Entertainment on longer cruises.

2+2

We will be taking a 16 day Panama canal cruise on the Joy. I  know that Footloose,  Elements, the Beatles tribute, and comedians are scheduled.   I have only been on seven day cruise in the past, and that entertainment schedule is the same. 

I am wondering if they bring on additional entertainment to fill the 16 days. I know they repeat the same performances on a back to back cruise,  but this must be different.  

Maybe someone that was just on the recent16 day Joy Panama canal cruise knows.  And I would love to hear about any other tips or advice for taking a longer cruise.

8 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

We will be taking a 16 day Panama canal cruise on the Joy. I  know that Footloose,  Elements, the Beatles tribute, and comedians are scheduled.   I have only been on seven day cruise in the past, and that entertainment schedule is the same. 

I am wondering if they bring on additional entertainment to fill the 16 days. I know they repeat the same performances on a back to back cruise,  but this must be different.  

Maybe someone that was just on the recent16 day Joy Panama canal cruise knows.  And I would love to hear about any other tips or advice for taking a longer cruise.

Each show, two days 2 performances each night.  Bands rotate from small venues like the cavern bar.  It was pretty light.  I would have liked more entertainment. 

I did The Dawn and The Escape for 14 of days each. Here are my thoughts:

- The Dawn had a new show every night - no repeats - in the theater and also had some matinee shows. Half were the show crew and the other half were other individuals. There was an Irish entertainer, a magic duo, a hypnotist, a comedian, The Elements Show which combined a few acts, and Broadway singer.

- The main shows on The Dawn outside of the theater were done by this populrduo called Jose and Patti. DH and I were not fans, but they had a big following. 

- Lots of travia and game shows on The Dawn in big comfy lounges.

- The Escape had three main shows in the theater that repeated. Other nights there were other entertainers - comedians, a Broadway singer, a magician...Long lines to get in, so we always came half an hour early. 

- The Escape had Howl and The Moon and three comedians rotating at Headliners. Also there were shows at the dinner theater. We did Wine Lovers for lunch and a few different evening shows, some free and some with a fee. Also an Escape Room there, which we enjoyed. 

- There were a few different lounge singers on The Esacape spread out. All really good.

- Trivia and game aplenty on The Escape,  but most held in the crowded atrium. We would have to camp out early to avoid sitting on metal folding chairs. Not a great set-up.

Overall we enjoyed both experiences, although The Escape was MUCH  more crowded - and we were sailing well under capacity. We enjoyed having a new show each night on The Dawn, but quality and variety was better on The Escape. Our next longer cruise is scheduled for The Gem, and we're looking forward to seeing how that compares.

• Like 1

The daily appears to show something going on in the Theater every night.  The NCL app for our Feb 2-14 cruise on Joy only shows reservations available for Footloose, Elements and the comedy club.   So, I assume everything else is first come for seating?    Is there any standing room area in the theater?  Looks to be set up like a movie theater rather than a lounge setting like other cruises I've been on.   Any idea what the seating capacity is in the theater?  

11 hours ago, 2+2 said:

I’ve never been on a Panama Canal Cruise but we enjoyed a recent Ncl gem 14 nights for Halloween and the activities were amazing. Each night had a wonderful theme party with live band. The band Prism was fantastic. ABBA Queen and other tributes. The shows were equally outstanding with different shows each night.

Having been loyal to RCL for the past few years we’re very excited about Ncl and look forward to the bliss this winter.
We’ve found it directly related to cruise director and activities staff as they were excellent on the gem.

I was wondering the same.  We are booked for a 21 day Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss in April.  We did a 14 day on the Sun in February and even though the shows were not exactly the same, some performers appeared twice or three times in the theater.

7 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I was wondering the same.  We are booked for a 21 day Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss in April.  We did a 14 day on the Sun in February and even though the shows were not exactly the same, some performers appeared twice or three times in the theater.

looking at that Panama Canal cruise.  Do you know whether it has come down with the "30%" sale or whether the price is much the same as when you booked?  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

looking at that Panama Canal cruise.  Do you know whether it has come down with the "30%" sale or whether the price is much the same as when you booked?  Thanks.

I booked this cruise in May, 2019 when it had the 20% off for Latitudes.  For a BD cabin the price was $1743pp plus $100 OBC plus reduced air.  Now it only has the 30% off and the BD is a guarantee for $1777 which is not that much more.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Escape for 14 days last Feb.  There were only 2 shows in the theatre ("Choir of Men" and "After Midnight").  There were a few cabaret style events (DH not a big fan; I was neutral).  As I recall, there wasn't even a "Welcome Aboard" show on that trip.  The "theatre entertainment" is important to us so it was really disappointing.