Train - Civitavecchia to Pisa

cheeriomom

Our cruise ends in Civitavecchia, we are taking the train to Pisa. Just wondering what time frame we should be looking to book for, what's the earliest people have gotten to the station, knowing it's a process once you get off the ship. TIA!

Rather than dealing with the crush and getting the earliest train, I'd look for the fastest train.

We were on the Epic this past Sept ( embarked Barcelona).  We figured the Civi station would be busy early due to people leaving the cruise and everyone else heading to Rome for the day.  So we took our time.  We probably got off the ship around 8:30, took the free shuttle to the port entrance, then the city bus to the station. We had good timing and only waited about 5 minutes for each bus.  The station was VERY busy; the machines and the agents.  The store directly next door had a sign "RT TICKETS ONLY" so we bought tickets for the 9:30am EXPRESS to Rome. 15 minutes later we were on our way to Rome.  I'd say it took 45 minutes from the time we left the ship to when we arrived at the station and that was getting a later start, so I imagine earlier would take more time due to the crowds.

This doesn't really answer your question, but hope our experience helps you.

An odd train schedule actually takes the decision out of your hands.

There is a big gap in the schedule between Civitavecchia and Pisa, on weekdays as well as Sundays.  There is a Frecce train at 7:46, and not another of any kind until an IC at 10:47.

Unless you're in a big hurry to get to Pisa, I would wait for the 10:47.  That will allow you to enjoy a leisurely last breakfast aboard ship and an unrushed trip to the train station.  The crowds will have died down at the station by then, as all of the day trippers will be in Rome or well on their way.

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

No, you can't count on a taxi at the port willing to take you one mile to the station.  From the shuttle bus drop off to the station is one mile, either on foot or by public bus (2 euro).

Thanks. Didn't think so. 

If you are trying to catch the 7:46 train, I'd try to be off the ship an hour ahead of that. I'd do self-disembark and also would have pre-purchased tickets for the train.  

Even from the port gates/shuttle hub to the station, it's unlikely you'll find a taxi, so you are really at the mercy of the port shuttle bus schedule inside the port and the public bus once you exit the port. In both cases you may have some wait time involved. Generally if all goes well, you can make it in about 45 minutes, but too often there is some snafu that eats up time.  

Keep in mind that you also will likely have to get yourselves and any luggage down and then up a full flight of stairs at the train station (no elevator), so packing light is highly recommended.

Of course, if you buy the tickets ahead of time and can't make the train, that's money lost....  

We did the same train 10:47 to Pisa a few weeks ago after disembarking the Edge and were waiting around for hours. We even stalled on the ship. I would try for the earlier train. As others have noted - you will have to take the complimentary shuttle from the ship out of the port area where you can catch the bus to train station for 2 euros. We didnt have a ton of luggage so elected to walk (since we had time). Walk is easy and only about 15-20 minutes.

Edited by tbenson81