Logistics Questions - March, Bliss out of NY

kpark895

Hi everyone.  I've read a lot here, but have a few specific questions.  My daughter and I are flying into Newark Airport on Saturday, March 21st, arriving a little after 9AM.  In my search for a hotel for Saturday night, I see many have recommended the Doubletree Hilton Newark Penn Station.  From what I understand, this is not the airport Hilton, but one located close to Penn Station in NJ, with an indoor corridor to the actual Penn Station.  How far from the airport is this?  I noticed on their website they have a shuttle to the airport?  Can I assume they have one from the airport?  Any other good suggestions about a relatively inexpensive hotel, close to the airport, with easy access to the city?

Also, daughter wants to spend some time in the City.  I understand the Path train would be the best way, but that on weekends, it ends at water's edge, and you then need to take a ferry to NY.  The ferry arrives close to the 9/11 memorial area, which is fine with me.  From there, we can get around using the subway.  But the sticky at the top of this forum doesn't exactly explain how to get from the Path train to this ferry.  How do we do this?

Sunday morning, what is the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise port in Manhattan?  And finally, the Sunday we arrive back, we have a 12:15 PM flight back out of Newark.  From following the answers to someone else's questions about a similar issue, I figured out that self-disembarkation would be best.  That's fine, but then what is the best way to get from the port to the airport?

Thanks in advance!

37 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

From what I understand, this is not the airport Hilton, but one located close to Penn Station in NJ, with an indoor corridor to the actual Penn Station.  How far from the airport is this?  I noticed on their website they have a shuttle to the airport?  Can I assume they have one from the airport?  Any other good suggestions about a relatively inexpensive hotel, close to the airport, with easy access to the city?

Its actually a former Hilton-- I believe the change to a Doubletree was in the last year or so. Location wise its very good for getting in and out of Manhattan if you didn't want to stay in Manhattan overnight. They always used to have a shuttle that would pick up at the P4 monorail stop and it was based on availability. Its a quick Uber as well-- no more than 15-20 minutes away if theres a little traffic (which can be the case quite often). 

39 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Also, daughter wants to spend some time in the City.  I understand the Path train would be the best way, but that on weekends, it ends at water's edge, and you then need to take a ferry to NY.  The ferry arrives close to the 9/11 memorial area, which is fine with me.  From there, we can get around using the subway.  But the sticky at the top of this forum doesn't exactly explain how to get from the Path train to this ferry.  How do we do this?

From Penn Station with the PATH closure to World Trade Center the easiest way to get in would just be to take a NJ Transit train into Penn Station New York and then subway or taxi/Uber downtown. You can of course take the ferry downtown using the PATH as they outline on the website but there are other options out of Penn Station Newark. 

44 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Sunday morning, what is the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise port in Manhattan?  And finally, the Sunday we arrive back, we have a 12:15 PM flight back out of Newark.  From following the answers to someone else's questions about a similar issue, I figured out that self-disembarkation would be best.  That's fine, but then what is the best way to get from the port to the airport?

Best way and least expensive way are going to be different things here. Best way with luggage would be to take an Uber or a car service like Carmel/Dial 7. Pricing is reasonable considering you are going point to point and on a Sunday you wont have much traffic. Least expensive way would be to take NJ Transit from Penn Station Newark to Penn Station New York and get a cab the short distance to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

On the way back you will most likely not want to chance it on public transportation because you will have a bit of a time crunch-- not impossible to make by any means though just not a ton of time to waste with multiple transfers. The cruise line might also have transfers available which might make sense here. Personally I would just jump in an Uber after self disembarkation and you'll be to Newark Airport around 8:30-9am. 

Since you will be leaving out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, your daughter would like to spend some time in Manhattan, and you will only have part of your arrival day (Saturday) to do that, is there a major reason why you aren't staying in Manhattan for that one night?  I realize you may well have a less expensive hotel room in Newark, but you'll also be wasting limited time going into Manhattan, back out that same day, and back in the next morning.   If you stayed in Manhattan, you would have more time there, including some of Sunday morning.  Also, on Saturday night, you haven't mentioned going to the theatre, but it's much easier if you don't have to go back to NJ afterwards. 

Just a thought.

22 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Its actually a former Hilton-- I believe the change to a Doubletree was in the last year or so. Location wise its very good for getting in and out of Manhattan if you didn't want to stay in Manhattan overnight. They always used to have a shuttle that would pick up at the P4 monorail stop and it was based on availability. Its a quick Uber as well-- no more than 15-20 minutes away if theres a little traffic (which can be the case quite often)...... 

Thanks for the help.

16 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Since you will be leaving out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, your daughter would like to spend some time in Manhattan, and you will only have part of your arrival day (Saturday) to do that, is there a major reason why you aren't staying in Manhattan for that one night?  I realize you may well have a less expensive hotel room in Newark, but you'll also be wasting limited time going into Manhattan, back out that same day, and back in the next morning.   If you stayed in Manhattan, you would have more time there, including some of Sunday morning.  Also, on Saturday night, you haven't mentioned going to the theatre, but it's much easier if you don't have to go back to NJ afterwards. 

Just a thought.

Price at the Newark hotel was relatively cheap - I saw an initial price of $126 (probably plus tax and whatever all else).  Just figured the price for a Manhattan hotel would be a lot more.  Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive hotel in Manhattan?

Probably not going to the theater at night, so that doesn't come into play.

25 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

I saw an initial price of $126 (probably plus tax and whatever all else).  Just figured the price for a Manhattan hotel would be a lot more.  Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive hotel in Manhattan?

You're actually in luck-- that time in March is slow and rates in Manhattan are low. Saw the Intercontinental The Barclay is bookable for $176 on Expedia for that night-- incredibly low for that hotel (or really any 4 star hotel in that location). There are several others that are bookable in the $160-200 range. When you factor in time and transportation you are about the same vs staying in Newark for $126. 

Just be a little careful when booking-- there are a few nicer hotels that sell rooms on the lower side but the rooms are microscopic (The Hudson is an example of this but there are others). Would be fine for a couple for one night but would be very tight for a dad and daughter in terms of privacy and space. 

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You're actually in luck-- that time in March is slow and rates in Manhattan are low. Saw the Intercontinental The Barclay is bookable for $176 on Expedia for that night-- incredibly low for that hotel (or really any 4 star hotel in that location). There are several others that are bookable in the $160-200 range. When you factor in time and transportation you are about the same vs staying in Newark for $126. 

Just be a little careful when booking-- there are a few nicer hotels that sell rooms on the lower side but the rooms are microscopic (The Hudson is an example of this but there are others). Would be fine for a couple for one night but would be very tight for a dad and daughter in terms of privacy and space. 

Actually, it is mother and daughter, and we're only there for one night.  We've stayed together in an inside cabin on a cruise before, so not much privacy or space there, either.  We managed just fine.

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, There are a number of hotels listed on Hotels.com in Manhattan on the west side for your date. They run between $150-200, a bit more than what you’re getting in NJ, but perhaps more convenient. I happen to like Yotel, but the room is quite small, (Pretty much like a cruise ship cabin!!) There are others that might be better for two people.

Staying in NYC would save you all the back and forth, (except of course, the trip from/to Newark airport). I’m on the Bliss on 3/1. Enjoy!