Walk me through embarkation (San Juan)

piggiepuff

So this is silly, but I just like to know what to expect.  On the other cruise lines we've done, you go into the building, get up to the counter, they go through your papers, take your picture, give you your card, and send you off to the ship.  We've gotten into San Juan very early each morning of our previous cruises, so we went to the port and were close to the front of the line to get inside each time.  

I finished my check in last night for our upcoming cruise.  The email I got after said that we can only come during our assigned time and that our cards will be by our room door.  So what else do we do for embarkation?  Also, do they turn you away if you get there earlier than your time?  We are staying overnight the night before and we have to check out by noon.  

I don't remember anything special for our San Juan cruise last year (this was before the new room keys). I think you will be fine staying at your hotel until noon (walking around and enjoying yourself in Old Town or whatever). We were in a Concierge room last year. If in a standard room I'd plan to arrive around 12:30 - 1:00 for a late lunch. What is your scheduled arrival time?

Summit Boarding

The boarding process has been expedited since the redo, take your picture and download it to the checkin. Arrival times are “suggested” not mandatory, so arrive when you can(want). Staff with IPads check you in and then just board, cabin key card is in your cabin.
We’re on the Summit again(got off on10/26/19) next week(12/14/19), so if there are any boarding changes I’ll post them.

Hal

We were on Summit last week and boarded earlier than our "appointment" time.  Process was exactly the same as you've experienced, except now you go to your cabin to get your cards and can drop off carry-on luggage.  Even though we'd uploaded photos during online check in, they still took new pictures.

I did not bother to take my picture and upload it in advance

So I needed to pause for a few seconds at the San Juan terminal to have my picture taken when I arrived there.

That was definitely much faster than it would have been for me to take and upload my picture myself in advance.

Edited by varoo