIA

Just now, mickey89 said:

Definitely NOT applicable to U.K. bookings although no one can foresee the future.

As it's pretty difficult to buy a Celebrity Cruise in the UK without a free drinks package, I expect they will put up prices in the UK by $14 a day pretty soon 🙂

18 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

As it's pretty difficult to buy a Celebrity Cruise in the UK without a free drinks package, I expect they will put up prices in the UK by $14 a day pretty soon 🙂

From what they were explaining is that the price did go up and that cruises after Oct 10th the $14 accounts for that. 

9 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

From what they were explaining is that the price did go up and that cruises after Oct 10th the $14 accounts for that. 

Oh, that's ok then. as it means I have already paid for the package. I thought you meant I would have to pay it  on board.  I think I got an OK deal at that then. 1 week on the edge E3 Caribbean cabin for 2 with classic drinks and $300 for £1342  (about $1623)

I looked at future cruises on the UK website and drinks packages are included in the prices. There is no mention of additional costs attached to the package and if you continue with a dummy booking no extra costs appear . It would be illegal here in the UK to charge extras without full details being given to the customer. I can only assume they have built the extra cost into the cruise fare, especially as some of the fares are ridiculously high at the moment, 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

That’s a fallacy as our cruise price fell.  Prices in the U.K. are currently significantly lower than the US by as much as $1200.

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You were misinformed.

... or at least, mostly misinformed.

Right now in the UK market you don't pick perks, the cruise prices include certain preselected perks and so the price cannot be subject to additional charges.

Thiere is a suggestion that the UK will move to the same perk selection syatem as the USA, if that happens then yes, I'd expect the additional charges to be added, but they will need to be disclosed at the time.

Edited by Mark_T

You are correct in your assumption, from the end of this month the UK arm of x will be bring in the basic cruise then add your perks. I just wonder if the cost of OV and above cabins and above will reduce in price now that the ‘free drinks package’ will no longer be included? I am not holding my breath on that we shall wait and see.

3 hours ago, Easterncommand said:

You are correct in your assumption, from the end of this month the UK arm of x will be bring in the basic cruise then add your perks. I just wonder if the cost of OV and above cabins and above will reduce in price now that the ‘free drinks package’ will no longer be included? I am not holding my breath on that we shall wait and see.

do you know if that will allow the perks to be added to inside cabins if so I wonder if the massive price difference between the two categories will  now change to reflect this, hopefully not by the insides increasing lol

This has turned into a very complicated issue - well done Celebrity!

We have a cruise booked on Apex next year and when we first heard about this charge we were all set to cancel as  a matter of principle. Now it seems we don't have to pay this we will probably go ahead.  There must be many  like us who perhaps only have a glass of wine with dinner and a couple of speciality coffees.  Would certainly not pay $14 pppd for that.  X should have quietly increased the cruise fares and no one would have noticed.

Hi All!!! I (as a Colonist 😊) will throw in my 2 1/2 cents (pence or tuppins too)... When this $14 PPPD gratuity charge came up on packages that were included as a perk in the U.S. -- our travel agent charged us the $14 PPPD, but then gave it back to us as a SBC. Problem solved (for the moment)...

The  cruise lines have been really making out like bandits with these drink packages (as they get the liquor quite cheaply) and now they are getting a bit greedier... If they keep up the good work -- they will kill the golden goose...🐦

Happy Sailing!!!🛳️

Edited by neilrr

20 hours ago, govanguy said:

The new perk pricing structure includes the extra . Up until then they cannot charge the extra in UK where "Free" means free otherwise they would contravene the trades description act.

the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 prohibits the imposition of hidden fees to collect something marketed as free or included in the price

I'm not sure I'm seeing a problem here.

The current up-charge doesn't apply to the UK cruises sold with inclusive perks, and when they switch to allowing UK customers to pick their perk packages the prices for the selected package will include the upcharge.

As long as you clearly see what you have to pay to get what you've ordered all is good.

Even in the US the up-charge is not hidden, it is clear that selecting that perk will raise the cost.

4 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I'm not sure I'm seeing a problem here.

The current up-charge doesn't apply to the UK cruises sold with inclusive perks, and when they switch to allowing UK customers to pick their perk packages the prices for the selected package will include the upcharge.

As long as you clearly see what you have to pay to get what you've ordered all is good.

Even in the US the up-charge is not hidden, it is clear that selecting that perk will raise the cost.

I agree. What you see and what you pay for is what you (should)get in UK