BOGO60 - Understanding the Math

mrmj59

Can someone please explain how BOGO60 works as I can't figure out the numbers?  Please use this example and help me understand how the $1314 discount was calculated.  Thanks

Junior Suite
$3,958.00
2 Guests

Guest 1
Taxes & Fees $178.00
Cruise Fare $1,979.00

Guest 2
Taxes & Fees $178.00
Cruise Fare $1,979.00

Discounts & Credits
BOGO60 NRD  $1,314.00

Average cost per person
$1,500.00

TOTAL $3,000
  • Like 1

Total price of the cruise before "sale" is $4,314 when taxes and fees are included.  (taxes and fees are not included in the $3,958 given so add $178 times 2).

$4,314 divided by 2 passengers is $2,157.  ($1,979 + $178)

60% off of $2,157 is $1,294.   So Pax #1 pays $2,157 and Pax #2 pays $863 ($2,157 - $1,294).

Total price is $3,020. or $1,510 per person

So, don't question anything as it seems be $20 in your favor......or I lost $20 due to rounding.....or I just suck at math as I was a C+ math student  in high school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrmj59 said:

Can someone please explain how BOGO60 works as I can't figure out the numbers? 

What you need to realize is that the initial price that RCI lists is totally made up - that price has never been available to book in the recent past. So RCI could list the initial price as $15,000 and then give you 90% off to arrive at the same $1,500. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

Just trying to make sense of it should they have a better deal in the future but I realize it's all the same deal at the end.

From my example, the discount seems like more the 60% so it does work in my favor at the moment.

Just wondering whether to hold off for upcoming Black Friday deal or is it all going to be same??

3 minutes ago, mrmj59 said:

Thanks for your replies.

Just trying to make sense of it should they have a better deal in the future but I realize it's all the same deal at the end.

From my example, the discount seems like more the 60% so it does work in my favor at the moment.

Just wondering whether to hold off for upcoming Black Friday deal or is it all going to be same??

Same.  Plus, if you are booking under US/Canadian rules, and your cruise is more than 90 days out, then if the price does go down, you can normally get a price drop.

• Thanks 1