Eurodam Library

cole'snana

13 minutes ago, cole'snana said:

Does the Eurodam have a small library onboard?

If you want to call it a library - yes, there are some small shelves in the Crow's Nest (Explorations Central).  On the port side near the lecture room.  Mostly books that have been left by other cruisers.  Not the big library offering of the past on HAL.

Both Aquahound and Shmoo here are correct.  I was on the Eurodam in early November and the "Library" is pretty much as they described.  They do have the travel books and a few other reference books as Aqua mentioned along with some interactive tables with electronic maps that can be used to explore the ports.  The port side is the swap a book area that you find on most HAL ships.  There are two sets of shelves with books on both sides of the shelves as you walk into the Crows Nest.  

I like to read so I usually bring 6 or 7 books with me and then leave them on the ship when I finish them.  I did also find a couple of other books to read when I had finished mine so it worked OK for me.  Selection is somewhat limited as you get what others have left.  

Edited by travelnap

Other than the travel books and a stack of the Oprah's  book club shown in the photos, there's no official library. There is a bookcase where cruisers deposit books. They hold over the prior itinerary's leavings, but there's not much at the end. I suspect people grab reading material for the flight home ;)  

We bring books we don't mind leaving behind and put them there after they're read. There were about usually 3-4 shelves of books, each containing 8-12 inches width of books on our Hawaiian cruise in February. My guess is that people bring the most books on itineraries with lots of port days. I suspect I'll see a lot of "beach reads" on my upcoming Caribbean itinerary on the Koningsdam.

I suggest hitting a used book store or library sale to collect cheap reading material and leave it behind. Asking friends to save magazines for you or to thin out their own collections is also a good bet. Note that you can ship books at a cheap "book rate" with the USPS to your pre-cruise hotel if you don't have space/weight in your luggage. Works if you order books online, too (I still suggest used to save money). It's ok if they arrive ahead of you (by less than a week). Just call the hotel to let them know. 

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

A shame as HAL had great library's on their ships. 

Bottom line is that HAL isn't making money if you spend most of the day on the promenade deck reading a book. 

true, but some liked to read them on the LIdo or at the aft pool (or retreat) with a drink.

Whether someone brings their own book or choices to use an IBook, or electronic books, it’s all the same, except we have lost a little something of HAL IMO.

It was one of the things that made HAL stand out.  I still remember looks on “new cruisers” on the Rotterdam.  They were enchanted.  

It was something I enjoyed  and will miss.

13 hours ago, kazu said:

true, but some liked to read them on the LIdo or at the aft pool (or retreat) with a drink.

Whether someone brings their own book or choices to use an IBook, or electronic books, it’s all the same, except we have lost a little something of HAL IMO.

It was one of the things that made HAL stand out.  I still remember looks on “new cruisers” on the Rotterdam.  They were enchanted.  

It was something I enjoyed  and will miss.

Jacqui, I can't agree more.  I did a TA on the Rotterdam out of Rome one year and just loved that library.  The old Ryndam had a very good library too.  I doubt if the new Ryndam will have anything close to a proper library on it when she comes out.  Those libraries were one of the reasons I chose to sail on HAL and I do miss them.