Private Tour-where to go?

mitsugirly

Thinking about renting a jeep for a private tour and we can go anywhere we want.

I need some suggestions of some great places to visit while in Cozumel and away from the beach strip that all the cruisers go to.

Some suggestions the tour place recommends are:

Punta Sur Eco Park (which I have always wanted to go to)

Visiting the "wild side" and the blow holes.

They mention there are a lot of unspoiled beaches over there that are beautiful (but of course no facilities or electric, which is fine with us for a short stay). Any that you have been to and loved?

What else is over that way that is of interest to see/do? (No ruins, history places or museums please).

• 2 weeks later...

Copying and pasting from cleg in another post since no one has come up with suggestions.

Regarding places to visit with kids anti-clockwise 

southern beach clubs ( for brief stop maybe PAYG  Paradise Beach, or Sanchos for pool use/ Palancar for beach only);
possibly Mayan Cacao company ( never been)

Punta Sur for lighthouse, crocodiles, lagoon and beach;

blowholes and El Mirador; Chen Rio or El Pescador(?);

Punta Morena for area to run

Turtle rescue (depending on time of year); 

Pueblo de Maiz (still waiting to visit)

The Mayan Ruins on Cozumel are very small but worth a quick stop if you have your own transport (bring some bug spray).  Not as impressive as any of the popular ruins on the mainland, but with your own jeep they are easy to access.  Not sure how much you are walking around with your leg injury.

50 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

The Mayan Ruins on Cozumel are very small but worth a quick stop if you have your own transport (bring some bug spray).  Not as impressive as any of the popular ruins on the mainland, but with your own jeep they are easy to access.  Not sure how much you are walking around with your leg injury.

Yea a lot of walking is still out of the question for me. I've never really been interested in the ruins, even before having a bum leg. But if you can pull off the road and see them, I might do that. If it involves walking a distance, I won't be able to.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:01 AM, mitsugirly said:

Yea a lot of walking is still out of the question for me. I've never really been interested in the ruins, even before having a bum leg. But if you can pull off the road and see them, I might do that. If it involves walking a distance, I won't be able to.

Ruins are not a top priority on Cozumel as John says but for  people interested in ruins who don’t want to go to the mainland they are a possibility. We found them “interesting” as an “addition” on a land vacation, since we enjoyed the walk through the jungle and the nature aspect but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them and not with your limited mobility. 

As much as we enjoy the east side, given your history and preferences, I am not sure it will be the best fit for your family, IMO but I understand wanting to try something new. If you go I hope you find something to enjoy. My “copy and pasted” suggestions above still hold true possibly with the addition of surfing at Punta Morena if you have members of your family looking for more adventure.  Be advised that currents and and undertow can be very dangerous on the east side and swimming areas are limited. Be sure to take local advice, there have been desths.The turtle rescue may appeal to you if you are at the right time if year. The blow holes are hit or miss whether they are “blowing”. 

I am not a big advocate of self-drive on Cozumel, especially on a cruise ship day. Be sure you have checked the insurance and liability terms of the company you are using.

Returning to Paradise Beach would be my suggestion or concentrating on Punta Sur if you do the tour. 

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Ruins are not a top priority on Cozumel as John says but for  people interested in ruins who don’t want to go to the mainland they are a possibility. We found them “interesting” as an “addition” on a land vacation, since we enjoyed the walk through the jungle and the nature aspect but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them and not with your limited mobility. 

As much as we enjoy the east side, given your history and preferences, I am not sure it will be the best fit for your family, IMO but I understand wanting to try something new. If you go I hope you find something to enjoy. My “copy and pasted” suggestions above still hold true possibly with the addition of surfing at Punta Morena if you have members of your family looking for more adventure.  Be advised that currents and and undertow can be very dangerous on the east side and swimming areas are limited. Be sure to take local advice, there have been desths.The turtle rescue may appeal to you if you are at the right time if year. The blow holes are hit or miss whether they are “blowing”. 

I am not a big advocate of self-drive on Cozumel, especially on a cruise ship day. Be sure you have checked the insurance and liability terms of the company you are using.

Returning to Paradise Beach would be my suggestion or concentrating on Punta Sur if you do the tour. 

Yea, we are not going to do anything strenuous this time around and getting in the water if it's in a cove area with calm water will be strenuous enough for us. My hubby and daughter will be helping me out a lot so they'll have to stick by me this trip. The older kids and grandkids aren't coming this time.

This isn't a self-drive, so we won't have to worry about that. It IS a private tour with just us and a tour guide. So, no worries about insurance or liability or anything. ;) 

44 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Yea, we are not going to do anything strenuous this time around and getting in the water if it's in a cove area with calm water will be strenuous enough for us. My hubby and daughter will be helping me out a lot so they'll have to stick by me this trip. The older kids and grandkids aren't coming this time.

This isn't a self-drive, so we won't have to worry about that. It IS a private tour with just us and a tour guide. So, no worries about insurance or liability or anything. 😉

Good to hear you have a driver - i thought I had read previously you had to self- dtive in and out of city limits at least, because of taxi union rules. Enjoy!

51 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Good to hear you have a driver - i thought I had read previously you had to self- dtive in and out of city limits at least, because of taxi union rules. Enjoy!

Hmm, well if that's the case, the excursion company has not mentioned it to us. I do know that sometimes they give you the option to drive them yourself while following a tour guide in another jeep ahead of you or them riding with you and you driving or just them driving. But, I think it depends on if you request to drive it yourself and probably it depends on how many people you have with you.

Mitsugirly...I would recommend Punta Sur and a drive on the East side.  It is really beautiful...both are!  We always stop at Playa Bonita for a great margarita and the food is pretty good too.  It's an easy walk from the car.  Coconuts will require quite a few steps to get up to the bar/restaurant.  

We have done 3 or 4 vacations on Cozumel and would always rent a car and have rented a car for cruise stops a few times also.  We always rent from Magarite with Rentadora Isis.  She is very honest and easy to work with.  We've never had any problems with the taxi union.  

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.  I just love Cozumel!  I really need to get back as I'm just about out of vanilla.  Seems like a good enough reason to me!?!

15 hours ago, E@syPe@zy said:

Mitsugirly...I would recommend Punta Sur and a drive on the East side.  It is really beautiful...both are!  We always stop at Playa Bonita for a great margarita and the food is pretty good too.  It's an easy walk from the car.  Coconuts will require quite a few steps to get up to the bar/restaurant.  

We have done 3 or 4 vacations on Cozumel and would always rent a car and have rented a car for cruise stops a few times also.  We always rent from Magarite with Rentadora Isis.  She is very honest and easy to work with.  We've never had any problems with the taxi union.  

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.  I just love Cozumel!  I really need to get back as I'm just about out of vanilla.  Seems like a good enough reason to me!?!

Just FYI so you will be prepared on your next visit, Playa Bonita has been permanently closed for some time now (maybe 12 months). 

Renting a car has nothing to do with the taxi unions. Taking excursion transport from certain places can be which is why you have to go off-site in Cozumel to meet any independent operators. They cannot pick up directly at the port unless they have union permission. 

I have no idea why people have reported previously having to drive in and out of city limits If they have met the vehicle off-site but it has been  mentioned in more than one review. 

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, mitsugirly said:

Hmm, well if that's the case, the excursion company has not mentioned it to us. I do know that sometimes they give you the option to drive them yourself while following a tour guide in another jeep ahead of you or them riding with you and you driving or just them driving. But, I think it depends on if you request to drive it yourself and probably it depends on how many people you have with you.

We did this same trip with .net last year.  It is fantastic, we had to meet over by the Hard Rock and the jeep was in a parking lot down the street.  I did not know I had to drive either but it was no big deal as I only had to drive to the 1st stop, in our case it was the Tequila factory.  Also the jeeps are stick shift but easy to shift and they pack a cooler with beer and water.   After that our driver went where ever we told her until it was time to go eat then she took us to a restaurant over by the Money Bar.  My wife says it was the best excursion we have ever done in Coz because of the east side of the island is very relaxing.  One of the beach stop did have nice sand and easy entry the only issue was you had to walk down some stairs to get to the beach. 

Edited by vettecruiser1
fix

• 2 weeks later...

This entire set up for meeting and getting the jeep is a cluster flark! We had so many issues from start to finish. We did NOT drive at all. Our driver drove in and out of town and the entire trip. We had such a great experience last time with this company but this time....we had several issues. :(

11 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

This entire set up for meeting and getting the jeep is a cluster flark! We had so many issues from start to finish. We did NOT drive at all. Our driver drove in and out of town and the entire trip. We had such a great experience last time with this company but this time....we had several issues. 😞

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that sounds like previous reviews - I was hoping after your last experience things had improved.

I know you said they are a family business but I am not convinced they can run such a wide range if tours themselves  unless it is “family” in a very wide sense.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that sounds like previous reviews - I was hoping after your last experience things had improved.

I know you said they are a family business but I am not convinced they can run such a wide range if tours themselves  unless it is “family” in a very wide sense.

Yea, I'm not sure what the issue was. Last time the only issue we had with them was having to sit around and wait forever for everyone to show up when we were told to be there for the first 15 minutes. This time was a mess! We did end up docking at a different location but still they have meeting places from each pier. There were other issues as well, but I'll cover that in my review.

oh this is not good, my wife was wanting to do this excursion again.  We loved having the freedom to do what we wanted to do in an open air jeep and not being part of a pack like the other jeep excursions.  I guess I think we might try the trike excursion as that one looks like a lot of fun and different.

4 minutes ago, vettecruiser1 said:

oh this is not good, my wife was wanting to do this excursion again.  We loved having the freedom to do what we wanted to do in an open air jeep and not being part of a pack like the other jeep excursions.  I guess I think we might try the trike excursion as that one looks like a lot of fun and different.

They did not even take the hard top off our jeep. Even though they say you can do what you want to do, it felt to me like they are pretty much set to certain places to go and you pick if you do or don't want to go there (at least that was the feeling we got). But, our driver allowed us to stay at each place as long as we wanted (which seemed to felt rushed toward the end).