Has anyone used luggage covers for soft sided luggage?

cravingthis

It's luggage. It will get beat up. The best extra money you could spend would be on a distinctive wraparound strap that both prevents unintended openings while also marking your luggage in a unique way.

Hopefully, you spent a few extra dollars and invested in something like Travelpro, which comes with a lifetime guarantee.

• Thanks 1

I’m going to give the opposite of most of the other answers you’ll get here.  I worked on the ramp in a small airport for years, and I saw all the many ways bags could get snagged and sometimes ruined by equipment.  I like the smoothest possible luggage, with flat, small, luggage tags closely attached, no extra straps, buckles, loops, etc.  When your bags get caught in the machinery, it’s the weakest part that gives way, and that is often the fabric of the case rather than the strap or loop that got caught.  It can also delay your bags when they are caught in the workings of the luggage transit system.  

I wouldn’t expect the slip covers to last more than a few flights before they got torn to bits, and I’d give the nylon belts a miss.  YMMV, of course. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I got some Briggs and Riley recently.  Lifetime warranty for ANY problems, including damage from the airlines.

I got the slip covers.  They have survived 12 international flights so far.  And have kept the bags from getting scratched.

I see some damage to the covers, but based on what I see, they should be good for another 24 - 36 flights.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Hopefully, you spent a few extra dollars and invested in something like Travelpro, which comes with a lifetime guarantee.

The Travelpro warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship but does not cover wear or damage caused by abuse, mishandling, accidental damage, inappropriate selection, or carelessness caused by an airline or other common carrier.

No different that many other luggage companies.  I used to use Delsey, which has the same coverage, one bag was damaged by the airline the first trip I used it (multiple legs).  NO COVERAGE.

So, if you are going to pay more, maybe more to Briggs and Riley:

• Our warranty covers the repair of all functional aspects of your Briggs & Riley bag for the life of your bag.
  • Our warranty does not cover cosmetic wear or cleaning, damage of contents, or the replacement of lost or stolen bags and/ or its contents.
  • If your bag or its contents are damaged by an airline and you wish to hold them responsible, we suggest that you claim with the carrier before leaving the airport.If you choose not to do this and instead wish for us to repair your bag, we will be happy to do so at no charge.

16 hours ago, red-dragon said:

We have new black soft sided luggage and I wanted to keep them clean, as well as make them more identifiable than just something on the handles.  They sell a ton of them on Amazon.ca, but I don't know how well they fit.

Thanks!

We clean the luggage after every trip.  Having a cover is appealing, especially if it is washable.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

We clean the luggage after every trip.  Having a cover is appealing, especially if it is washable.   

Thanks! Ours is like a black canvas/fabric like material.  We use microfiber cloths and liquid soap. 
How do you clean yours?

5 hours ago, SRF said:

I got some Briggs and Riley recently.  Lifetime warranty for ANY problems, including damage from the airlines.

I got the slip covers.  They have survived 12 international flights so far.  And have kept the bags from getting scratched.

I see some damage to the covers, but based on what I see, they should be good for another 24 - 36 flights.

Good to know your covers lasted that long!  Thanks!

9 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I’m going to give the opposite of most of the other answers you’ll get here.  I worked on the ramp in a small airport for years, and I saw all the many ways bags could get snagged and sometimes ruined by equipment.  I like the smoothest possible luggage, with flat, small, luggage tags closely attached, no extra straps, buckles, loops, etc.  When your bags get caught in the machinery, it’s the weakest part that gives way, and that is often the fabric of the case rather than the strap or loop that got caught.  It can also delay your bags when they are caught in the workings of the luggage transit system.  

I wouldn’t expect the slip covers to last more than a few flights before they got torn to bits, and I’d give the nylon belts a miss.  YMMV, of course. 🙂

I appreciate your feedback, thank you!

I thought the nylon luggage straps would also  help the employees to grab heavy suitcases easier?  

11 hours ago, flowslow said:

Luggage covers are stretchable and come in different sizes so they usually fit just right. It gives additional protection to your luggage and a great way to spot your luggage even from afar. 

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It's luggage. It will get beat up. The best extra money you could spend would be on a distinctive wraparound strap that both prevents unintended openings while also marking your luggage in a unique way.

Thanks for your response.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, red-dragon said:

Thanks! Ours is like a black canvas/fabric like material.  We use microfiber cloths and liquid soap. 
How do you clean yours?

Just a generic cleaner in a spray bottle.  I think the current one came from one of the big box places like Costco.  Probably no more than soap and water.    We also use the microfiber cloths.  The microfiber cloths seem to have really become a kind of staple around the house.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Just a generic cleaner in a spray bottle.  I think the current one came from one of the big box places like Costco.  Probably no more than soap and water.    We also use the microfiber cloths.  The microfiber cloths seem to have really become a kind of staple around the house.   

Thanks again!