Self service Laundry ??

phillipahain

16 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Are they free and do you need to buy /bring detergent or is it part of the machine system as on some other ships 

You will need to bring your own soap powder, tablets or liquid, also it used to be available from reception but not sure it still is, but the washers and dryers are free to use.

On Ventura, 3 weeks ago, Ariel capsules were on sale in the ‘bits & pieces’ shop @ 20p each.  Better than having to pack that sort of thing ... but a total pain if you rely on purchase but there are none available on your cruise.

Perhaps we can ask people travelling now/in the next few weeks to do a *Detergent Watch*?

20 minutes ago, digger99 said:

Do you have to book to use the laundry?,   can you set the machine going and leave it do you have to stay for the machine to finish.

No need to book and you can leave it, the normal wash cycle is 45 mins but try to be back in time or you might incur the displeasure of other users.

Edited by terrierjohn

The one time I decided to use it, I took someone''s clothes our of the machine as it was finished and put them into a basket.  You should have heard the language when the person came back.  It was like I was infected with something.  Now I just take everything home.  I don't do laundry when I'm on holiday.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

The one time I decided to use it, I took someone''s clothes our of the machine as it was finished and put them into a basket.  You should have heard the language when the person came back.  It was like I was infected with something.  Now I just take everything home.  I don't do laundry when I'm on holiday.

We would normally wait until we got home but this time we are on board for 4 weeks and we are flying back so are restricted with luggage, so unfortunately will have to visit the laundry!!

3 hours ago, digger99 said:

Do you have to book to use the laundry?,   can you set the machine going and leave it do you have to stay for the machine to finish.

You need to find a vacant machine to use.  Most people use the launderette on their deck but this is not compulsory you may look on other decks too.  You set the machine and can leave it running on a wash.  The driers are the same too, however sometimes naughty people take your stuff out and put theirs in.  If the cycle has finished it is not unreasonable for them to remove your load carefully and load theirs.  You can estimate time and come back or stay for the duration if you prefer.  Realistically when you consider the daily cruise fare sitting waiting is expensive risk is someone might steal your stuff.  I  should consider hand washing small items in cabin and sending shirts, dresses etc. off to the paid laundry service if fabric is not delicate.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

They obviously did not know launderette etiquette! It is quiet acceptable to put some ones finished washing in a basket but not to throw it on the floor. If there are no baskets available it is OK to put it on a safe, clean flat surface. Be sure you are there when the washing is finished, no leaving it while you go ashore for the day.

On one Oceana cruise the baskets all disappeared. People were taking them back to their cabins and keeping them there. dire threats were issued via the horizons news.

This is a fun story. Someone was waiting for a machine to be free and one machine had an out of order sign on it. Then a man came in, took the sign off and loaded his washing in the machine. Then he left taking the sign with him.

I have lots of Launderette experience, 3 years in college and 12 years in a London flat.

Hols4

I went to empty our washing from the dryer on Aurora I had timed it so the dryer was free for someone else only to find a lady not only had taken our washing out but also folded it all up neatly.  It didn't bother me but my wife said she didn't like the idea of someone handling her smalls!

3 hours ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

I went to empty our washing from the dryer on Aurora I had timed it so the dryer was free for someone else only to find a lady not only had taken our washing out but also folded it all up neatly.  It didn't bother me but my wife said she didn't like the idea of someone handling her smalls!

Too right'I don't even like people handling my bigs.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

Don't tell everybody, but you can usually get a washing machine around 6:30 when people have started going to dinner. 

Unless they put a bar in there,you won't see me for dust at that time.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Unless they put a bar in there,you won't see me for dust at that time.

Just pour yourself a wee drinkie in you cabin and take it with you when you're putting things in, finish it off, then pour another as you go to pick them up. Pimps #drinkmoreworryless  #iloveroomservice

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle has just discovered detergent sheets that were recommended on here. 

They worked a treat and not messy to transport. 

Andy 

They are brilliant and used to be sold on the High street.I can only find them sold online now.

8 hours ago, belgica said:

Better avoiding the laundrette as it is one of the main places on board for rows and fights to start,  people have been put off ships after fights have started over removing peoples laundry, hogging the machines etc.

It would be more fun if they put a bar in there.

10 hours ago, belgica said:

Better avoiding the laundrette as it is one of the main places on board for rows and fights to start,  people have been put off ships after fights have started over removing peoples laundry, hogging the machines etc.

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

It would be more fun if they put a bar in there.

Sounds as though they really need a bouncer on the door! 

Strange though I have heard lots of horror stories but never seen any fights myself, although I did see one lady put her clothes in a washer with an "Out of Order" sign on it, she put the sign back in the cupboard, successfully turned on the machine and walked out.  Seemed a great ploy and I have considered using it myself, but never had the nerve.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, jeanlyon said:

On every single  cruise line there will always be some passenger who cannot be bothered to return in 48 mins or whatever to retrieve their clothes and who go balistic when someone quite correctly removes them from a machine and puts them in a basket ...thats assuming such passengers are not hogging the baskets in their rooms 

No cruise line will back up such rude inconsiderate and downright selfish passengers either ...just call security 

I know getting a machine can be a struggle sometimes and when i do get one - as long as someone has taken reasonable care to put my stuff in a basket etc I have no problem them taking out my finished washing to put theirs in if im not back on the minute. I will also take peeps stuff out and either put in dryer if its standard easy care stuff or put in a basket if its expensive or fragile looking. .. there are only a limited number of hours they can run and only 4 pairs of machines. If i remember correctly ventura and Azura have 2 laundries per deck but Britannia only has 1 per deck.

Those that get upset should either "get a life" ( bound to wind em up more) or stay and watch their wash or dont use the machines.. they probably hog the sunbeds too....;-) 

There should be no need for laundrette rage as long as someone has taken care with your items. 

We did use the tablets sold in the bits on bobs store on our first cruise but generally put enough capsules into a smaller plastic container to take with us ever since.

Absolutely agree the sheets are very good. Very definitely some times are better than others pretty much same as shopping in a supermarket. I often set the alarm on my phone to go off in 45 minutes usually avoids potential arguments. I also find its a good place to chat to fellow passengers.

• Like 1