First Timers on MSC

jajackson

Hi

I too am on my first MSC cruise on the Armonia. 

I can only imagine what the OP was asking for, but I too have been on many Carnival cruises as well as on NCL, RCL, HAL, Princess and very often on the smaller older ships. I understand how similar these cruise lines are as well as their differences. 

What I would like to know is what to expect. What is special. What should I make sure to do or avoid. Someone tells me that there is no bar soap and another contributor laughs at that. Why? That is information. That is what I want to know. Tell me what to expect. If I need to bring bar soap, tell me so I can. 

This thread so far hasn't told me very much except to not expect very much because the Armonia is a small older ship, and of course they have no bar soap (which at least one person thinks is funny). 

So, for a new person to MSC cruise line, try to tell me what I can expect if my first sailing is on the Armonia.

thanks for any information

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Someone tells me that there is no bar soap and another contributor laughs at that. Why?

I think that the laughable part was not the lack of a bar of soap, but the notion that their cruise was ruined because of that among other things. 

23 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

What I would like to know is what to expect. 

This thread so far hasn't told me very much

I attempted to make a comprehensive list on post #5, but I’ll be happy to answer any specific questions to help you get a better picture. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, Tapi said:

- Expect a more international mix of passengers and culturally diverse experience, including announcements made in several languages.

- Expect customer service to appeal to a more European clientele, but don’t think of it as being unfriendly. It’s just different than what Americans would expect. 

- Expect entertainment to be less verbal. No comedians, no dueling pianos, etc. Once again, entertainment is geared to appeal to a broad multi-lingual clientele. 

- Expect some idiosyncrasies to be different than what you’re used to. For example, you need to set up your onboard account yourself at one of the self service kiosks onboard. 

- It’s true. There’s no Guy Burgers or equivalent on MSC. But expect food to be a bit more diverse, with a heavy selection of Italian Entrees. 

Have a great cruise! Enjoy! 

Hi 

I did read that post. It didn't tell me much. 

Above, you can see, I cut out the parts where you suggest not to compare it to other cruise lines, and not to have too great expectations. I understand that. What's left here is that you didn't tell me anything tangible about the ship. 

Yes, yes. More diverse passenger mix. They speak many languages, so do I. Yes it's different. I understand. Entertainment...was there anything exceptional, where should I go? Food...what did you think was well done. I've eaten in Italy, what was good. Any good bars, any special drinks? That's what someone who has never experienced something would like to know, including if there is no bar soap. What would you think is important to know/understand if you have never dealt with that company before, besides "it's different". 

"Some idiosyncrasies", I understand, I'll manage. Tell me what to look for that is special. Tell me what to avoid. 

hope you can help

On 12/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, scpirate said:

Well said.as soon as they say they only sailed carnival you know they are coming back with a bad review 9/10.some of us don't rank carnival high on the list.my idea of a good cruise is different from theirs.i haven't been on armonia but I watched some video tours .I would rather pay a little more and be on msc seaside.thats just me.

Hi

Come on, give me a break. Is this all you can come up with when someone ask for "pointers" on what to look out for when trying something for the first time. Yes, you didn't answer the OP at all. I guess that was because you had never been on the Armonia and didn't really have anything constructive to add to the discussion. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

"Some idiosyncrasies", I understand, I'll manage. Tell me what to look for that is special. Tell me what to avoid. 

hope you can help

You are asking an impossible question.

Any answer you might receive will only be a very personal opinion based on that person's perspective.

I suggest that you go with an open mind and try what is available for yourself.  You may find things that you love that others hate (like the liquid soap in the shower, the international make up of the crew and passengers) and hate what others love (the pizza, the wide array of food from different cultures in the buffet or the entertainment on board).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

You are asking an impossible question.

Any answer you might receive will only be a very personal opinion based on that person's perspective.

I suggest that you go with an open mind and try what is available for yourself.  You may find things that you love that others hate (like the liquid soap in the shower, the international make up of the crew and passengers) and hate what others love (the pizza, the wide array of food from different cultures in the buffet or the entertainment on board).

Hi

Have you never read this same sort of question on the Cruise lines threads for other cruise lines? 

That's what we are asking. Tell me what you thought about anything. Tell me what you thought was good or bad. Tell me what you thought was missing. Of course it's your opinion, I understand that. 

It's got to be better information than "So if you don’t like the Armonia, you can always give MSC a try again aboard one of her newer ships that better reflect what MSC truly has to offer." That's what Tapi's final summation was when trying to be helpful. 

If there is really nothing outstanding, then tell me that. It's quite easy. 

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

What's left here is that you didn't tell me anything tangible about the ship. 

Entertainment...was there anything exceptional, where should I go? Food...what did you think was well done. I've eaten in Italy, what was good. Any good bars, any special drinks? That's what someone who has never experienced something would like to know, including if there is no bar soap.

What would you think is important to know/understand if you have never dealt with that company before, besides "it's different". 

The message that I was trying to convey about things to expect was more about MSC as a whole, rather than about things that may be ship specific, because those things in my opinion, are the differences that make MSC unique, and the ones that people who’ve never sailed on a non-American cruise line should be aware of. 

Unlike newer ships on the MSC fleet, Armonia was a “hand me down” ship, so it lacks things found on ships that were specifically built for MSC. Decor wise and layout wise, she doesn’t look like an MSC ship. What’s tangible about this ship in particular has to do more about what she lacks rather than what she does have.

There’s no Galleria, no atriums with Swarovski crystal staircases, no myriad of specialty restaurants, no Yacht Club, no Sportsplex, no Cirque du Soleil performances, no Polar Aqua Park, no suites with their own jacuzzi tubs, etc. That’s why I said that if someone sails on this particular ship and doesn’t like it, then they should consider sailing on a newer ship to see what MSC truly has to offer. Armonia is a much more traditional ship that incorporates venues more commonly found on any cruise ship on any cruise line. For a better feel about what the ship looks like, and what bars and other venues she has, respectfully you’d probably be better off going on YouTube and watching a ship tour.

Things that you may consider important may not be important to me. Unfortunately on Cruise Critic, members don’t know much about each other, so it’s hard to make a comprehensive and specific list of what’s important that would apply to everyone. For example, for me, I can tell you all about Doremiland, the kids facilities and programs, the water park, the sports district, as well as kids sail free promotions, because that’s what’s is of upmost importance to me at this stage in my life, but I couldn’t tell you much about bars because that’s not as important to me, although I could tell you that on my last MSC cruise, the only bar I attended regularly was the Brass Anchor Pub where I’d enjoy a few Lagunitas IPA’s every night. Probably not super important or pertinent information form my point of view, but it may be to others.

Food, as we all know, is a highly subjective topic. Some people rave about the Italian inspired entrees on MSC (I personally loved to create my own antipasto with various cheeses and meats which I think MSC delivers extremely well), while others hate it and would much rather have a juicy American style burger, which MSC delivers poorly in my humble opinion. But once again, that’s why I pointed that out as one of the things to expect when sailing on MSC.

After reading all of this, you may be left feeling as if you still don't have as much information as you’d like before setting sail on MSC. In my humble opinion, there’s no better way to learn about them than to actually experience MSC firsthand. Keep reading reviews, as many as you can, and chances are that different people will touch on different things that may be important to you.

Happy sailing! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Have you never read this same sort of question on the Cruise lines threads for other cruise lines? 

That's what we are asking. Tell me what you thought about anything. Tell me what you thought was good or bad. Tell me what you thought was missing. Of course it's your opinion, I understand that. 

It's got to be better information than "So if you don’t like the Armonia, you can always give MSC a try again aboard one of her newer ships that better reflect what MSC truly has to offer." That's what Tapi's final summation was when trying to be helpful. 

If there is really nothing outstanding, then tell me that. It's quite easy. 

In fairness, if you spend some time reading the threads in this forum and spend some time doing research around the internet, you'll find the answers to your questions without this weird fight.

I just really wanted to know everyone’s opinion. Likes and dislikes about Armonia. Things I shouldn’t miss. Things I should pass up. Maybe some insider tips. Happy hours? Favorite bartenders? Best deck chairs? Favorite specialty cocktails? Things like that. 

Nobody’s opinion is right or wrong. I want to hear them all. That’s why I asked for opinions. 

Also, just because I’ve always sailed on Carnival doesn’t mean I’m gonna come back and give a bad review. Things would have to be ridiculously bad for me to leave a bad review. And I know it’s not gonna be just like Carnival, they’re completely different cruise lines. I just threw that in because I was hoping for you guys compare and contrast. Example

On carnival: sail and sign card set up before sailing and is in the cabin mailbox upon boarding

On Armonia: I found out that u have to go to a kiosk to set it up. And I still don’t know where u actually get ur card. 

Stuff like that. Thanks!

3 hours ago, jhaagens said:

In fairness, if you spend some time reading the threads in this forum and spend some time doing research around the internet, you'll find the answers to your questions without this weird fight.

Hi

Exactly my point. This type of question is asked everyday on any number of other cruiseline threads about any given ship and your best effort would be "just do some research". Or better still Tapi's line "there’s no better way to learn about them than to actually experience MSC firsthand". Thanks for the effort.

Read the OP's post just above this. It's not complicated. Just tell us MSC newbies one thing that might be important to know. Tell us one dinner that you liked. I won't hold it against you if I try it and disagree. Tell one show that you saw that was fun for you (yes, an opinion). One drink that you had never tried before and enjoyed. I am not trying to ask for any comparison to anything else. 

Sorry, if it sounds like I am coming off the wrong way, but it doesn't seem that complicated to me. See...an opinion.

It looks like this thread is going in circles. I suggest the OP and others who want opinions about the ship do a quick search and read what has already been posted. Might save you some dizziness. Folks complain about the search feature on here, but Ive been able to figure out how to make it useful. I do searches all the time. Easy peasy. 

Tapi and I have been trying to give you all information but somehow what we are saying is not coming through.

One more attempt and then I give up.

MSC is tied to its roots of Italy and  Naples in particular. Its clientele is international in scope. To enjoy your cruise, learn about the following:

The tying of alcohol consumption to mealtimes which means the two fisted drinking culture of Carnival does not exist on MSC ships. During the day, the bars that will be open will be on the pool deck (maybe one elsewhere in the ship, but don't count on it). We noted that any drinks served on deck seem to be lighter pours than those that might be served later in the evening  in other bars (no, many MSC cruisers will not have a favorite bar tender or exotic drink to talk about).

There is a recommended dress code on board. Read it, understand it and follow it. Most of your fellow cruisers will be very well dressed (during the day they will be wearing casual clothing that many would think was appropriate for Carnival when going to the dining room on a dressy night).  Evenings, many will be dressed for an evening out (even the children).  

Yes, one may decide to follow the more casual dress of Carnival or NCL, but you will stand out. Up to you, but don't try to wear exercise clothing during the day (i.e., gym shorts and men's tank tops ) into the buffet or dining room. The buffet supervisor or MDR maitre d' most likely will turn you away.

Learn about the eating habits in Italy. While MSC has tried to somewhat adapt to the "Gobble and Go" expectations  of some US cruisers in the MDR, that style of "dining" does not fit into the attitude that MSC fosters (time to relax and enjoy the food and one's tablemates).

One hint: if you want bread throughout your meal, take what you will need when the waitstaff offers the bread at the start of the meal. Bread is usually not passed after the first course.

Learn about what pizza is in Naples  and the proud standards that are adhered to. Many of the toppings that you may think should be available, will not be such as pineapple, chicken, BBQ sauce, etc.  

Do try the various ethnic offerings in the Buffet. There is some good stuff out there.

• Like 2

Since we sailed on the Armonia twice in the past year and before the dry dock. The first time we were in an OV fantastica experience cabin deck 9. the cabin was compact we had enough storage the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was small and the shower was one of the smallest we ever had. The shower curtain likes to get up close and personal. The 2nd cruise we did a suite deck 10 cabin 1034 Aurea experience the cabin was a good  size a bit bigger than a balcony on say Carnival ,RC, Princess, celebrity. The bathroom has a tub.

The service was the best we have ever experienced on both cruises our favorite bar was Il Griesole Albert was the best bartender and Benson was a fantastic bar attendant. The guest service staff were always kind and efficient although only had to stop there twice.

The first cruise we ate in the main dining room and the food was good the Osso Buco was great.

The 2nd cruise we had the smaller dining room for just Aurea guests and the service was fantastic the food came out hot.

The pizza was very good up on deck.

We enjoyed the spa and thought the ladies did a great facial.

The cruise director and staff were engaging and very friendly. The white party up on deck was fun.

The shows we thought were good the vocals better than  on most cruises we have been on. Not all shows were our cup of tea (we didn't like the Adams Family or the Abyss.)

We also enjoyed the white Lion pub where you can get snack food included in the cruise fare.(spinach artichoke dip, Cuban sandwich.)

We learned from the first cruise to bring bar soap with us and now always travel with it not a fan of liquid soap/gel. 

Also we were not able to get tissues on the last sailing so we just used toilet paper until I remembered I had tissue packets in our carry on.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, jajackson said:

I just really wanted to know everyone’s opinion. Likes and dislikes about Armonia. Things I shouldn’t miss. Things I should pass up. Maybe some insider tips. Happy hours? Favorite bartenders? Best deck chairs? Favorite specialty cocktails? Things like that. 

Nobody’s opinion is right or wrong. I want to hear them all. That’s why I asked for opinions. 

Also, just because I’ve always sailed on Carnival doesn’t mean I’m gonna come back and give a bad review. Things would have to be ridiculously bad for me to leave a bad review. And I know it’s not gonna be just like Carnival, they’re completely different cruise lines. I just threw that in because I was hoping for you guys compare and contrast. Example

On carnival: sail and sign card set up before sailing and is in the cabin mailbox upon boarding

On Armonia: I found out that u have to go to a kiosk to set it up. And I still don’t know where u actually get ur card. 

Stuff like that. Thanks!

Hi, following your thread.  We just booked the Armonia for August.  This will be our 7th cruise, all the previous ones on Carnival, so I understand where you are coming from.  Hopefully I will find an A to Z of the MSC experience.

• Thanks 1

I won't write any more about this cruise line as I was joked on my last post, the people on cruise critic love to poke fun at others opinions which is very sad but true.......  The food will be more European. The shows will be Italian operas. The ship will be gorgeous. There won't be tons and tons of fun activities like trivia, comedy shows, etc like you would find on Carnival, which we happen to enjoy. The cabins are very nice with lots of storage.  It just was not a cruise line for us.  But if you want to experience something different on your cruise then try out MSC. I am sure the price will be lower then other cruise lines.  I would check utube to see if someone posted a picture of the ship and your cabin type.  That would be a start anyways. Enjoy your cruise. I hope you have a nice time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got off the Armonia last week. I get what you are asking as there wasn’t a ton of stuff written specifically about the Armonia, and most of what is out there was not overly positive. I had pretty low expectations going in and I’d have to say even though a lot of stuff went wrong on our cruise it was one of my favorite cruises. I do intend to make a thread based on my experiences but here are a few things for now. 

In an inside the showers are super small. I eventually took to showering with the curtain mainly open before heading out to the show/ dinner. You can aim the shower head well enough that it doesn’t get everywhere and then clean up with your towel and get new towels during the evening turndown service. Wish I had done this from the start. 

There are cookies and scones during the buffet afternoon snack hours. I brought ziplock backs and would keep a couple spares in the room for an anytime snack. Also the desserts in the pay coffee bar are free. The chocolate cake there is good and one of the only real cakes you will find. The cake in the dining room is usually mousse. 

If you are invited to any of the receptions with free beverages they started early on my sailing and ended early as well. They were also inconsistent about collecting invitations verses just taking cabin numbers. Always have your invitation, it’s just easier. And do sign up for the cruise critic meet and mingle here. It’s fun. 

I will I’ll try to remember to post back when I’ve done my full review but may forget do keep an eye out. I hope you enjoy the Armonia as much as we did. 

• Thanks 1

Just did a short Divina cruise and I would sail MSC again.  The beds WERE hard, however.  I thought the food was good on the buffet and in dining room.  The only thing lacking was the deserts.  If you enjoy Guys Burgers on Carnival, would will probably be disappointed with MSCs burgers.  I thought the shows were good and service very good.  

• Thanks 1

aprilF, great pointers, I did a review of Armonia after our September cruise on her, we are sailing out again on the Armonia in about 16 days, have enjoyed all MSC ships we have been on. Have been wondering what was done during November Dry Dock.

• Like 1