Veranda Suite Recommendations

jrmuk

We are planning our first Silversea cruise aboard the Spirit next summer.

We have previously sailed on Seabourn (Odyssey, Quest and the little Spirit) and Crystal (Symphony and Serenity).

We want a veranda suite but have no experience of this ship and so wanted to ask if there are any tips seasoned Spirit sailors could offer.

Our priority is a quiet room, on our first Odyssey cruise we were forward and very near the anchor deployment which woke us every morning when we were anchored.

I'm quite happy to pay extra for a Deluxe Veranda if it warrants it, but if not, would prefer to spend it on some nice wine for our wedding anniversary which we are celebrating during this cruise

Many thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, jrmuk said:

I'm quite happy to pay extra for a Deluxe Veranda if it warrants it, but if not, would prefer to spend it on some nice wine for our wedding anniversary which we are celebrating during this cruise.

Welcome to the SS forum jrmuk.  Hope you enjoy your voyage!

The primary difference between the Verandas on the Spirit are their location on the ship.  If you would prefer to enjoy a special bottle of wine from the Connoisseur list, then I would request a Classic Veranda near the elevators.  Your suite will be just like those on the decks above you, yet you’ll save a few hundred dollars to spend on wine. 😊

• Thanks 1

jrmuk, There is one other difference which you might want to consider.  There are a few mid ship deluxe verandas on decks 6, 7, and 8 of the Spirit which have a bathroom with no tub, but they have a very large shower with a rain shower as well as a regular shower wand.  We were in one of these suites on deck 7 until last Monday and really enjoyed it.  We have booked the same suite for next July. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I would not want to be by the launderettes.

Just an FYI... we’ve been next to a launderette on two separate ships.  Never heard a sound.  Ever.

Not saying it’s my preferred suite, but a suite next to a launderette shouldn’t be avoided if it’s where you want to be on the ship.

• Like 1

Slightly ott. ...... we have just booked a trip on the Spirit and gone for a vista rather than a veranda. We hardly ever used the balcony last trip and the price differential is £1200 per person !!! 
Murphys Law suggests that if there is anything to see it will on the other side 😏 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Slightly ott. ...... we have just booked a trip on the Spirit and gone for a vista rather than a veranda. We hardly ever used the balcony last trip and the price differential is £1200 per person !!! 
Murphys Law suggests that if there is anything to see it will on the other side 😏 

Our sentiments exactly. We can almost see the attraction of a veranda, somewhere like the Med or Caribbean - but even then only if you're on the sunward side and only for the short time in the day that the sun is not in the overhead. Really can't see the appeal in temperate or cold climates

• Like 1

Yup ... ours is London (Southampton???? ... someone is geographically challenged!) down through France / Biscay to Northern Spain and Portugal ... in September .. so pleasantly temperate. No need of a balcony.

The savings with the cheaper price will give us a short mini break somewhere ..... effectively for free !

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the word POSH comes from Port Out Starboard Home so that the cabin was in the shade from midday meaning it was cooler at night.

When I have a veranda I think, "was it worth the extra money", when I have a picture window I think "I wish I had a veranda"

5 hours ago, jrmuk said:

When I have a veranda I think, "was it worth the extra money", when I have a picture window I think "I wish I had a veranda"

Totally understand.  We love the Veranda in warm weather voyages (Hong Kong to Singapore, most of South America, the Med, etc.), but tend to opt for the Vista in cold weather climes, including our voyage to South Georgia and Antarctica this January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrmuk said:

We took the plunge today, in the end we went for a Silver Suite...

Well, THAT takes care of that. 😁  

Sorry that we didn’t discuss Silver Suites here for you.  When I read “Veranda”, the thought of a Silver Suite never crossed my mind, because it’s entirely different class of room.

Enjoy your voyage!

• Like 2

The Silver Suite was very left field and not in our thinking.

Then I had a rush of blood to the head and asked for a quote and suite availability.

Before I knew it I had paid a deposit.

Sometimes you have to let your heart rule your head.

I did the same once with Seabourn when the PH spa suites were first released, TA mentioned them, I looked at them and immediately booked one. I was worried I'd overspent for a while but we loved the cruise and never thought of the cost again.

Hopefully it will be the same this time too.

I just need to buy a very large case so I can take a months worth of washing to be be laundered and dry cleaned.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thanks!  I think I read somewhere that there are different champagnes/wines available for royal suite that aren’t available (Unless you pay extra) for medallion.  Do you know if this is the case?   Thanks again for your help!

2 minutes ago, lionsfan99 said:

I think I read somewhere that there are different champagnes/wines available for royal suite that aren’t available (Unless you pay extra) for medallion.

For the price difference, I would hope so.  But, I'm afraid I don't know.  Hopefully, someone with firsthand experience will chime in here.

14 hours ago, jrmuk said:

The Silver Suite was very left field and not in our thinking.

Then I had a rush of blood to the head and asked for a quote and suite availability.

Before I knew it I had paid a deposit.

Sometimes you have to let your heart rule your head.

I did the same once with Seabourn when the PH spa suites were first released, TA mentioned them, I looked at them and immediately booked one. I was worried I'd overspent for a while but we loved the cruise and never thought of the cost again.

Hopefully it will be the same this time too.

I just need to buy a very large case so I can take a months worth of washing to be be laundered and dry cleaned.....

Last November, we upgraded to the Silver Suite on the Silver Whisper cruise from Barbados to Barbados to Manaus in Brazil and back. We decided to upgrade since my brother was also going to be onboard in a Veranda Suite, and the guys didn't want to dress up more than a sports jacket if they could help it. Our fantastic butler had no problem serving an extra guest for canapes on many days, and dinner in our suite on all but one formal night. He was rewarded for his efforts, and we totally enjoyed our cruise, with our onboard experience even better than many of our cruise stops.

The only thing I disliked about our Silver Suite was the long trip to the toilet at night. It was either through the walk-in closet and the shower/bath tub area, or out through the dining room, living room, hall and into the toilet/sink area. Having too large a cabin can be so hard to take. OK, I'm just kidding. ... we really loved the Silver Suite. And, what we didn't know until we arrived in our cabin was that we had laundry included. Don't tell my brother since he happily used the laundrette halfway through the cruise so we didn't mention it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2