Does Your Luggage Get Pawed Through?

Eve

Hi All~

Just wondering how things are going with the TSA and luggage returning from cruises. I get the willies thinking that some unknown person has pawed my panties that I've neatly packed. Any ideas for combating this? Has anyone found a way to make the clothes visible, but not touchable?

Use super size zip-loc bags. Put all like-clothes in bags together and then sit on each bag to get the air out before fully zipping the bag closed. I gives you twice as much room in your luggage, makes unpacking a breeze, and TSA can see everything in your luggage without touching anything but the bag.

Just a little anectdote to this thread: on leaving the Cancun airport, all luggage is opened and searched BEFORE check in. We visit Mexico 2 or 3 times a year and on one occasion 2 ladies in front of us decided they didn`t want security touching their clothing without going and getting new latex gloves. The security guy complied but then proceeded to take every item out one piece at a time, even things in plastic zip lock bags. This took an eternity and the ladies were left to repack everything.

Moral of the story, Don`t mess with those security guys!!.jean:cool:

Amen to the zip lock bags. We also use the TSA locks, but they open ours anyway and generally leave a standardized form to let us know they've been there. We've only had them check one bag at a time and it has been each time for the last 4 cruises.

I wonder if it's because we also use the rainbow striped belts.....

GN

I get the willies thinking that some unknown person has pawed my panties that I've neatly packed. Any ideas for combating this? Has anyone found a way to make the clothes visible, but not touchable?

the plastic bags as everyone else has mentioned-- since you are concerned with an inspection on the home trip just wash all your personals when you get home

Hi All~

Just wondering how things are going with the TSA and luggage returning from cruises. I get the willies thinking that some unknown person has pawed my panties that I've neatly packed. Any ideas for combating this? Has anyone found a way to make the clothes visible, but not touchable?

First of all TSA does not go through returning cruise passengers luggage!

The TSA aka Transportation Security Administration was created under Homeland Security at our nations Airports..I'm quoting from TSA's WEB site..

"TSA’s mission is to protect the nation’s transportation systems by ensuring the freedom of movement for people and commerce. In February 2002, TSA assumed responsibility for security at the nation’s airports and by the end of the year had deployed a federal work force to meet challenging Congressional deadlines for screening all passengers and baggage. "

United States Customs would be the ones that might go through your luggage on returning from a cruise & usually are looking for illegal drugs..However if they suspect you are smuggling articles such as extra liquor, jewelry etc into the country without claiming it:( they also may go through your luggage..Customs does not open your bags without you being present!:o TSA on the other hand might pull a checked bag at the airport for inspection..The suggestion of placing all your things in large clear plastic bags is an excellent one..

We travel quite a bit for business purposes. Lately neither of us has had a bag pulled for inspection. Back when it seemed like it was frequent, like every other flight, about the only way either of us would notice they'd been in our luggage was the TSA information card laying on top of our clothing when we opened the bag. Nothing seemed disturbed and nothing ever went missing.....though I know from the news that hasn't/isn't always the case.

United States Customs would be the ones that might go through your luggage on returning from a cruise & usually are looking for illegal drugs..

all the above is true but if the returning pax is taking a fllight home then the luggage might be inspected as you leave the ship and again as you check in at the airport for your fllight

all the above is true but if the returning pax is taking a flight home then the luggage might be inspected as you leave the ship and again as you check in at the airport for your fllight

Loungee...You are correct, however U.S. Customs only opens & inspects on arrival at the ships destination in the presence of the Pax...

TSA only inspects luggage at the airport & the Pax does not necessarily have to be present..They will always leave a notice in your luggage if they do inspect it..

I pointed this out, since Pax often complain about luggage being opened by the wrong branch of the Government..

Hi All~

I would think (at least hope!) it's the TSA that gets the willies thinking about pawing through unknown people's dirty panties!

Technically true. But many of us have to fly home from our cruises. While, it's Cusoms that may search your bags at the pier, it's the TSA who goes through our luggage at the airport.

I would think (at least hope!) it's the TSA that gets the willies thinking about pawing through unknown people's dirty panties!

Technically true. But many of us have to fly home from our cruises. While, it's Cusoms that may search your bags at the pier, it's the TSA who goes through our luggage at the airport.

???:confused: I believe I acknowledged that when Loungee pointed it out in my last posting..And the original OP asked about TSA opening her luggage on arrival at the pier..I also went on to explain that Pax often complain about the wrong branch of the Government when their luggage is opened..

Well, they're supposed to leave a note when they go through your luggage, but last year they obviously went through my luggage and tried to open my sonicare toothbrush, which, does not open. It had a couple of deep gouges along what would look to some to be a seam line and a chip out of it - however - no note.

Well, they're supposed to leave a note when they go through your luggage, but last year they obviously went through my luggage and tried to open my sonicare toothbrush, which, does not open. It had a couple of deep gouges along what would look to some to be a seam line and a chip out of it - however - no note.

Hope you made a formal complaint to the TSA..

http://www.tsaclaims.org/

That is un-acceptable & should be reported indicating Date, approx. time of departure (flight times will do) Airport & if possible pictures of the damaged object..:(

I had one piece of checked luggage inspected by the TSA on our return flight from a cruise. It had an old lock that has been missing the key for years. The lock was so that the zipper would open.

After inspecting the bag, the TSA agent must have had a key to fit the lock because when I got the bag, the lock now made it so I couldn't open the zipper. I had to cut it off when I got home from the airport. I found the TSA's inspection note inside.

Serendipity is correct as far as who and when your bags might get searched/inspected. The majority of the time, TSA will open a bag/suitcase and inspect the contents out of view of the owner and always at the airport, after you've checked them in at the airline counter. If they do this, they are supposed to place the small TSA info card on top of your belongings before securing the bag. Believe me, it's no day at the beach having to go through people's personal belongings. Latex surgical gloves are worn.

On disembarkation day, U.S. Customs might ask you to open your bag on the way out of the cruise terminal. You will see them standing at the exits always studying people's faces, expressions and demeanor. The Dept. of Agriculture uses beagle dogs to smell for and possibly detect any agricultural products that are not allowed into the US. Narcotics detection K-9's are used to locate possible narcotics in pax' luggage before the pax come in to the cruise terminal to retrieve them. Explosives detection K-9's are used to detect possible explosives in supplies coming on board the ship. All this is a cooperative effort by federal, state and local agencies for the passenger's safety. My hat's off to all these individuals!

Serendipity is correct as far as who and when your bags might get searched/inspected. The majority of the time, TSA will open a bag/suitcase and inspect the contents out of view of the owner and always at the airport, after you've checked them in at the airline counter. If they do this, they are supposed to place the small TSA info card on top of your belongings before securing the bag. Believe me, it's no day at the beach having to go through people's personal belongings. Latex surgical gloves are worn.

On disembarkation day, U.S. Customs might ask you to open your bag on the way out of the cruise terminal. You will see them standing at the exits always studying people's faces, expressions and demeanor. The Dept. of Agriculture uses beagle dogs to smell for and possibly detect any agricultural products that are not allowed into the US. Narcotics detection K-9's are used to locate possible narcotics in pax' luggage before the pax come in to the cruise terminal to retrieve them. Explosives detection K-9's are used to detect possible explosives in supplies coming on board the ship. All this is a cooperative effort by federal, state and local agencies for the passenger's safety. My hat's off to all these individuals!

I agree with you wholeheartedly John. However, my hats are off the those little Beagles who are so incredibly cute and precious but are most definitely going to turn you in if you are in violation of the law - ditto for the K-9's which are usually, if I'm not mistaken, German Shepherds (or German Police Dogs - slightly smaller than the Shepherds - or do I have that backwards?).

Valerie - proud slave of a Beagle and former slave of a German Shepherd:D

Hi Valerie:) They can be German shepherds and/or Belgian Malinois (the smaller version of the shepherd) and/or labrador retrievers (black, yellow, etc. labs) - all great dogs (incl. your beagles;) ) and even better partners who aim to please!

Thanks John for the clarification. I'm not familiar with the Belgian Malinois breed but I have a couple of Labrador Retrievers nearby as good and cherished neighbors - sweet dogs and great watchdogs! As for my "Mighty Beagle" (well, in his mind anyway), he is my only male companion nowadays (God, how pathetic am I?). but he is a sweet and loving dog - a really lousy watchdog, but even without any training whatsoever he could certainly detect any hint of food within a hundred miles - no wonder they use the Beagles for sniffing out agricultural products - those dogs, God bless them, love their food, but they are truly family-oriented and sweet-tempered dogs. Nothing makes them happier than being part of the family. It is my privilege to be his "slave".

Valerie:D

I found a note in my luggage a few months ago, but strangely absolutely nothing seemed to be disturbed...

Connie

Some of the smaller airports have the baggage Xray and inspection in the ticketing area in full view of the passengers. I have watched them do the inspections a few times. Usually, the inspector opens the bag, slips a gloved hand into a specific area of the bag, feels a round, puts the card on top and closes the bag. It would seem that there was something that showed on the xray, and that the inspector could determine what it was by feel and didn't have a need to remove contents. I have seen them go through a few bags where they laid several items out on the table and when they were through , put everything back, pretty much as it was. If not for the card, most people would never know the bags had been opened.

When inspections first started I was uneasy about leaving my luggage unlocked so, like a dumby I put a lock on the bag. They clipped the lock and left a message in the bag. Now heres the strange part. If you think that HAL does not check baggage your mistaken. I put a new lock on the bag prior to boarding the ship. When it was delivered the lock had been clipped off by HAL - no message in the bag, only the remains of my lock.

Since then I have gone to plastic ties, which works well but to this day I still wonder what prompted TSA and HAL to go into my bag ?

Archived