Kudos to Celebrity - LIGHTLY Attended Activity

Sascol

We sailed the Edge transatlantic a few weeks ago.  Months in advance we signed up for a wine blending/tasting.  It was held one afternoon towards the end of the cruise in one of the dining rooms.  We got to the event and as it turns out my wife and I were the only two that had signed up for it.  Almost 3000 people on the ship and we were the only two - go figure.

Anyway, based on the low interest I think Celebrity would have been warranted to cancel it and refund our money.  To their credit, they did NOT cancel it and we had our own private session.  It was very nice and we appreciated it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sascol said:

We sailed the Edge transatlantic a few weeks ago.  Months in advance we signed up for a wine blending/tasting.  It was held one afternoon towards the end of the cruise in one of the dining rooms.  We got to the event and as it turns out my wife and I were the only two that had signed up for it.  Almost 3000 people on the ship and we were the only two - go figure.

Anyway, based on the low interest I think Celebrity would have been warranted to cancel it and refund our money.  To their credit, they did NOT cancel it and we had our own private session.  It was very nice and we appreciated it.

Right on. 

1 hour ago, Sascol said:

That was moment of grace for Celebrity and you were truly in the right place at the right time.

It reminds me of a story about how long ago there was just one paying customer at a ZZ Top concert when their first record has just come out.  They bought him a Coke and played their entire show just for him.

Edited by Wolf 8
Edited to remove a stray comma
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sascol said:

My husband and I were the only ones who did the Riedel class on Solstice a couple of months ago.  I too was appreciative that they still held it for us, and it was a great class!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KAE27 said:

My husband and I were the only ones who did the Riedel class on Solstice a couple of months ago.  I too was appreciative that they still held it for us, and it was a great class!

Forgive me for straying from the topic, please.

In the past, the description of the Riedel class said that participants could select glasses to be shipped to their home. It no longer says that. We have substantial OBC on a few upcoming cruises, and I had planned to do the class, but I think it's too expensive if there are no longer glasses included. Will you please let me know how this works? TiA

10 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Forgive me for straying from the topic, please.

In the past, the description of the Riedel class said that participants could select glasses to be shipped to their home. It no longer says that. We have substantial OBC on a few upcoming cruises, and I had planned to do the class, but I think it's too expensive if there are no longer glasses included. Will you please let me know how this works? TiA

That's interesting.  Our class was in early September, and we still did get the glasses.  Of course, when I went online to choose, only the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay ones were available, but that wasn't a big deal to me (and I probably would have chosen those anyway).  The class is extremely interesting, but at the price (I believe it was $80ish?) would not be worth it without the glasses, IMO.  Maybe you should book it and then just ask in Cellar Masters when you board to ensure the glasses are still included?

• Thanks 1

I suppose you weren't in the Penthouse suite 😉

I've tried to participate in Whisky tastings and was told minimum 4 signups necessary.  Bartender said about half the evenings have too few participants.

On Reflection last May we had about 12 groups of 6-per-table and had nice wine blending experience.

Favorite is "World Wine Tour' where for $75? each you have an hour to mingle in a room with free pour from about a dozen different wine varieties, half red/white.  Fell in love with Chateauneufdupape only to learn its above my budget for casual drinking - so 'special occasions'.

Happy Cruising

That was indeed an exclusive event. As you say kudos to Celebrity for not cancelling.

OT, but some years ago we turned up for a wine tasting event at Disney’s Vero Beach resort, and we too were the only guests who signed up for it and had a great time with the excellent sommelier, and got to take our favourite wine away with us too.  From memory it was $20 each and included a nice etched Vero Beach wine glass per person. Disney are not known for bargains, but we got one that day!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sascol said:

You are very lucky we were on the Silhouette beginning of Nov & signed up for the wine tasting from around the world & it was way overcrowded, not near as good as a few years ago.